News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It will likely improve Scarborough commutes by upwards of 10 minutes or more compared to the LRT option.

It depends. Those who go Malvern or Centennial college have been shafted by the subway plan. And while it's nice to get rid of the transfer at Kennedy station, people will instead be waiting at Yonge & Bloor for right train that doesn't short turn at Kennedy.

But this is the problem. We're blowing 3 billion because it looks good.

First of all, not 3. Most likely, around 1.5 billion.

Secondly, this subway is probably a precondition to set any dedicated transit taxes in the region. If it is cancelled now, Scarborough will vote solidly against any such initiative. With Scarborough somewhat appeased, transit taxes have a chance.

And finally, the subway extension will make Sheppard LRT much more useful, as it will feed into the subway terminus from both sides. (In the old scheme, Sheppard LRT to SLRT to BD subway to YUS subway, that would be just too many transfers.)

It depends. Those who go Malvern or Centennial college have been shafted by the subway plan. And while it's nice to get rid of the transfer at Kennedy station, people will instead be waiting at Yonge & Bloor for right train that doesn't short turn at Kennedy.

ridership on the line will be high enough for all trains to through run.

I would support a malvern-centennial-STC express bus. The LRT never had money to go to malvern anyway. I feel with that we are dropping a couple passengers to pick up many more so to speak.

Centennial, yes. But Malvern got shafted anyway, when they decided to defer the north-of-Sheppard section of SLRT.

And with the subway scheme, Malvern could be fixed by building a branch of Sheppard LRT up Neilson.

den, there is plenty of reasoning behind it. its not another Sheppard. remember that the TTC itself (not just politicians) support it. It will have the same ridership figures as the DRL, and will be plenty busy. Considering the connectivity improvements it brings to scarborough and durham through the connections to DRT pulse and the sheppard LRT, it is well worth the cash IMO. It will likely improve Scarborough commutes by upwards of 10 minutes or more compared to the LRT option. I am of the opinion of building transit right, and the right choice for this corridor is the subway. While the DRL should probably be first, the needed replacement of the SRT makes this important to do first. Fords reasoning (as well as much of councils) behind supporting this project is not the reason to support it, but it is very much so a valuable and worthy investment IMO. it will also allow for Markham to set up feeder service, something not really feasible before. The extension is really going to change the face of transit in scarborough, allowing for more of a traditional bus-subway feeder system that has been so successful in Toronto that simply isn't possible with the LRT route and alignment.
Fair enough insert. I hope the ridership is good enough. I am just worried about eastern Scarborough really

First of all, not 3. Most likely, around 1.5 billion.

Secondly, this subway is probably a precondition to set any dedicated transit taxes in the region. If it is cancelled now, Scarborough will vote solidly against any such initiative. With Scarborough somewhat appeased, transit taxes have a chance.

And finally, the subway extension will make Sheppard LRT much more useful, as it will feed into the subway terminus from both sides. (In the old scheme, Sheppard LRT to SLRT to BD subway to YUS subway, that would be just too many transfers.)

The province said that that scarborough subway was likely around 3 billion. unless I am reading this wrong. You are that is was too many transfers before. And I guess if we get the transit taxes, then it was worth it.

Centennial, yes. But Malvern got shafted anyway, when they decided to defer the north-of-Sheppard section of SLRT.

And with the subway scheme, Malvern could be fixed by building a branch of Sheppard LRT up Neilson.

How sure are we Sheppard is getting built. What if city council wants to build the sheppard subway after next November 2014?

How sure are we Sheppard is getting built. What if city council wants to build the sheppard subway after next November 2014?

It's not getting built, the yard was cancelled by the province when the SRT was cancelled, getting things restarted and to the point were it can't be cancelled again will take far to long, Hudac will champion, but not build the Sheppard subway to get himself elected and the Liberals will at least hold off with the LRT to try and save seats.

It's not getting built, the yard was cancelled by the province when the SRT was cancelled, getting things restarted and to the point were it can't be cancelled again will take far to long, Hudac will champion, but not build the Sheppard subway to get himself elected and the Liberals will at least hold off with the LRT to try and save seats.

They just said they would try to start it early. The province is talking out of both sides of their mouth.

it is going to be accellerated, or at least Metrolinx is looking at doing so. The question is more about whether it would survive a PC government. It will survive a Liberal one.

ridership on the line will be high enough for all trains to through run.

I would support a malvern-centennial-STC express bus. The LRT never had money to go to malvern anyway. I feel with that we are dropping a couple passengers to pick up many more so to speak.

Ridership may be high enough but the TTC doesn't plan to through run all trains. The train yards will be at capacity even with the short turning.

Even though Malvern station was deferred, the Sheppard East LRT station would have served the neighbourhood better than a Sheppard & McCowan subway station since it's a lot closer. A branch of the Sheppard LRT might be a solution but there are no plans to do that, and will likely never happen.

For sure. I could see Hudak actually building the Sheppard subway to McCowan with federal help

And west to Sheppard West Station.

From a political point of view, he has nothing to lose at this point. With his transit policy (TTC+Metrolinx=Transit for London Model, building the DRL, more trains on the GO network, anti-Toronto LRT) he's clearly betting everything on Toronto and hoping that the PC voters outside of the GTA will keep voting for him.

He either wins or gets fired. He needs more seats in Toronto and if it means promising the DRL to get downtown votes, Sheppard for North York and Scarborough and promising a model like Transit for London for the GTA than that's what he'll do.

Hard to argue that the London's system is better and superior to ours. Uploading the subways and LRT from the city would save us from future embarrassing council wars over transit. Also, the subway being extended beyond Toronto's borders would be less controversial and at least the subway would be subsidize by the whole province instead of just the TTC and the city of Toronto. We could actually end up having a better looking system as a whole.

Things doesn't look too good for the Federal Conservatives as well... I could totally see them invest more transit money in Toronto for a chance to retain their majority in 2015. The Feds investing another billion (.39% of the federal budget) on top of the money of Sheppard LRT to the project is pocket change for them if they can win seats in North York and Scarborough

Last edited:
That'll be tough with the Liberals promising the DRL along with a lot of 905 projects trying to woo Hudaks already existing GTA seats. PCs will never win a downtown seat anyway. Its seats in scarborough and Etobicoke that he is trying to win, and he seems incapable of doing that without a star candidate like Holyday.

And west to Sheppard West Station.

From a political point of view, he has nothing to lose at this point. With his transit policy (TTC+Metrolinx=Transit for London Model, building the DRL, more trains on the GO network, anti-Toronto LRT) he's clearly betting everything on Toronto and hoping that the PC voters outside of the GTA will keep voting for him.

He either wins or gets fired. He needs more seats in Toronto and if it means promising the DRL to get downtown votes, Sheppard for North York and Scarborough and promising a model like Transit for London for the GTA than that's what he'll do.

Hard to argue that the London's system is better and superior to ours. Uploading the subways and LRT from the city would save us from future embarrassing council wars over transit. Also, the subway being extended beyond Toronto's borders would be less controversial and at least the subway would be subsidize by the whole province instead of just the TTC and the city of Toronto. We could actually end up having a better looking system as a whole.

Things doesn't look too good for the Federal Conservatives as well... I could totally see them invest more transit money in Toronto for a chance to retain their majority in 2015. The Feds investing another billion (.39% of the federal budget) on top of the money of Sheppard LRT to the project is pocket change for them if they can win seats in North York and Scarborough

Not sheppard west, weston like we said last time. And maybe from McCowan to Markham. I Love the TOL model though. Transit should not be done by the city. NYC and Chicago also have it right.

Not sheppard west, weston like we said last time. And maybe from McCowan to Markham. I Love the TOL model though. Transit should not be done by the city. NYC and Chicago also have it right.

I'm all for Weston Road. That's an efficient way of bypassing the 401 trafficand reduce gridlock by having a train all the way to McCowan from there with a big parking lot near Weston Road. Weston and Sheppard are not far from the 400 Highway. With a Parking lot for the station and access ramp to Sheppard Avenue West from the 400, I have no doubt that thousands of drivers would exit there to have access to the subway and go to the Spadina Line/Yonge Line or elsewhere in the city instead of being trap on the 400/401/427/DVP.

Untitled.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:

Back