News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I think we've already established that TTC is far further out of the loop on when that bridge is to re-open than Waterfront Toronto ... and even us. :)
How true, but the bottom line is that if the TTC are not ready the 504 will not return to this stretch of King. In a rather out-of-character move they actually started to put up the new overhead from the bridge to Virgin Place while the work was going on at King & Sumach and while the bridge was closed. They have not yet reinstalled it and until they do it does not actually matter if the bridge has reopened or not!

How true, but the bottom line is that if the TTC are not ready the 504 will not return to this stretch of King. In a rather out-of-character move they actually started to put up the new overhead from the bridge to Virgin Place while the work was going on at King & Sumach and while the bridge was closed. They have not yet reinstalled it and until they do it does not actually matter if the bridge has reopened or not!
True ... but presumably if the bridge were to suddenly re-open, they'd prioritize this. I think the crews have been busy with Broadview north of Gerrard and Queens Quay in recent weeks. I was quite surprised to see 3 TTC overhead trucks working on the Broadview wires a few weeks ago, at about 2 AM north of Gerrard ... even though there was no service, so they could have done it all in daytime.

- Tandem Coffee has finally opened on King East at Trinity. One of the owners, Michie, will be a familiar face if you've visited either location of the Rooster Cafe in recent years, or the Black Canary cafe back when it was Bisogno. It's a cozy spot with a peaceful vibe.

Finally made it out to Tandem on the weekend. It's a lovely space, Eugene and Michie are delightful, and the americano, brownie and yuzu soda we had were delicious. Highly recommended.

The plans to build a restaurant at 501 King East (the "blue building') seem to be moving ahead. They have an application at the Committee of Adjustment on 222 October:

35. 501 KING ST E
File Number:
A0179/14TEY
Zoning
I1 D3 (WAIVER)
Ward:
Toronto Centre-Rosedale (28)
Property Address:
501 KING ST E
Community:
Toronto
Legal Description:
PLAN D226 PT LOT 5
PURPOSE OF THE APPLICATION:
To construct a new three-storey restaurant.
REQUESTED VARIANCE(S) TO THE ZONING BY-LAW:
Section 4(14)(A), By-law 438-86
The required minimum distance to the original centre line of the public lane is 3.0 m.
The new building will be located 1.8 m from the original centre line of the public lane.

The plans to build a restaurant at 501 King East (the "blue building') seem to be moving ahead. They have an application at the Committee of Adjustment on 222 October:

35. 501 KING ST E
File Number:
A0179/14TEY
Zoning
I1 D3 (WAIVER)
Ward:
Toronto Centre-Rosedale (28)
Property Address:
501 KING ST E
Community:
Toronto
Legal Description:
PLAN D226 PT LOT 5
PURPOSE OF THE APPLICATION:
To construct a new three-storey restaurant.
REQUESTED VARIANCE(S) TO THE ZONING BY-LAW:
Section 4(14)(A), By-law 438-86
The required minimum distance to the original centre line of the public lane is 3.0 m.
The new building will be located 1.8 m from the original centre line of the public lane.

It's going to be Gusto 501, from the people who run Gusto 101 on Portland Street in King West.

http://www.torontolife.com/tag/gusto-501/

http://toronto.eater.com/tags/gusto-501

http://toronto.curbed.com/archives/...chinatown-is-buzzing-about-peoples-eatery.php

The TTC signage on the street and TTC website both say 'late November". I have my doubts but I guess we will find out, no obvious sign of work on the bridge piles but ...
A few weeks ago they changed the website reopening date from November 2014 to February 2015.

And now the city has replaced the Fall 2014 signage on the street to Spring 2015. Sadly my joke a few pages and months ago about it being 2015 or 2016, now seems optimistic ...

For amusement - here's the original diversion notice. From September 9 to November 2013 - http://web.archive.org/web/20130919..._Advisories/Route_diversions/504_King_bdg.jsp

Waterfront Toronto has a lengthy update on the King/Queen bridge in their weekly email (on behalf of Infrastructure Ontario):

Before redevelopment of the West Don Lands - including the Athletes’ Village/Canary District - could occur it was first necessary to implement a series of flood mitigation measures. In spring 2012, the construction of the flood protection landform (FPL) by Infrastructure Ontario was nearing completion.

The FPL is an engineering feat that is essentially a 4-metre high berm that creates a flood barrier along the west side of the Don River. It protects 201 hectares (519 acres) and an estimated $162 million in potential flood damage from catastrophic storm events. The FPL has also provided the base for Corktown Common, the area’s signature park.

One of the final pieces of work to complete the FPL was the installation of a backflow preventer on an existing storm sewer beneath the King-Queen bridge. The backflow preventer is a pipe the size of a bus that will allow stormwater to flow out to the Don River but will prevent flooding from flowing back on to adjacent lands. Without it, the FPL would be ineffective.

When excavation for the installation of the backflow preventer began, it quickly became clear to Infrastructure Ontario that the century-old bridge footings would need to be fortified before any further work could continue. The work currently underway below the bridge is required to reinforce the structure and extend the life of this important piece of infrastructure. The work is complex and takes time.

Work to-date has included the installation of a series of micro piles. Micro piles are small diameter rods drilled into bedrock adjacent to the bridge columns to reinforce the columns and support the bridge span. The micro piles are encased in a steel pipe and then filled with concrete grout for stability.

Work has also included reinforcing the existing columns and column bases. The column bases have been reinforced with large steel I-Beams where the column bases meet the back flow preventer and diagonal bracing has been installed on the columns for further reinforcement.

Future work includes pouring new concrete pile caps and incorporating them into the existing bridge footings, as well as performing work to ensure the bridge columns are level and plumb. New column bearing plates will be installed at the same time.

Infrastructure Ontario expects to complete the work in early 2015 and is grateful for the community’s patience. Infrastructure Ontario have updated the signs on the bridge and will make every effort to keep the community up-to-date on the status of work going forward.

For more information or questions about the work being undertaken at the King-Queen bridge please contact info@infrastructureontario.ca.

Back