News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

MM coming to Council today:

MM7.39 - Authorization to Release Section 37 Funds from the Development at 316 Bloor Street West - by Councillor Dianne Saxe, seconded by Councillor Chris Moise​

Motion without Notice
Consideration Type: ACTIONWard: 11 - University - Rosedale
Attention
* This Motion has been deemed urgent by the Chair.
* This Motion is not subject to a vote to waive referral. This Motion has been added to the agenda and is before Council for debate.

Recommendations​

Councillor Dianne Saxe, seconded by Councillor Chris Moise, recommends that:

1. City Council increase the 2023-2032 Capital Budget for Transportation Services by $ 1,750,000 fully funded by Section 37 community benefits for On-Street Bikeway construction, categorized as Service Improvement and Enhancement, on Bloor Street West from Avenue Road to Spadina Avenue and St. George Street from South of Prince Arthur Avenue to South of Bloor Street West (CTP 823-02), fully funded by the following development that fronts on the affected section of Bloor Street:

a. Section 37 community benefits secured for streetscape improvement from the development at 316 Bloor Street West, in the amount of $253,707 (Source Account: XR3026- 3701256); and

b. Section 37 community benefits secured for public realm improvements from the development at 316 Bloor Street West in the amount of $1,496,293 (Source Account: XR3026 – 3701256).

REASON. Higher costs!

"The tender call for this work is completed and awaiting award. Construction is planned for summer 2023. As contract bids were 43 percent higher than the approved capital budget, this Motion will authorize costs for the bikeways and public realm improvements to be supplemented by Section 37 contributions."

This project is being done by SANSCON. They are the contractor on the Wellingon Street fiasco, and on the maybe worse Military Trail fiasco. Very much worthwhile keeping an eye on their work quality.

They are capable of doing good work, though, its often not the most timely. But the Military Trail job......uh......
What's the fiasco about on Military Trail (I avoid Scarborough topics)?

What's the fiasco about on Military Trail (I avoid Scarborough topics)?

The gist is that the contractor muffed certain grades and elevations, in some places by up to 25cm.

Its sufficiently off, that the City sees no alternative but to reconstruct the entire just reconstructed road.

So a community that has faced this road being closed for more than 18 months is now facing possibly another year or more.

Cool to see one of these being installed today on Bloor near High Park

signal-2023-06-15-144458_002.jpeg

I just walked along Adelaide from York to Bathurst and the bike track is, to be kind, a mess. Though they have marked the lines and pictograms on the NORTH side of the street from Bathurst to about Duncan, the parking rules and signage have not been changed so cars are (legally?) parked in the (future) bike track and, of course, the old track on the south side has been removed. There are a few of the south-side's old concrete barriers sitting on the south sidewalk but no barriers (except for a few blocks with orange barrels, on the north side. From Duncan to York there are the remains of the old south-side track (but, I think, no barriers). From York to Victoria the City project with the watermains and TTC tracks is still in progress so there is really no track at all and presumably won't be before late 2023 or spring 2024. On Adelaide, east of Victoria the old south-side track is untouched and still reasonably safe.

Cycling are normally very good and I realise that there are lots of moving parts but I really think they need to get on with the new north-side street marking all the way from Bathurst to York and install whatever barriers they are planning. A half-assed track that confuses cyclists and motorists is probably even less safe than no track at all.

I assume they will not be able to do much between York and Victoria until at least late fall when the water and streetcar tracks may be complete so best they remove all signage about a 'track' in this section and concentrate on moving the section from Victoria to Parliament to its 'permanent' home on the north side - ideally they will do this speedily and in one big 'push' - the gradual move from south-side to north-side from Bathurst to York is really not going well.

You can see a lot of the new bicycle infrastructure along the crosstown line in this video

Last edited:
For those cycling east of the Rouge along the waterfront, the City of Pickering has launched a Waterfront trail committee who had their inaugural meeting today, including details of the current/future work.

Some points/images I thought were worth bringing forward from the meeting (east to west):
  • Frisco road has been reconstructed/greening with new seating/shading stormwater outfall reconstruction etc
  • 1687229366914.png
    1687229406951.png

1687229516861.png

• Trail maps/signs are looking to be replaced with addition of trail keys or similar to the bottom right of the image below (including GPS coordinates for emerg)
    1687229631391.png

• Replacement of signage and artwork throughout Alex Robertson Park with potential new gravel parking lot closer to the waterfront trail to provide easier access to Beachfront park to ease congestion at the bottom of Liverpool Rd
  • Improved Beachfront park boardwalk/trail replacement is ongoing (detailed design drawings 50-60%)...a reminder of what this may look like:
    1687233338107.png

• Elvira court trail/path reconstruction expected Nov-May 2024 to widen/improve gradient and sightlines
    1687232798917.png

• New Washrooms now open on the west shore beach (I found the new dog water fountain beside the water bottle fountain quite unique)
    1687232873740.png

• New Trail connection work (shore hazard analysis) between Westshore blvd and Marksbury Rd is ongoing (the existing properties are going to be demolished) - earliest construction in '24
    1687232993629.png

Attachments

• 1687229876569.png
    1687229876569.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • 1687230439853.png
    1687230439853.png
    777.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 1687230503284.png
    1687230503284.png
    671.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Why link it in two different threads.

Heck, it's not from Metrolinx - why link it at all?

The cycle infrastructure on Eglinton are part of the crosstown projects and parts of it will be upgraded when the project is handed over to the city

Back