News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Some of you might be interested in this response I got from the Active Transportation team when asking about improvements to crossings for MUPs to better mark them and make people aware of potential bikes in more suburban settings.

Thank you again for contacting us with your questions regarding markings on bike routes in Edmonton.

When planning and designing bike infrastructure, the project team will ensure the design complies with the City’s Complete Streets Design and Construction Standards, which dictate the design requirements for each facility type, including pavement markings, signage requirements and intersection treatments, on a site-specific basis. Green striped pavement markings are used at intersections for designated on-street cycling facilities. Since on-street cycling facilities are typically offset from the pedestrian crossings, the green pavement markings provide a visual indication to both the cyclists using the facility and motorists that an on-street cycling facility is crossing an intersection or accessway.

Under the provincial Traffic Safety Act and Canadian Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices, green pavement markings are reserved for exclusive bike lanes, and cannot be used on shared pathways. Having said that, we have heard from residents about the challenges of understanding whether a route is a shared pathway, and the City is addressing this through the following actions:
  • Trialing the usage of a custom sign at stop/yield controlled intersections to inform drivers to expect two-way bike usage. Here is an example that can be seen on Summit Drive and 142 Street.
  • At signalized intersections on district connector routes, the City’s wayfinding project will include streetblades signs with bike symbols to inform drivers to expect cyclists crossing. Here’s an example at 86 Avenue and 104 St.
  • Explored using elephant’s feet (white squares) at crossings as this is the recommended practice from the Canadian Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices. However, at this time, there are no plans to expand their usage as it would be a significant maintenance increase and it is not clear whether their usage is clear enough to indicate bikes (compared to the signs which clearly have a bike symbol).
  • To construct shared pathways using asphalt rather than with concrete, where possible, to create visual consistency.
  • For slip lane crossings, there is an existing project on the national level to establish the signage and pavement markings for shared pathway crossings. The City is awaiting the decisions in this project prior to adding or changing signage at slip lanes in Edmonton.

Some of you might be interested in this response I got from the Active Transportation team when asking about improvements to crossings for MUPs to better mark them and make people aware of potential bikes in more suburban settings.

Thank you again for contacting us with your questions regarding markings on bike routes in Edmonton.

When planning and designing bike infrastructure, the project team will ensure the design complies with the City’s Complete Streets Design and Construction Standards, which dictate the design requirements for each facility type, including pavement markings, signage requirements and intersection treatments, on a site-specific basis. Green striped pavement markings are used at intersections for designated on-street cycling facilities. Since on-street cycling facilities are typically offset from the pedestrian crossings, the green pavement markings provide a visual indication to both the cyclists using the facility and motorists that an on-street cycling facility is crossing an intersection or accessway.

Under the provincial Traffic Safety Act and Canadian Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices, green pavement markings are reserved for exclusive bike lanes, and cannot be used on shared pathways. Having said that, we have heard from residents about the challenges of understanding whether a route is a shared pathway, and the City is addressing this through the following actions:
  • Trialing the usage of a custom sign at stop/yield controlled intersections to inform drivers to expect two-way bike usage. Here is an example that can be seen on Summit Drive and 142 Street.
  • At signalized intersections on district connector routes, the City’s wayfinding project will include streetblades signs with bike symbols to inform drivers to expect cyclists crossing. Here’s an example at 86 Avenue and 104 St.
  • Explored using elephant’s feet (white squares) at crossings as this is the recommended practice from the Canadian Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices. However, at this time, there are no plans to expand their usage as it would be a significant maintenance increase and it is not clear whether their usage is clear enough to indicate bikes (compared to the signs which clearly have a bike symbol).
  • To construct shared pathways using asphalt rather than with concrete, where possible, to create visual consistency.
  • For slip lane crossings, there is an existing project on the national level to establish the signage and pavement markings for shared pathway crossings. The City is awaiting the decisions in this project prior to adding or changing signage at slip lanes in Edmonton.

In terms of this tactic:
I prefer asphalt where possible - it's cheaper (bikes won't wear it out that quickly) and faster to lay down.

I like that feedback you got. They need something to help drivers understand there is a bike crossing. It's pretty confusing for them. For cyclists it is like rolling the dice every time to cross a roadway hoping someone doesn't roll through it the time you get there. Anything being added to the standard design with the ability to slowly retrofit would be a help to all. Then again, it's frustrating having to hand hold drivers to just become aware that other people exist in the world.

i didn't snap pictures but the Hermitage road cycle tracks were pretty good, i haven't been out there yet. I recall some buzz that yahoos were destroying the bollards but it all seemed okay on the south side anyway. Seems like a quite cost effective and relatively quick way to get a set of lanes in on a way underutilized for its size roadway that would likely work elsewhere, pretty good until the streets need resurfacing and more can be done. 132nd ave's north side path is paved right up to 113 st. that is shaping up to be a nice little connector, my adventures in north Edmonton are really bringing a new apperception for some nice old areas that don't get much love.

I thought about rogue painting elephant squares in the most problematic parts of my commute (mostly in the suburbs) but it would have to be redone every year. Those signs seem effective and should last decades.

What really needs to happen is for suburban drivers to get out of the mindset that pedestrians and cyclists don't exist.

In terms of this tactic:
I prefer asphalt where possible - it's cheaper (bikes won't wear it out that quickly) and faster to lay down.
Agreed. And causes less confusion for non bikers who often see concrete = sidewalk = illegal bikers

I had a guy tell me to go kill myself when he yelled at me to get off the sidewalk on 102ave in glenora and I pointed at the sign 3 feet from his head that said shared pathway haha.

I thought about rogue painting elephant squares in the most problematic parts of my commute (mostly in the suburbs) but it would have to be redone every year. Those signs seem effective and should last decades.

What really needs to happen is for suburban drivers to get out of the mindset that pedestrians and cyclists don't exist.
I also think we should add speed bumps before crosswalks in slip lanes. They need to yield anyways eventually, but a speed bump before will protect them from accelerating through the corner and not looking for p restrains or bikers.

I also think we should add speed bumps before crosswalks in slip lanes. They need to yield anyways eventually, but a speed bump before will protect them from accelerating through the corner and not looking for p restrains or bikers.

I would also add that we should consider adding speed bumps at stop signs next to bike lanes.

I use the 83rd Ave bike lane on my way to work and people regularly run the stop signs and blow through the bike lane.

I was hit once riding an eScooter. Thankfully it was a small car, the driver slowed down a bit and I wasn’t injured.

Edit: I emailed the Safe Roads team at the City with the above idea as I figured that was more constructive than just voicing my opinions on SRC. 😂

Last edited:
A lot of drivers don't obey stop signs, yet claim only cyclists do that.

On another note, yesterday morning I joined a group of 5 cyclists going westbound on 103 Ave/102 Ave bike lane at 97 St to about 100 St, and then in the afternoon 3-6 cyclists going eastbound. It was pretty amazing. Cycling works in Edmonton.

Yeah but we're not removing car lanes for bike lanes, we're adding multi use shared pathways, completely different and only for pedestrians of course lol

Gosh don’t give her any ideas. Although it’s mostly the city realizing that 40 km/h road lanes don’t need to be over 3.6m wide.

Some progress from Quarters/Macauley

102A Ave bike lane extension from 96 St east to Jasper Ave. East of 95 St hasn’t started yet but will be converted to a two lane road with a raised two way bike lane.

IMG_8678.jpeg

96 St from 108A Ave north towards 111 Ave. Concrete mostly done, just prepping the road bed.

IMG_8677.jpeg

I would also add that we should consider adding speed bumps at stop signs next to bike lanes.

I use the 83rd Ave bike lane on my way to work and people regularly run the stop signs and blow through the bike lane.

I was hit once riding an eScooter. Thankfully it was a small car, the driver slowed down a bit and I wasn’t injured.

Edit: I emailed the Safe Roads team at the City with the above idea as I figured that was more constructive than just voicing my opinions on SRC. 😂
It's to the point that whenever I see a vehicle approaching from a side street with a yield sign, I'm already bracing for an escape plan because there's probably a greater than 50% chance that they'll misjudge speed and run the sign. Le sigh.

Back