News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Anyone know the situation with the College street reconstruction in regards to bike lanes? I walk by the street (although don't look closely). It appears that the streetcar track reconstruction went speedily and at the same time I see no sign of bike lane upgrades. The whole project is supposed to wrap up this month. Are they on track to complete the cycling infrastructure?
13 days later... still nothing (at least between University/Spadina)

1671480723482.png

1671480770540.png

13 days later... still nothing (at least between University/Spadina)
The Dec 12th News, posted on the project website, says: https://www.toronto.ca/community-pe...rastructure-projects/college-street-upgrades/

This notice provides an update on the infrastructure improvement projects being carried out by the City of Toronto and the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) on College Street from Manning Avenue to Bay Street. Completion of streetcar track replacement between Bathurst Street to Bay Street is expected to be complete by the end of December. The City’s contractor will continue to complete minor restoration work in the weeks to follow. Travel lanes on College Street will re-open to through traffic after the completion of the streetcar track work. In spring 2023, the contractor will return to complete cycle track improvements with the installation of an elevated cycle track between Manning Avenue and Spadina Avenue, and upgrades to the existing bike lanes between Spadina Avenue and Bay Street. This work is expected to take approximately three months to complete. An updated notice with dates will be mailed before work begins.

The Dec 12th News, posted on the project website, says: https://www.toronto.ca/community-pe...rastructure-projects/college-street-upgrades/

This notice provides an update on the infrastructure improvement projects being carried out by the City of Toronto and the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) on College Street from Manning Avenue to Bay Street. Completion of streetcar track replacement between Bathurst Street to Bay Street is expected to be complete by the end of December. The City’s contractor will continue to complete minor restoration work in the weeks to follow. Travel lanes on College Street will re-open to through traffic after the completion of the streetcar track work. In spring 2023, the contractor will return to complete cycle track improvements with the installation of an elevated cycle track between Manning Avenue and Spadina Avenue, and upgrades to the existing bike lanes between Spadina Avenue and Bay Street. This work is expected to take approximately three months to complete. An updated notice with dates will be mailed before work begins.
Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure whatever city info I was sent didn't have that mentioned.

Last edited:
I just wish they had incorporated these more smoothly with the recent turning lane they added at Havelock... it cuts a bit too much into the turning lane

View attachment 446667

Also the "gap" between the ramp and reflective bollards isn't particularly the safest. Not sure why they don't move this closer to the ramp.

View attachment 446668

Yeah, having now ridden up and down a few of these, I think they spec'd the wrong product here. I know they have to work from what's available in catalogues at the moment, but I don't think this is the one.

I'd also like to know what their rollout strategy is; on some routes where they've added them, they've done so to some bus loading spaces but not others; I'd much rather them use their supply to get this condition sorted on an entire route, rather than doing it piecemeal across routes (this sort of gets at the broader "a bike lane is only as good as its weakest link" ethos that I don't think the Cycling unit fully subscribes to).

Yeah, having now ridden up and down a few of these, I think they spec'd the wrong product here. I know they have to work from what's available in catalogues at the moment, but I don't think this is the one.

I'd also like to know what their rollout strategy is; on some routes where they've added them, they've done so to some bus loading spaces but not others; I'd much rather them use their supply to get this condition sorted on an entire route, rather than doing it piecemeal across routes (this sort of gets at the broader "a bike lane is only as good as its weakest link" ethos that I don't think the Cycling unit fully subscribes to).

I could stand to be corrected, but I don't believe this is a 'new' one. When I last spoke to staff about this earlier in the fall, I was told that they were only relocating ramps from some stops that had to be moved due to long-term construction. I think there were between 2-4 available this fall; and then a lots will become available whenever they re-do King, those ones will all be re-deployed since King's stop extensions will be made permanent.

I'm under the impression the City won't be ordering more temporary ones in the near-term, only building permanent new ones as opportunities arise, and then relocating the temporary ones as they are no longer required. I will hasten to add, I didn't specifically ask about anything beyond 2023.

I could stand to be corrected, but I don't believe this is a 'new' one. When I last spoke to staff about this earlier in the fall, I was told that they were only relocating ramps from some stops that had to be moved due to long-term construction. I think there were between 2-4 available this fall; and then a lots will become available whenever they re-do King, those ones will all be re-deployed since King's stop extensions will be made permanent.

I'm under the impression the City won't be ordering more temporary ones in the near-term, only building permanent new ones as opportunities arise, and then relocating the temporary ones as they are no longer required. I will hasten to add, I didn't specifically ask about anything beyond 2023.

Interesting -- I've now ridden exactly the type pictured above on Yonge, Davenport, and Bloor; hopefully they are, as you say, temporary.

Interesting -- I've now ridden exactly the type pictured above on Yonge, Davenport, and Bloor; hopefully they are, as you say, temporary.

Outside of the design on Roncy offhand, I think the only permanent ones I've seen are on Christie.

Not paved yet in this streetview shot from Nov' 21:

1671659761203.png

This is a finished one:

1671659850798.png

I am pleasantly suprised with toronto and a mayor. I've been biking around and all the cycling routes I used today have been plowed and salted. The snow storm is ongoing, the road are a mess but the cycle routes aren't to bad.
20221223_201712.jpg
20221223_201712.jpg

I dont know about other parts of the city but the downtown east side is great.

Back