News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Well go up Kennedy then ... but how does this eliminate avenueization? You'd still have the Sheppard LRT.

Using Kennedy would probably be just as bad in terms of cost as using the easement simply because of the complicated nature of the route and the amount of new track that would have to be put down, as opposed to using McCowan. If not McCowan, I think second could be Brimley to STC.

Using Kennedy would probably be just as bad in terms of cost as using the easement simply because of the complicated nature of the route and the amount of new track that would have to be put down, as opposed to using McCowan. If not McCowan, I think second could be Brimley to STC.
Yeah, I thought that one would be complicated; that was why I was pondering the easement and William Kitchen.

Brimley might be an interesting choice ...though if you could run grade-separated cheaply up to Agincourt GO, that would significantly speed service from STC to North York.

I'm not advocating any particular route, just putting it out there ...

Transit delay?
SRT makeover may have to wait until after 2015: Official
Alternate

TORSTAR NEWS SERVICE
November 17, 2009 5:07 a.m.

Toronto’s 2015 Pan Am Games might already have its first loser.

If the SRT can’t be made over in time for the games, the long-awaited makeover of that part of the TTC might have to be put on ice until after 2015, said John Howe, Metrolinx vice-president of investment strategy and project evaluation.

Metrolinx has committed $1.4 billion to renovating Scarborough RT, including converting the trains to the same light rail vehicles proposed for the rest of the suburban Transit City routes. The plan includes a proposed extension to Malvern Town Centre. But the bulk of the work is supposed to be done between 2011 and late 2015.

It is “still an open question,†said Howe, whether construction could be moved up in time to carry athletes and visitors to the key venues at the University of Toronto Scarborough campus, where the aquatics centre and a sports institute would be built.

“I think we have to look at it as a potential option maintaining the existing SRT service and keeping it up and running so that it is performing that heavy-lifting function for the duration of the games,†he said, adding that would be a fallback option. “We’re just tab*ling these as options right now.â€

I reckon TTC should buy some of Vancouver's old trains to run on the SRT in the meantime.

Sorry but this can be rebuilt in time for the games.

Someone is playing games now as there is no way Thunder Bay is going to do TC and 204 LRT cars in time for the games. To do it, TB will have to do 100 cars a year starting in 2012.

Having too few sole source bidders doing TC and other project by AFP is going to hurt transit.

Metrolinx has committed $1.4 billion to renovating Scarborough RT

For that price we may as well extend the subway a couple stops to get rid of the SRT permanently.

Replacing the SRT with LRT is going to be very disruptive. It will require an extended shutdown and replacement with shuttle buses, and we all know what shuttle buses are like from what we saw yesterday.

Some alternative will need to be in place prior to shutting down the line or it will be total madness. Either the Sheppard LRT will need to be completed, or as an alternative, more frequent GO service will need to be in place along the Stouffville line (at the very least, double tracking and temporary shuttles between Kennedy and Agincourt GO would be required). In either cases buses serving STC would have to be relocated to Agincourt GO or some other suitable location.

Of course, if the STC replacement will actually cost as much as Metrolinx claims it will, then it might be easier to just replace with subway (avoiding the need for shutting down the SRT).

Metrolinx still hasn't endorsed the SRT replacement, only SRT expansion. At Queen's Park yesterday Metrolinx people were mum on whether the expansion was going to be more ICTS or street car. Likely they are still studying it.

Maybe that's what Metrolinx intends...

While it would be logical, do we have any indication that Metrolinx itself is logical and rational? I consider GO Transit to be a very rational and practical organization. If only Metrolinx could acquire some of those properties through osmosis...

I'm probably giving them way too much credit here, but using the Pan Am Games as a cover to reintroduce an STC extension would be very convenient, especially since, as scarberian says, that deadline is of little consequence in reality.

Wishful thinking?

I'd rather see them push for 3-stop extension of the Bloor-Danforth via Eglinton-Danforth-McCowan by 2015. Actual work time could be as little as 30 months if ran efficiently on schedule. And seeing as that's the year the SRT's shelf life ends, there'd be minimal disruption if any to commuters travelling to the Scarborough Centre in the meantime. And at roughly 6 kms for $300 million/km it'd only be slightly more expensive than the SRT expansion. I'd then propose a busway along roughly the same alignment as the SRT extension which'll cost far less.

Back