News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I can't vouch for it, but this recently opened on the periphery of Corktown...
https://www.facebook.com/blackirishoystersaloon

Been twice, it's definitely worth disregarding the reputation of the Queen & Sherbourne corner and visiting. One of the owners is a guy who used to cook at the Triple A bar a few blocks west. The Black Irish food is above average, great wings, and they get their oysters from Rodney's. The menu is a quite interesting amalgam of traditional pub food and West Indian food, particularly the brunch. The beer selection is decent. They've done a good job renovating the inside, and the side patio is quite nice if you don't mind cigarette smoke.

Time for some unfounded speculation!

The Dominion pub, as of late, has had increasingly short hours. .... Has anybody heard anything?

I've always thought this place could be so much more. I used to go occasionally 5 or 6 years ago, at that time they'd brought in a new chef and improved the menu and the food wasn't too bad, though the prices increased a bit. Then that chef left and the remaining kitchen staff couldn't seem to hold the standards and the food became awful -- but they kept the higher prices. Then I became annoyed because even though they always had a great looking draft beer list, they were almost always out of most of it. Gradually new bars opened around my area and I just stopped going to the Dominion. I would love a reason to return, that building deserves to be a destination.

One of the other issues with the Dominion is that they have a great patio, but because of its exposure gets little direct sunlight (mornings / early afternoon hit it the most). Yet they open at 3 on weekends. Given how dank it is on the inside, i find little other reason to go .

I can't vouch for it, but this recently opened on the periphery of Corktown...

Sherbourne's definitely beyond "periphery" of Corktown - Berkeley's considered the eastern edge. Black Irish is a pretty good place though. Hopefully it gets past the notoriety of that corner.

Corktown's definition seems to have changed over the years (and still does depending on who you are talking to). When I lived at Richmond/Sherbourne (early 2000s), everyone called it Corktown. Now most seem to think of it beginning a little east of there.

An older map...
map_19.gif

Attachments

• map_19.gif
    map_19.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 859
Corktown's definition seems to have changed over the years (and still does depending on who you are talking to). When I lived at Richmond/Sherbourne (early 2000s), everyone called it Corktown. Now most seem to think of it beginning a little east of there.

An older map...
View attachment 31616

Interesting. I've always known Corktown to run from Parliament to the Don Valley and Front to Queen, similar to how Google reports it: https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Co...2!3m1!1s0x89d4cb3fbb9cc85f:0x50a93ae02faed24a

I believe the street signs reflect this as well.

EDIT: Wikipedia says it extends to Jarvis only along Queen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corktown,_Toronto#mediaviewer/File:Corktown_map.PNG

Last edited:
There is no official boundary. You're both correct. Corktown is whatever you believe it to be.

Corktown's definition of Corktown;
http://corktown.ca/about/

For comparison the St Lawrence area is defined, by the St Lawrence Neighbourhood Association (and the BIA who have very similar boundaries) at: www.slna.ca. Yes, there is an overlap between Berkeley and Parliament but that's fine. Nobody said neighbourhoods have firm boundaries! (The St Lawrence BIA is an official BIA and is thus funded by compulsory dues from businesses in their area, the Corktown association is NOT a BIA so their dues are voluntary.)

Any news on when the King/River bridge is re-opening - and presumably letting the 504 traverse Corktown again?

I noticed that Waterfront Toronto had posted the July minutes of the West Don Lands Construction Liaison Committee noting that the micro pilling work was to begin mid-July and that bridge repair should be complete for September. Apparently there was to have been another committee meeting earlier this week, so presumably this has been updated.

Any news on when the King/River bridge is re-opening - and presumably letting the 504 traverse Corktown again?

I noticed that Waterfront Toronto had posted the July minutes of the West Don Lands Construction Liaison Committee noting that the micro pilling work was to begin mid-July and that bridge repair should be complete for September. Apparently there was to have been another committee meeting earlier this week, so presumably this has been updated.
The TTC signage on the street and TTC website both say 'late November". I have my doubts but I guess we will find out, no obvious sign of work on the bridge piles but ...

The TTC signage on the street and TTC website both say 'late November". I have my doubts but I guess we will find out, no obvious sign of work on the bridge piles but ...
I think we've already established that TTC is far further out of the loop on when that bridge is to re-open than Waterfront Toronto ... and even us. :)

Back