News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I have no respect for a design that puts a transfer before SCC to save costs. Its cheap, poor planning and its whats got us in this mess. There are other solutions that may cost slightly more but not cost near what the underground subway will.

"No respect", eh? Why are transfers intrinsically "poor planning"? Should we have interlined the YUS and BD lines permanently for a "one-seat ride"? After all, if people in the suburbs want such a transfer-less experience, why not take GO? Hmm? One station for $4bn is stupid. Period.

We are debating the "expensive" easy way out 7 stop transfer LRT vs. The most expensive option possible with one stop subway. Both are beyond stupid. If you want to go cheap, then dont use LRT, If they want to actually spend money to invest for the future of Scarborough Centre get rid of the transfer with LRT or subway. No reason only the LRT should be seen as the only above ground option.

Is it worth pointing out that plenty of those trains will short turn at Kennedy? Goodbye "one-seat ride". And, as has been pointed out repeatedly, there are numerous technical and logistic problems with simply refurbishing the SRT. Of course, as it stands, that's the most likely outcome.

"No respect", eh? Why are transfers intrinsically "poor planning"? Should we have interlined the YUS and BD lines permanently for a "one-seat ride"? After all, if people in the suburbs want such a transfer-less experience, why not take GO? Hmm? One station for $4bn is stupid. Period.

Is it worth pointing out that plenty of those trains will short turn at Kennedy? Goodbye "one-seat ride". And, as has been pointed out repeatedly, there are numerous technical and logistic problems with simply refurbishing the SRT. Of course, as it stands, that's the most likely outcome.

Its the location of the transfers. Not the term "transfer" that's the problem.

1. A transfer before SCC is dumb
2. A transfer of Sheppard from Stubway to LRT is dumb

if it really need explanation still. There's no use

Sorry im not sure Im catching the point of the sarcasm? If you mean the shutdown? If we are shutting down the RT the elevated subway with stops would be viewed as much more palatable than the transfer LRT. And the majority of people here would be stoked with a compromise to move forward aside from the shutdown pain. Although some would argue the RT is just as painful today

Problem is Tory will not be the one to be able to do this as he's invested in Smarttrack. Doug Ford likely only supports underground although his brother did try to compromise earlier, and the other side is clearly transfer LRT come hell or high water.
I must apologize, I deleted the post you quoted, I'm having trouble discerning your level of being earnest or not. I find some of your claims so outrageous as to miss understanding what your real point could be.

Edit to Add:
Perhaps One means using the existing SRT RoW?
upload_2017-3-21_17-28-1.png

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf/20130910_Scarborough_Subway_Feasibility_Study.pdf

But putting an elevated subway through dense residential neigbourhoods? Errr....good luck on that one.

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-21_17-28-1.png
    upload_2017-3-21_17-28-1.png
    472.8 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
I must apologize, I deleted the post you quoted, I'm having trouble discerning your level of being earnest or not. I find some of your claims so outrageous as to miss understanding what your real point could be.

My point is simple. Get rid of transfer(s) at SCC and on Sheppard and move on.

Lots of options for both. Debating transfer technology is why we are still here. The transfer plan was called out and yet still there has been no compromise. Im very serious. I think the conceptual planning to integrate Scarborough have been poor from the start. Its a local network or nothing mentality. And certainly it is the main reason we are still here debating and listening to Politicians blow hot air on both side of this topic

Last edited:
Its the location of the transfers. Not the term "transfer" that's the problem.

1. A transfer before SCC is dumb
2. A transfer of Sheppard from Stubway to LRT is dumb

if it really need explanation still. There's no use

That's a hell of an argument there. And how much money should we spend on this?

It's not the time savings. It's the transfer people hate. And the minute they cut the Malvern TC stop, they added a transfer for almost all of Malvern. It was moronic. Boggles the mind that they still don't want to add stops back. They could win over Malvern with the extra stop.

If I have to take a bus, I'd rather just stay on the bus to STC. That's how the thinking goes. Now if you tell me that you will place an LRT stop within walking distance, that changes the calculus.....

Malvern was screwed again the moment Tory cut the line back to the south side of the 401 and now after reading the station reports it looks like ScamTrack was in fact a scam (big surprise) and Tory wasn't the saviour he was puffed up to be. Apologize to us here.

That's a hell of an argument there. And how much money should we spend on this?

Surely less than the underground subway. Just giving some options outside of the "it has to be transfer LRT" or nothing. But hey if it has to subway vs. transfer LRT so be it.

lol...I'm glad it's not just me...

Is any option but the transfer SLRT that hilarious?

Edit to Add:
Perhaps One means using the existing SRT RoW?
View attachment 102554
http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf/20130910_Scarborough_Subway_Feasibility_Study.pdf

But putting an elevated subway through dense residential neigbourhoods? Errr....good luck on that one.

Above ground wherevere possible to save costs and allow station to be added. Why so black and white?

Last edited:
Above ground wherevere possible to save costs and allow station to be added. Why so black and white?
*Where*? In an industrial corridor, like the present SRT line, sure, I detailed that, but correct me if I'm wrong, since you are very difficult to follow, you are suggesting elevated along the alignment most commonly proposed?

Miller is the LRT figurehead attempting to rally the troops. Timely interview and wishful thinking that Scarborough doesn't support a subway. Again if he is so big on surface transit build the subway on the surface or connect the LRT to Eglinton like Rob tried. End the debate. All other lines could be LRT or Sheppard subway & Eglinton LRT.

But to debate transfer surface LRT vs. underground subway is completely irresponsible. He should know what the issue is by now. Alteast make an effort at this stage to fix the main problem that is holding up this debate.
I have a feeling if Miller's transit plan was Eglinton+SRT, line 4 extension and Finch West, we may already be using those lines today, or at least close to be; and we will only be talking about DRL today...well, and perhaps Yonge extension.

I am new here so sorry if I missed anything on this, but why can't be just upgrade the existing guideway to accommodate new light metro vehicles? This option wouldn't serve less people than the one stop subway.

Last edited:
I have a feeling if Miller's transit plan was Eglinton+SRT, line 4 extension and Finch West, we may already be using those lines today, or at least close to be; and we will only be talking about DRL today...well, and perhaps Yonge extension.
The original plan was that the SRT would close in the fall after the PANAM and ParaPan AM Games were over and would be replaced by buses well the line was converted and the LRT built to Sheppard Avenue where it would meet up with the Sheppard line and second phase would bring a branch of one of them to the Toronto Zoo at a later date.

Back