News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Yes that's true I do agree but from my prespective, I already paid for the standard flooring so if I get that installed or not its paid for.. If I chooce to get my floor re-done after the fact the cost I am comparing will be total floor cost + installation labour regardless of what I paid for the origional flooring... Laminate flooring without labour is only a few $ per sq ft.. depending on the brand and style..

In a condo I would definitely stay with laminate as opposed to hardwood - the pros and cons were discussed earlier in another thread if you can find it.

Does anyone know if there is a standard rule about do-it-yourself upgrades - particularly flooring - during interim occupancy? Given that you don't actually own the unit until final closing, do most developers request you wait to install flooring until final closing? I've heard many purchasers say "I'll install the floors myself for half the price" and I assume they mean before any furniture has been moved in...

In terms of doing things after your unit closes what kind of dofficulties will one experience? Are there a set of rules they must follow or does it range condo to condo?

More specifically I am looking into redoing my kitchen cabinets with a possible design change (currently a | | shape, looking to do a L with an island..) + new counters + moving the sink... Will I have issues getting approval if I want to move the sink? Essentially the pipe comes from he wall and I want to angle it right instead of it going straight out to where it is now...

If anyone can point me to any documents or any info that would be great!

Thanks
Matt

We cannot find it.

The upshot of the conversation is that hardwood gets totally destroyed with high heels - especially stilettos. So if you do any entertaining, expect thousands of pock marks all over your hardwood. This doesn't happen with laminate. Also, hardwood transfers sound more than laminate (unless you seriously upgrade the underpadding), so you might encounter noise issues with neighbours. Some of the new laminates are really nice and almost indistinguishable from hardwood. Plus, the whole advantage of hardwood is that you can resurface it - but personally, with the inexpensive cost of laminate and the lack of places to store your furniture while redoing your hardwood in a condo, it makes that option kind of moot.

Anyone know if microwaves with integrated hood/fan typically vent to the exterior or do they use a charcol filter with a reversed fan?

Anyone know if microwaves with integrated hood/fan typically vent to the exterior or do they use a charcol filter with a reversed fan?

to be certain, check your feature sheet in the Agreement of Purchase and Sale; but from what i recall they are vented to the exterior.

Ya I don't see it in there.. The washer/dryer specifically states vented to the exterior but the microwave specifies nothing other the integrated fan/hood....

Almost all new condos are vented to the exterior. Which sucks as it creates tons of unnecessary bulkheads.

Almost all new condos are vented to the exterior. Which sucks as it creates tons of unnecessary bulkheads.

but the benefit of having fans vented to the exterior is actual usable kitchens that can PROPERLY handle to fumes without have the fumes/smoke blowning around inside your unit when you do some serious cooking ~ :D

I definitely would prefer the bulkheads for vents over the useless kitchen fans

but the benefit of having fans vented to the exterior is actual usable kitchens that can PROPERLY handle to fumes without have the fumes/smoke blowning around inside your unit when you do some serious cooking ~ :D

I definitely would prefer the bulkheads for vents over the useless kitchen fans

Totally agree with ya!

I believe most new condos have kitchen range hood vent to outside, not using carbon filter and circulates the air.

Speaking of ventilation, can the washroom ventilation fan completely shut off in condos? My friend's washroom fan at minto midtown is always spinning, the switch only makes it spins faster or slower, but never completely off.

I believe most new condos have kitchen range hood vent to outside, not using carbon filter and circulates the air.

Speaking of ventilation, can the washroom ventilation fan completely shut off in condos? My friend's washroom fan at minto midtown is always spinning, the switch only makes it spins faster or slower, but never completely off.

kitchen: venting to outside also helps eliminate lingering smells coming from your neighbours kitchen ... nothing like having to walk past curry, garlic, deep fried, onions, fish, etc.
that was a common problem with apt/condo buildings from the 70s, 80s, 90s but i still think the exhaust fans are insufficient for today's lifestyles.

washroom: have they checked the circuit breaker to see if it's on a separate switch ?

Last edited:

Back