News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Some modest but tangible safety improvements on Shuter and River:

1673026044566.png

Some modest but tangible safety improvements on Shuter and River:

View attachment 448836

Ending right hand turns on reds is a very good step forward, both for pedestrians and cyclists. and drivers. Car drivers and F250 drivers, like myself, can work on practicing patience, composure and a little of "its not all about me". It would be better if those curbs were permanent (like I see in Montreal), and that there was a heck of a lot more of these physical separations, but progress is progress.

It would be better if those curbs were permanent (like I see in Montreal), and that there was a heck of a lot more of these physical separations, but progress is progress.

Doubtless (though I haven't asked), that is the longer term intent, but they usually like to hold back 'permanent' changes to road reconstruction, so they avoid having to move curbs and sidewalks.

I had a look at the aerial pic here and confirm that as the curbs and laid out today, there is not sufficient room for jersey barriers or islands that would separate the bike lane from the vehicle lane.

That said, it certainly appears as though the opportunity to make room was there just last year with the new building being constructed on the north-west corner of the intersection:

1673038152635.png

Notice the open landscaped plaza and what appears to be, brand new sidewalk.

It would seem, that if the design of that space had accounted for permanent barriers, they could have simply put the curb for that plaza about 1-1.5M further north.

As it stands, either that would have to be ripped out and the trees relocated, or the property on the south-west corner would have to be expropriated.

Doubtless (though I haven't asked), that is the longer term intent, but they usually like to hold back 'permanent' changes to road reconstruction, so they avoid having to move curbs and sidewalks.

I had a look at the aerial pic here and confirm that as the curbs and laid out today, there is not sufficient room for jersey barriers or islands that would separate the bike lane from the vehicle lane.

That said, it certainly appears as though the opportunity to make room was there just last year with the new building being constructed on the north-west corner of the intersection:

View attachment 448874

Notice the open landscaped plaza and what appears to be, brand new sidewalk.

It would seem, that if the design of that space had accounted for permanent barriers, they could have simply put the curb for that plaza about 1-1.5M further north.

As it stands, either that would have to be ripped out and the trees relocated, or the property on the south-west corner would have to be expropriated.
Understand, and we sure as heck do not want to start ripping up solid improvement's.

Montreal makes use of a poured curb in many areas, much the same size as the 'portable' curbs shown in the photo. But probably a little more resistant to snow plowing and the like. I believe there was a photo earlier in the thread of an engaged citizen wrestling one of the 'portable' curbs back into position. There also seems to be more consistent use of cycling bollards to further define the perimeter. I noticed the use of the same type of bollards in the USA in a big way as well. I am in Montreal next week and I'll try and take some photos while there.

The other thing I have witnessed on more then a few occasions in Montreal is in the instance where you are dealing with a wider cycle lane (and there are many), a dark and wet night, road paint is hard to make out,. and other signage not obvious or existing, and the car turning into the cycle lane and moving along it. Its easy enough to do when you are not familiar with the area, and yes, I am guilty of an instance. But you catch on after you are referred to as a 'putain de crétin complet' by the oncoming cyclist. One learns.

Montreal makes use of a poured curb in many areas, much the same size as the 'portable' curbs shown in the photo. But probably a little more resistant to snow plowing and the like. I believe there was a photo earlier in the thread of an engaged citizen wrestling one of the 'portable' curbs back into position. There also seems to be more consistent use of cycling bollards to further define the perimeter. I noticed the use of the same type of bollards in the USA in a big way as well. I am in Montreal next week and I'll try and take some photos while there.

If you're in Montreal in the winter you'll notice far fewer plastic bollards because they're removed to make things easier for snow removal. This is also why Montreal doesn't use portable curbs as often – there are concerns they'll be damaged during snow clearance operations. But the city is currently testing them in a few locations. Personally, I hope they make more use of them, because there needs to be a physical separation between the bike path and the car lanes. The long-term plan in Montreal is to create planted medians along all the separated bike paths but we need better temporary solutions in the meantime.

But you catch on after you are referred to as a 'putain de crétin complet' by the oncoming cyclist. One learns.

Must have been one of the many French expats in Montreal. Not a very Quebec way of swearing :p

By the host, blood, calice, and sacraments on the tabernacle, it most certainly isn't!
It was wet, raining, dark, and I was in the wrong place, and pretty !@!@! embarrassed about being a complete idiot, now trying to sort out how to get to the right place...it just as might have been "Esti de câlice de tabarnak, c'est pas possible comment que t'es cave" which seems pretty apt, and I think I was muttering to myself anyways. Lets just say that the amount of descriptive commentary was much greater then the level of assistance offered by that character.

It was wet, raining, dark, and I was in the wrong place, and pretty !@!@! embarrassed about being a complete idiot, now trying to sort out how to get to the right place ...
I did the same on a new separated bicycle lane that I wasn't expecting in in Vancouver. You certainly feel like an idiot. I'm surprised they actually make it wide enough to fit a car between the curbs! And what do you do ... keep driving to the end ... slowly.

I did the same on a new separated bicycle lane that I wasn't expecting in in Vancouver. You certainly feel like an idiot. I'm surprised they actually make it wide enough to fit a car between the curbs! And what do you do ... keep driving to the end ... slowly.
I once followed a bus onto the streetcar ROW on St Clair I think. It was dark and raining and I was unfamiliar with the area.

Some additional cycling/pedestrian activism to report on; and a follow-up on some previous discussion.

Kevin Rupasignhe is trying to attract attention to improve the safety of Birchmount Road in Scarborough.

He began w/some Twitter posts:

1673294214256.png

1673294302449.png

Taken from:

Where you can also find this video he posted:

More recently he wrote a column for the local community newspaper, the Bluffs Monitor:

1673294481804.png

I would encourage those many of you who support greater cycling/pedestrian safety to give Kevin a follow on Twitter, share the post/article and see if you can't drum up more support for his campaign.

That brings me to a modest update on @H4F33Z 's campaign for a better, safer Lawrence Avenue East.

He's doing a great job both actively campaigning, but also picking up key supporters who can help, including the very Kevin I noted above.

1673294659941.png

Walk Toronto sending its love as well:

1673294625514.png

I'm all for redesigning streets to include bike infrastructure. But the hyperbole calling Birchmount a "multilane highway" and referring to Lawrence's "deadly 7-lane design" just grinds my gears the wrong way. I do drive, but I also bike in the summer so I'm very sympathetic to the fact that without the right infrastructure in place, cycling isn't as pleasant as it could be and it can definitely be dangerous. But there's a way to approach this and get everyone on board with changes rather than alienating people with that kind of aggressive language.

Some of the corner intersections are too wide. Wide corners allow motorists to make right turns at a high speed. Stop signs are ignored.
corner-design-header-1.png

Truck aprons at the corners could be used for trucks making a wide slow turn at such corners, if needed.

See link.

I'm all for redesigning streets to include bike infrastructure. But the hyperbole calling Birchmount a "multilane highway" and referring to Lawrence's "deadly 7-lane design" just grinds my gears the wrong way. I do drive, but I also bike in the summer so I'm very sympathetic to the fact that without the right infrastructure in place, cycling isn't as pleasant as it could be and it can definitely be dangerous. But there's a way to approach this and get everyone on board with changes rather than alienating people with that kind of aggressive language.
I don't get it. You're offended on behalf of a road? One that you yourself acknowledge is dangerous? What do you think is the correct tone to use when referring to roads whose dangerous design has contributed to people being injured and dying?

The disconnect is that people don't know how to build consensus and win people over for change.

If you don't understand the issue with tone, you don't understand human relations, especially in the context of politics.

Activists, of any stripe, don't get this to a remarkable extent, even if their objective is noble.

Back