News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Reopening the vote now would actually speed things up, the LRT would be built sooner and the the millions already spent on it would not go to waste,

I am normally against this kind of flip flopping and indecisiveness, but the absurd stupidity, pandering and vote buying that brought about this subway make it worth the effort to undo, as well as the colossal waste of $1.5 Billion that would provide staggeringly better transit service on other lines.

They could switch to the elevated Eglinton line and connected SRT and it would still be faster to complete. Underground is that much more difficult to build. It would also save a good chunk of money.

They could switch to the elevated Eglinton line and connected SRT and it would still be faster to complete. Underground is that much more difficult to build. It would also save a good chunk of money.

I have no idea why no one has brought this up. This would solve everything really, and the extra money can be used to bring it to Malvern which would complete solve the east scarborough problem.

This is just going back to what Metrolinx wanted years ago before Miller decided that Toronto needed LRT and nothing but.

The whole idea of getting rid of a functioning rapid transit line is beyond absurd. ALRT works great and is extremely reliable, cost effective, comfortable, high capacity, frequent, quiet, and safe........the hallmarks of great transit. Even Mr.Munro himself has sung the praises of the Vancouver ALRT SkyTrain system. The SRT's shortcoming have EVERYTHING to do with the TTC and NOTHING to do with the technology. The technology is proven and sound.

Toronto needs grade separated true rapid transit and automated systems to keep operating costs down. As far as elevated LRT, a complete waste of money as elevated SkyTrain is both cheaper and easier to build and in Toronto's case wouldn't need the huge expenditure of revamping all the stations to accommodate the overhead catenary. SkyTrain also has higher capacity due to the vehicles being larger than standard LRT and the trains are faster with much faster de/acceleration and ability to take sharper corners at higher speeds.

People in Vancouver are always remarking how much slower the standard Metro cars are on the Canada Line than the ART on Expo & Millenium. I have been taking the CL a lot recently and I can attest to that, the difference is quite noticeable.

Oh, and have Subway Restaurants pay for naming rights.

11349716614_900e83b6a2_b.jpg

It was hard enough to get the federal government to fork over money for the Bloor-Danforth extension to Scarborough Centre....now people want to throw that money away? Great idea guys.

That fed money was coming anyway as part of a national infrastructure fund, council could have done something useful with it like repairing the Gardiner or another badly needed and expensive infrastructure project, but instead that money is now going to be literally buried in the ground.

People keep forgetting that it was the proposed shut down that had people in Scarborough up set and anxious. That would have happened with the LRT any which way you cut it. And that was the backlash that a lot of these politicians are trying to head off.

They can put it forward if they want. I'm sure Rob Ford (or his successor) can use another boost from Scarborough.

The subway buys peace and settles the issue once and for all. I don't even think Sheppard is as sensitive. But the Bloor-Danforth extension has always been a sensitive issue. Reneg on this and Scarborough will probably vote for Rob Ford type characters for a generation to come.

Ironically, if this subway ever gets built, the Rob Fords of the city are finished. They really won't have much to get the public riled up.

Last edited:
People keep forgetting that it was the proposed shut down that had people in Scarborough up set and anxious. That would have happened with the LRT any which way you cut it. And that was the backlash that a lot of these politicians are trying to head off.

They can put it forward if they want. I'm sure Rob Ford (or his successor) can use another boost from Scarborough.

The subway buys peace and settles the issue once and for all. I don't even think Sheppard is as sensitive. But the Bloor-Danforth extension has always been a sensitive issue. Reneg on this and Scarborough will probably vote for Rob Ford type characters for a generation to come.

Ironically, if this subway ever gets built, the Rob Fords of the city are finished. They really won't have much to get the public riled up.

I completely agree with you.

This hoopla over the 3 year shutdown is incredibly dumb and shortsighted way to determine the transit plan. Once it's all said and done, the transit investment will serve Toronto for many decades to come, and no one should care that they were inconvenienced for 3 years. Does anyone still complain about the mess during the Yonge subway construction, and the businesses that suffered?

11356478245_1257e261cc_b.jpg

I've always lived in Scarborough and I don't agree with your claims that the SRT shutdown had everyone on edge and ready to backlash against anything but a subway, people were not riled up and if Stintz had kept her mouth shut with that One City stunt then no one would be talking about a subway here and things would still be going as previously planned.

I've always lived in Scarborough and I don't agree with your claims that the SRT shutdown had everyone on edge and ready to backlash against anything but a subway, people were not riled up and if Stintz had kept her mouth shut with that One City stunt then no one would be talking about a subway here and things would still be going as previously planned.

If Stinz would have left Eglinton alone and merged with the Scarborough LRT, no one would be talking about subways either.

Back