News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Do we know why the other block is delayed?
It will connect with the MUP that crosses the VLW.
Screenshot_20240920-165410.png

Do we know why the other block is delayed?
Much of the 2024 announced project work didn't happen this year but I was told it will be completed in 2025 (this particular single block will still be completed this year to finish off this 'large scale' three-block SUP - woot woot).

Although well behind on overall 2024 projects, as less than half the projects are completed, it is not supposed to impact 2025 projects, even though next year's work is even greater in scope.

??
You can't leave it at that, haha

What's going on?
The crossing is blocked off at Saddleback Rd, forcing you to cross 111, then Saddleback again to the east side of 111. That side is much dicier, as the path condition is worse, and there are at least 3 or 4 parking lot entry points for NoFrills and the YMCA. I've only approached it going northbound after the Blackmud bridge; I'm not sure what it is going south, as there don't seem to be any closure signs going that way. I've been detouring through Skyrattler instead, which is a bit better. There is a path connecting to the 111/23 intersection from the neighborhood, but there's probably a foot of gravel and mud on it from all the construction equipment that crosses it daily.

The painted bike lane on Saddleback is also down to one lane with pylons everywhere. It continually backs up with everyone using Saddleback (and turning right to go on 111 south) to avoid the 23 Ave and 111 St intersection at rush hour.

Of course, the 111 St and 23 Ave intersection is a daily horror show of bad and entitled driving every time I'm waiting there on my bike to cross.

I believe they are for accessibility instead
Do raised crossings impact accessibility?

I’ve always though of them as potentially impacting drainage, but being massively helpful for a number of reasons:
1) reduce bumps and discomforts for biking, strollers, wheelchairs.
2) add a table top to slow cars to ensure they come to a stop before entering the intersection and reduces speed.
3) helps with snow and ice melt in winter/spring as many of these crossings become full of water and make walking and biking a mess

Maybe there’s something I don’t understand. But to me, every major bike route should be “continuous” and where roads intersect, cars should have to go up and over as they yield. Every major arterial MUP for example would benefit a ton from this.

Do raised crossings impact accessibility?

I’ve always though of them as potentially impacting drainage, but being massively helpful for a number of reasons:
1) reduce bumps and discomforts for biking, strollers, wheelchairs.
2) add a table top to slow cars to ensure they come to a stop before entering the intersection and reduces speed.
3) helps with snow and ice melt in winter/spring as many of these crossings become full of water and make walking and biking a mess

Maybe there’s something I don’t understand. But to me, every major bike route should be “continuous” and where roads intersect, cars should have to go up and over as they yield. Every major arterial MUP for example would benefit a ton from this.

Back