News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Let's be honest. It was public knowledge that Miller and G, knew the DRL was going to become a need. However they believed that they could make a deal with the fed and the province that would allow the 905 to get their Yonge extension in exchange for a DRL. The city was using the Yonge extension want as a way to blackmail and get its DRL need. DRL + TC is a very good plan.

In 2010, Ford won on his promises to reduce taxes and "cut the gravy". Transit was a sideshow at that time. If Ford was anti-tax and pro-LRT, he would won just as easily and the city would be building LRT now.

Transit is going to be the key issue in the 2014 municipal elections, as well as the next provincial elections. Only after that we will know where the majority of voters really stand.

Last edited:
As of Christopher Hume's statement, I really don't understand what he dislikes about Finch and Sheppard LRT plans, and how he would build them instead. He did not elaborate. I would think that those two lines are designed as close to his vision as it gets.

We know that he would like to put all of Eglinton on surface; that's totally impractical IMO, but at least his position is known. Regarding Finch and Sheppard, it is just puzzling.

As of Christopher Hume's statement, I really don't understand what he dislikes about Finch and Sheppard LRT plans, and how he would build them instead. He did not elaborate. I would think that those two lines are designed as close to his vision as it gets.

We know that he would like to put all of Eglinton on surface; that's totally impractical IMO, but at least his position is known. Regarding Finch and Sheppard, it is just puzzling.

Sheppard (both subway and LRT) should be abandoned. Why all these transfers? Instead, why not extend the Bloor Danforth to McCowan and Finch or Steeles, and then have the Finch LRT go from Humber College to Malvern (Finch and Neilson or turn on Neilson into Malvern Center)?

Sheppard (both subway and LRT) should be abandoned. Why all these transfers? Instead, why not extend the Bloor Danforth to McCowan and Finch or Steeles, and then have the Finch LRT go from Humber College to Malvern (Finch and Neilson or turn on Neilson into Malvern Center)?

I certainly like the continuous Finch LRT (west + east).

As for Sheppard, obviously the existing subway cannot and will not be abandoned. The question is whether to extend it in some form (LRT, BRT, ALRT), and when.

I certainly like the continuous Finch LRT (west + east).

As for Sheppard, obviously the existing subway cannot and will not be abandoned. The question is whether to extend it in some form (LRT, BRT, ALRT), and when.

How do you just abandon vital infrastructure like a subway?

Both NYC and Chicago have abandoned lines which didn't make money. It can be done. We should cut our losses now, especially with people going to use the BD extension instead.

Read what Chris Hume has said in the past, such as the central part of Eglinton LRT should be at grade on the street, before taking his word as gospel.

Read what Chris Hume has said in the past, such as the central part of Eglinton LRT should be at grade on the street, before taking his word as gospel.

Perhaps he is correct.

Most of us think it is dumb to have a mostly underground LRT that is within 90-95% of the cost of a subway. Maybe he is saying would could have gone the other way and saved over $3B by staying in the median and converting Eglinton to single lane. The main purpose of Transit City was to make everything look like Queen St., so why not a single lane in each direction.

So Chris Hume sucks now because he agrees with the report? And maybe eglinton should have been all at grade, maybe then it would open in 2017 and not 2022. And cost 5 billion and not whatever it cost now. Or if we were going to do it underground, it should be a subway.

Perhaps he is correct.

Most of us think it is dumb to have a mostly underground LRT that is within 90-95% of the cost of a subway. Maybe he is saying would could have gone the other way and saved over $3B by staying in the median and converting Eglinton to single lane. The main purpose of Transit City was to make everything look like Queen St., so why not a single lane in each direction.

if it wasnt for the stupid ALLEN I MIGHT agree with this... but the traffic on Eglinton is always messed up with people getting on and off of that parking lot.

Not only Allen. Central Eglinton is clogged with traffic, the outer lanes are often blocked by delivery vehicles etc. At-grade rail line there would be a total disaster.

As LRT, Eglinton is actually designed quite well, with the exception of the Laird - Don Mills stretch that needs to be fully grade-separated to allow higher frequency.

Back