News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Of interest:

Translink begins refurbishing 114 Skytrain cars to extend lifespan
By Peter Meiszner

refurb-vehicle-23.jpg

TransLink is putting into service the first of 114 refurbished Skytrain cars which would have otherwise been retired from service.

TransLink is extending the life of the Mark I cars which have been in service since Expo 1986. The normal life span of the cars is 25 years, but the refurbishment will add 15 more years to their lifespan.

The cost for the refurbishment is $37.9 million, with $28.5 million coming from the federal gas tax fund.

Work includes upgrading the electrical system, expanding the interior passenger capacity, refurbishing passenger doors, replacing interior amenities, and repainting the vehicles exterior.

The provincial government is applauding Translink’s decision to save money.

“I’m encouraged by TransLink’s decision to refurbish these vehicles and save money,” says Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Todd Stone. “TransLink serves an area about twice the size of Toronto and provides over one million trips a day. Senior government funding, like the Gas Tax Fund, helps TransLink provide a world-class transportation system for communities and families.”

All of the refurbished Mark I cars will be in service by December 2016.
http://globalnews.ca/news/979538/translink-begins-refurbishing-114-skytrain-cars-to-extend-lifespan/

Interesting. I wonder if the TTC can either contact or contract the workers who did the refurbs there to do the same thing here. Given that Ford is ok with pissing away $85 million in sunk costs, spending $40 million to make sure the line can make it to the opening day of the subway would seem like a logical move.

This is especially true when you take into account the cost of transporting the SRT riders via buses for years on end when the SRT finally craps out. That added cost alone would make the refurb worth it.

Perhaps now that we know that the SRT has to run as-is for at least until 2023 (assuming no further delays), perhaps TTC could look at paying through the nose to Vancouver for 2-3 of those trainsets (8-12 cars) so as to be able to improve the current SRT service until the subway opens.

And maybe do a refurb on our existing 28 cars ... at only $330,000 per cars, the cost would only be about $9.3 million for the refurbishment to go from:

8505611641_49314a5d5d_b.jpg

to

BZnHQOoCcAA6OBI.jpg

Perhaps remodel the trains to look like T1s or TRs? Would blow the mind of those who claim that Scarborough has no rapid transit...

One time I was riding on the H5 that the TTC had mad into a mockup of the T1 trainsets. This couple comes in and starts arguing about wherther or not they're in a T1 or one of the Hawker Siddeley cars. I don't think they ever figured it out ;)

One time I was riding on the H5 that the TTC had mad into a mockup of the T1 trainsets. This couple comes in and starts arguing about wherther or not they're in a T1 or one of the Hawker Siddeley cars. I don't think they ever figured it out ;)
I was on that H5 once. The doors are smaller than the T1 though (which was very much the only difference).

It seems strange that the sunk cost is pinned on Ford when he wanted this subway extension right from day one and it was the Province and Metrolinx that told him 3 years ago that since the LRT order was already in place that the only way to connect STC was with an Eglinton LRT. Also 3 years ago, the Province, Metrolinx, TTC, and City Council said that it was obvious that LRT was the best option. Now all these groups (Province, Metrolinx, TTC, Council) all say that subway is the best option. I would say an impartial analysis would say that Ford is the only one one is not to blame for this $100M sunk cost.

One of the few things I agree with Ford on, and well worth $100M in the end.

What about the $1.5 Billion cost premium of the subway over the LRT? And the increased operating and maintenance costs?

It seems strange that the sunk cost is pinned on Ford when he wanted this subway extension right from day one and it was the Province and Metrolinx that told him 3 years ago that since the LRT order was already in place that the only way to connect STC was with an Eglinton LRT. Also 3 years ago, the Province, Metrolinx, TTC, and City Council said that it was obvious that LRT was the best option. Now all these groups (Province, Metrolinx, TTC, Council) all say that subway is the best option. I would say an impartial analysis would say that Ford is the only one one is not to blame for this $100M sunk cost.

Metrolinx never said the Subway was the better option, Ford is the one who is ultimately responsible for this transit mess, he set transit back by a decade, and if he wanted a subway here then he should have put it to council three years ago.

All just to get rid of one transfer?

Do you have any idea how much more transit could have been built for that money?

That could have built a new GO line from Scarborough to midtown Toronto, or all day frequent service on the Lakeshore East and Stouffville GO lines, or another LRT line, or the Eglinton LRT to the Airport, or a thousand buses with a suburb wide network of que jump lanes....

As well as the fact that this kind of political interference has likely put an end to the Big Move and any hope of something more than one vote buying pork barrel line every decade or so.

Back