News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The main reason why the city follows the ‘side road’ principal is due to a report from Stantec years ago that recommended that approach versus locating them on Main Streets. I’ve seen that report but unsure whether it’s accessible on the COE website.
Knack is also a big proponent and cites safety and comfort. But I think that’s more a reflection of horrible main streets like jasper and Whyte, and not of necessarily side streets being better.

And what does it say about the pedestrian experience if the noise, pollution, safety, and comfort of main streets isn’t ideal for biking?

Just looking at the improvements being built for part of 95 Avenue (west), and how, except for 1 measly asphalt shared path, the rest is an absolute failure. That street is way overbuilt. There will be no reduction in car lanes, no reduction in turning lanes, no reduction in service roads. Even the trees in the medians will be removed for the safe zone. Looks like some engineer got his sticky paws on it and designed it based on a car algorithm. Come on, it's 2023! Edmonton has shown it can do better than that!

Just looking at the improvements being built for part of 95 Avenue (west), and how, except for 1 measly asphalt shared path, the rest is an absolute failure. That street is way overbuilt. There will be no reduction in car lanes, no reduction in turning lanes, no reduction in service roads. Even the trees in the medians will be removed for the safe zone. Looks like some engineer got his sticky paws on it and designed it based on a car algorithm. Come on, it's 2023! Edmonton has shown it can do better than that!
Are these the new plans or the old plans?

The released plans earlier this year and I actually reached out to the planner and knack/Hamilton to express how disappointing it was and to point out that it didn’t align with multiple parts of our bike plan, complete streets plan, vision zero, etc.

Apparently they did it all to compromise with all the homeowners complaining. But funny enough, those homeowners still weren’t happy And threatened to sue. So I was told they were going back to the drawing board as a bit of an f u to the residents. They tried to compromise, but if they want to threaten legal action anyways, might as well go all the way.

But I wouldn’t be surprised if the new design was still lacklustre…

I told them that 132nd ave should be the template and the disparity between them both was confusing and illogical. Let’s give the less busy, quieter road the safer bike infrastructure. And the much busier road that connects to the Oliver and downtown grid, multiple major high schools, west Ed, misecordia, a WVLRT stop. Like what. Fricken build something good please CoE. 95ave is a DISTRICT CONNECTOR in the bike plan. A MUP with no intersection changes is stupid.

Seriously? Threatening legal action over a street renewal to put in a bike lane?

Is someone able to link to the prior plans?

I prefer the side roads.

It's not my fault that the "Main St" of Edmonton is the width of a freeway. I'll spend my money on shops along these side streets.

I think the businesses should lobby for a significant road diet to make room for MUPs on Jasper, because the cars are just driving through.

IMG_5356.jpeg
IMG_5357.jpeg

Bike lane getting installed on 111th Street. 👍

The 132nd Avenue Renewal gets mentioned as a positive example of how to redesign a street to work for all roads users.

Nice to see Edmonton continuing to get some positive attention!
I really think people from outside Alberta (or even Edmonton considering a chunk of Calgarians sneer at us) will be very surprised when more of this news and events like it filters out. I personally think a lot of cities (bar Montreal) have really rested on their urbanist laurels for far too long and they're in for a wake up call when Edmonton (out of all places in their opinion) starts to move past them.

Plus hey, more Youtube clout for us is always good!

I really think people from outside Alberta (or even Edmonton considering a chunk of Calgarians sneer at us) will be very surprised when more of this news and events like it filters out. I personally think a lot of cities (bar Montreal) have really rested on their urbanist laurels for far too long and they're in for a wake up call when Edmonton (out of all places in their opinion) starts to move past them.

Plus hey, more Youtube clout for us is always good!
Absolutely. Edmonton's not the prettiest girl at the dance, but we definitely put in the leg work.

IMG_5427.jpeg

Raised bike lane for eastbound bike traffic on 84th Ave between 111th and 112th Street.

The road has been repaved as well. Huge improvement. The old road had some deep pot holes! (And before it was a one way street so you weren’t actually allowed to bike east.)

This completes the 83rd Ave (and this section on 84th Ave) bike route from 112th St Street to the Mill Creek Ravine!

Back