News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Mel-fuc*ing-Lastman just held a media scrum on the Scarbrough Subway; says the LRT is a better deal.

To be fair, he was always a "North York Champion". I'm not surprised on his position on Scarborough transit. I'm sure he's already dreaming of:
  • Yonge Line to Steeles
  • Sheppard Line to both Downview and Victoria Park
  • The DRL reaching Sheppard
  • The opening of the Spadina extension
  • Finch LRT
When all of those happens, his life work will be completed :D

Edit: I just realized how much North York has going for it. Quite unbelievable! That's a lot of rapid transit!:eek::eek::eek:

What? Did someone find him lost under the cushions of a display model couch at Bad Boy?
Whay the hell is his opinion worth any notice by anyone? What a pathetic infotainment based media we now have.

Didn't Doug Ford make comments on the subway, and he's no longer on City Council. As well, Rob Ford was not available.

To be fair, he was always a "North York Champion". I'm not surprised on his position on Scarborough transit. I'm sure he's already dreaming of:
  • Yonge Line to Steeles
  • Finch LRT

Edit: I just realized how much North York has going for it. Quite unbelievable! That's a lot of rapid transit!:eek::eek::eek:

North York gets it's way. Is there some way to convince North York that they need another subway up Don Mills to Sheppard?

The DRL Long can be the North York subway.

Perhaps the win-win solution is for Toronto to fully embrace elevated subways in suburban areas and end this stupid debate once and for all.
If it works for Chicago, NYC and even London, Toronto needs to do it.

I wrote that in the Sheppard thread.
To add to this, seems that elevated subways are in the same area in term of price tag as LRT (yeah, I know...that's Toronto for you).

I forgot

Paris
Paris-1-1024x450.png

france-paris-under-rain-metro-line-7-e2gwjb.jpg

@TTC: That's ugly??? Get over yourself TTC and Toronto Council.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Yonge Line to Steeles
  • Finch LRT

Well, you know that travel demand doesn't care about the arbitrary borders of municipalities that no longer exist?

Found a link to Mel Lastman's quote on the Scarborough Subway Extension, at this link.

Duly Quoted: Mel Lastman, on the Scarborough Subway Extension
The mayor who championed the Sheppard subway line doesn't think the proposed one-stop Scarborough extension is a good deal.

By Torontoist

“It’s only one stop!”

—Former mayor Mel Lastman opposes the proposed one-stop subway extension in favour of an LRT network. Lastman, who was at City Hall for a ceremony that honoured pre-amalgamation mayors, was a vocal booster of the original Sheppard subway line.

Lastman. What a joker. No respect for Scarborough.

Made sure he got his as North York is flooded with subway stops because of him. Find a new route and build some subway stop to and around STC. Just build a surface subway instead of the LRT and move on

Only in John Tory's Toronto would a blithering idiot like Jimmy K enjoy any leverage at City Hall. Will he also support Pasternak's Sheppard West line, or Mammoliti's Finch subway?

I get coffey's frustration with the transfer at Don Mills, but had the Sheppard LRT been built by now, at least it would have finally, one and for all kill this goddamn Sheppard subway extension that Scarborough councillors keep trying to revive. There's no reason why the Sheppard subway couldn't be converted to LRT at a later time, after people are ready to stop dismissing LRTs as just a bunch of glorified streetcars.

I get what you area saying. But nothing gets done at a later time It either happens right away or it never will. That's why the subway extension is now or never. Rapid Local transit options can be reviewed at any time and funded much easier. Sometimes its better to leave the right footprint from the start. Transfer LRT is not the right footprint. IMO. There is a compromise here which should be looked and funded from the get go.

Last edited:
Lastman. What a joker. No respect for Scarborough.

Made sure he got his as North York is flooded with subway stops because of him. Find a new route and build some subway stop to and around STC. Just build a surface subway instead of the LRT and move on

Lastman is suffering the same problem as most Councillors. He is not a transit planner. He does not realize that there is a better solution out there. The choice on the table is between a 1 stop subway and a 7 stop LRT (with transfer).

The only way they can make the LRT look good is to compare it to the worst subway option.

Lastman is suffering the same problem as most Councillors. He is not a transit planner. He does not realize that there is a better solution out there. The choice on the table is between a 1 stop subway and a 7 stop LRT (with transfer).

The only way they can make the LRT look good is to compare it to the worst subway option.

Exactly. Almost seems like a set-up. They made the subway look so bad that everyone agrees with the 7 stop LRT. I mean Tory says I lot of things and does the opposite so I trust nothing at face value. Either way its an absolute shame that no one has even tried to address the issues with transfer City aside from regurgitating the same ol' divisive LRT plan.

There are two clear issues holding up both lines & sure it may cost a bit more to fix them. But its the right thing to do. And neither involves much of an underground tunnel. Show some respect. Lastman is he epitome of whats wrong in the multiple tier class City we're creating. All those who got theirs have turned into penny pinchers on integrating Scarborough into the City.

Complete disrespect. A 5-7 stop surface subway is a perfect compromise as at atleast addresses on of the issues and wont cost nearly as much as tunneling underground. And we also need to stop playing games and tax to fund rest of the LRT network all over the City & DRL. Sheppard will be somewhat palatable if there is an LRT loop around the City. Although its still a glaring design failure in terms of building a City fairly. But he we're either building a complete, integrated network or we aren't? If we can't because others like North York have used up all possible resources then don't bother.

Scarborough can only ask for so much equity.. And even then they come out in force to prevent it with no compromise after 2 elections of Mayors running on fairly strong messages of transit "equity" for the City's suburbs. But here we are about to head into a 3rd because the "transit haves" don't give crap about integration.

Last edited:

Back