News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Why not? That station would give more choise to the locals; they won't need to board Eglinton East LRT just to transfer again at Kennedy.

Plus, those who travel on the LRT from east of Brimley and want to get to STC, will not need to go to Kennedy and then back-truck.

But anyway, if the city decides against the Brimley/Eglinton station and just adds Lawrence East, I suppose it will be good enough.
Eglinton East LRT will be a through line. The entire thing will run from Pearson to UTSC

Well I learned something interesting about Connect Scarborough. Turns out they are funded by Oxford Properties - the owner of Scarborough Town Centre. The spokesperson of Connect Scarborough, Ryan Singh, is a registered lobbyist for Oxford Properties. He told a Star reporter that the initiative was his idea in conjunction with the mall’s management. He also acknowledged that he represents Oxford Properties and that Oxford is funding the group and paying him to lobby councillors.

I should also mention that the president & CEO of Oxford Properties donated to the Tory campaign. Here's a video clip of him praising John Tory: link

At the Tuesday executive committee meeting, there were at least 4 deputations from Connect Scarborough members, in addition to Oxford and STC speaking on their own behalf. Here are a few of the notable statements and deceptions they perpetrated at the meeting.
  • "We need to continue to ask ourselves, what is going to allow the property to thrive?"
  • "1.6 million square feet [and] there's no subway"
  • LRT would be full in 15-20 years, forcing new transit debate (staff ridership projections do not support that)
  • SSE will "significantly reduce" commute time for residents. Someone claimed 15-20 minutes, another said 30 minutes (again, this is contradicted by staff report)
  • They took issue with this being called a "one stop subway" extension, which is exactly what it is

In another interesting exchange, a deputant criticized the subway saying that the 6 km long stretch without a station was too long.
- John Tory rudely responded: "Are you prepared to accept the fact that business people came in here, the business community, and they talked about the people who would be coming in… it’s not as though there will be tumbleweed rolling down the platform".
- She replied: "What I saw was their interests – their business interests took the forefront, ahead of our residents that need to be serviced first. That’s what I saw today.”

Tory also said of Connect Scarborough: "I think I shook their hand once in a mall, they were at a booth and I think I shook their hand". This is a lie, because here he is mingling with the group in at least two separate occasions. He will also be doing a town hall with them next week to promote his transit plan.

View attachment 101339

John Tory's involvement with Connect Scarborough has been noted by several people and is now subject to complaints to city watchdog for their ties to developers. Just a "handshake"? I don't think so.

Tory is maroon and wears his business dealings without even knowing how obvious I think. Who do you think Smarttrack is for and why it has to be built? Is it for Toronto or possibly Markham consulting firms? There is likely a reason he doesn't care for the Ellesmere stop.

This has nothing to do with RenewScarborough other than they support the plan for action & subway and Oxford shares a similar interest, obviously which I have no problem with them promoting. I would do the same. But if they are lobbying its not cool & this happens with basically all Politicians as they all have ties to some business or lobby group but it should never be OK. Im not sure its possible but id love to see people stand up to remove this from Politics.

Last edited:
A sensible pitch regarding the Scarborough transit, for either the Libs or the PCs, would be:

a) Offer to pay 50% of the cost of Lawrence East and Brimley / Eglinton stations, if the city agrees to fund the remaining 50%.
Why not call the Federal bluff?

Campaign that Province will pay 50% of costs of Lawrence East and Brimley / Eglinton stations, plus extension to Sheppard, and Feds will pay the remaining 50%.

just convert it to lrt but brand it as enhanced and modernized scarborough rt to get council on board

Branding it anything 'RT' in Scarborough will definitely get it canned. If you lived in Scarborough, you'd know how much North and mid Scarborough detest the RT.

The biggest mistakes with the RT were:

1) Not maintaining it to a more acceptable SOGR. Everybody thinks of it like a carnival ride because it rattles like one.

2) Not extending it to Centennial College and Malvern. Ironically, the lack of action on past extensions is why LRT is so hard to sell now. It's seen as a stubway of sorts. With several useless stations (Midland, Ellesmere). It's why none of the RT riders are really up in arms about the stop cuts. They'll just ride the feeder bus for 2-5 more minutes to SC or Kennedy. If the RT had gone to Malvern or right to Steeles as pondered in the 90s, it would be seen as more of an independent line. At present, this is Scarborough's Sheppard subway and so is viewed as entirely replaceable.

This is why I keep saying the LRT alternative should reach Malvern. But nobody wants to listen....

Eglinton East LRT will be a through line. The entire thing will run from Pearson to UTSC

Yes and no. The concept is to have a continuous LRT line, but different levels of service on different parts of the line. So for example, a pocket track is being built east of Don Mills to allow some trains to be short-turned there. The same would likely be done at Kennedy, Mount Dennis, and a few other spots on the line.

Yes and no. The concept is to have a continuous LRT line, but different levels of service on different parts of the line. So for example, a pocket track is being built east of Don Mills to allow some trains to be short-turned there. The same would likely be done at Kennedy, Mount Dennis, and a few other spots on the line.

Yes because we all love "short turning trains" :rolleyes:

In Boston, the "short-turn" trains are actually branches off the main line.

5145122.png

Would be nice if one branch of the Eglinton Crosstown goes up to Scarborough Town Centre while the other branch goes to U. of T. Scarborough Campus. Currently talk is for a short turn for the Line 2 at Kennedy, with every other train going to Scarborough Town Centre, because of the expected ridership numbers.

There will not be any pocket (storage) track east of Don Mills (unless you count the one way east which is just east of the Sloane stop.) In the EA, they called for a storage track east of Don Mills but they soon discovered (back in 2012-2013 I believe) that there wouldn't be room between the east portal for Science Centre (Don Mills) station and the Aga Khan Park & Museum (Ferrand) stop. That was the reason that the Ferrand stop was proposed to be dropped. The Leslie stop was proposed to be dropped at the same time for different reasons (see the Crosstown thread for 100's of posts around that time for details). Locals protested and Ferrand was restored making the storage track east of Don Mills an impossibility.

Any short-turning will be done at Laird using the storage track they are building underground between Laird Station and Brentcliffe Road.

Thank You :)
Yes because we all love "short turning trains" :rolleyes:
Because of ridership and capacity cobra. Many of the Lakeshore trains short turn at union rather then go straight to Oshawa, because of ridership being slightly lower out east.

There will not be any pocket (storage) track east of Don Mills (unless you count the one way east which is just east of the Sloane stop.) In the EA, they called for a storage track east of Don Mills but they soon discovered (back in 2012-2013 I believe) that there wouldn't be room between the east portal for Science Centre (Don Mills) station and the Aga Khan Park & Museum (Ferrand) stop. That was the reason that the Ferrand stop was proposed to be dropped. The Leslie stop was proposed to be dropped at the same time for different reasons (see the Crosstown thread for 100's of posts around that time for details). Locals protested and Ferrand was restored making the storage track east of Don Mills an impossibility.

Any short-turning will be done at Laird using the storage track they are building underground between Laird Station and Brentcliffe Road.
Big mistake.
Yup, would you expect anything else from Metrolinx. Why have a stop at the Science Centre, Flemingdon Park proper and Ferrand?

Because of ridership and capacity cobra. Many of the Lakeshore trains short turn at union rather then go straight to Oshawa, because of ridership being slightly lower out east.

I know that not all trains go through Union....but is that the reason? Isn't the service level pretty much the same either side of Union (ie. lots of trains in peak time and half hourly bi-directional service outside of peak?)

I know that not all trains go through Union....but is that the reason? Isn't the service level pretty much the same either side of Union (ie. lots of trains in peak time and half hourly bi-directional service outside of peak?)
There is at least 2 trains that stop at Pickering and one of the lakeshore east trains start at pickering as well. Very minor, but they are there.

There is at least 2 trains that stop at Pickering and one of the lakeshore east trains start at pickering as well. Very minor, but they are there.
very minor indeed...but, back to your original point, if the change in service is at Pickering it can't possibly be the reason that some EB trains turn around and go WB again at Union instead of going straight thru....Pickering is a few stops east of Union.

Back