News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Above ground the doors must be opened by pressing a button, below ground the driver operates the doors.

3 minutes is the limit on the surface as anything below that doesn't allow for signal priority, as a full light cycle cannot be completed.

Below ground will utilize fare paid zones, above ground will be POP. I doubt you will ever see fare checkers in the underground portion west of yonge.

All trains underground will be automatic and manned by a single personal. Presumably they will switch to manual operation exiting laird station, and will switch to automatic mode while entering and waiting a few seconds for their "gap" in the underground portion

Last edited:
So it's campaign rhetoric now? It has said on multiple TTC documents that the subway would not begin for years.
Which is why it's obviously campaign rhetoric. Not sure why you're complaining unless you took his statement 100% literally and you actually expect there to be shovels in the ground next year if he wins.

We're talking Skytrain technology vs LRT, both can be elevated, underground and automated.

And if both can do the renovations on the SRT corridor in 8 months then there is no reason to go SkyTrain. I would agree with this if it were true.

Surely it's nothing to do with below-ground or above-ground - but a function of if it is grade-separated or not.

What's the basis of your 3-minute maximum frequency above ground? Even the existing streetcars do better than every 2 minutes, despite frequent intersections.

One big difference. The streetcars get red lights. The ECLRT will have signal priority to guarantee that it will always or almost always have green lights at every traffic light it crosses. In order to make that feasible, you need to make sure there's enough time to traffic light cycles to give N-S traffic a chance to move.

EDIT: I see innsertname already answered the question. Woops.

First, SkyTrain is NOT a failed technology. Vancouver's SkyTrain has proven itself to be comfortable, energy efficient, fast, high frequency, reliable, cost effective, and a very safe............the hallmarks of great transit. The SRT has been a failure which is 100% the fault of TTC incompetence and has NOTHING to do with the technology.

If the SRT was already LRT then I could see making Eglinton LRT but the reality is that SRT is SkyTrain and if the TTC had it's act together it could be running a very efficient transit line. Some new track and heating and voila at least a billion saved and ages worth of construction time. Those huge saved fund could go towards elevating the Eglinton section to make Eglinton/SRT one non-stop SkyTrain line. The control and maintenance centre are already built, unlike Eglinton, saving more money and time and the line could be automated.

Yes, the tunnel portion of Eglinton can be automated but anything at grade can`t so basically it`s a mute point unless the TTC is planning on running all trains automated underground and then make people switch to at grade LRT at Don Mills. The whole point of automation is that the trains don`t need any drivers or personnel to run them except those at control. That is the real reason why Miller didnt want a long Eglinton-SRT line because it would hurt his union base`.

For those who use the stupid excuse of saying they need a driver or person to make sure the door close, I can only assume they have never been on an elevator. As far as not looking great, well this is a commercial strip and what the hell makes LRT tracks and wires all over the damn place so appealing.

I expected him to run away from it, since SmartTrack serves the same area.
SmartTrack will never happen and he knows it. He's playing politics with that dead-end proposal in the hopes that it will help him in the polls, and it seems to have worked so far. It's also why he's still backing the B-D subway.

SmartTrack will never happen and he knows it. He's playing politics with that dead-end proposal in the hopes that it will help him in the polls, and it seems to have worked so far. It's also why he's still backing the B-D subway.

Really? Because I have family on the Tory campaign and they're saying other wise. Do you know something they don't?

@DanFmTo:
SUaUabe.png

Above ground the doors must be opened by pressing a button, below ground the driver operates the doors.

3 minutes is the limit on the surface as anything below that doesn't allow for signal priority, as a full light cycle cannot be completed.

Below ground will utilize fare paid zones, above ground will be POP. I doubt you will ever see fare checkers in the underground portion west of yonge.

All trains underground will be automatic and manned by a single personal. Presumably they will switch to manual operation exiting laird station, and will switch to automatic mode while entering and waiting a few seconds for their "gap" in the underground portion
When asked for your basis, I assumed you'd reference a technical document rather than pullling it out of your imagination!

First, SkyTrain is NOT a failed technology. Vancouver's SkyTrain has proven itself to be comfortable, energy efficient, fast, high frequency, reliable, cost effective, and a very safe............the hallmarks of great transit.
... which has failed spectacularly twice in the last 2 weeks, and frequently has issues when it snows in Vancouver. Fortunately Toronto gets no where near as much snow or as cold winters as Vancouver.

Ye, if only our entire system would shut down for 5 hours because of a broken electrical breaker.. Now THAT is a sign of a great transit technology.

Back