News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

All the same, I wonder what the response would be if the pitch were "Fix the SRT with new cars and wider curves, build the ECLRT, and any initial tap-on to TTC Presto within Scarborough is free for ten years". There is no reason to believe that people in Scarborough have a single fixed view of what the remedy for the "injustice" of the SRT transfer should be. And believe it or not, what I just suggested is cheaper than the one-stop subway.

- Paul

All the same, I wonder what the response would be if the pitch were "Fix the SRT with new cars and wider curves, build the ECLRT, and any initial tap-on to TTC Presto within Scarborough is free for ten years". There is no reason to believe that people in Scarborough have a single fixed view of what the remedy for the "injustice" of the SRT transfer should be. And believe it or not, what I just suggested is cheaper than the one-stop subway.

- Paul
If the politicians presented the argument that way, the only ones left supporting the present proposal to STC would be the vested interests. What boggles me is the number of posters believing the argument framed in the pro-developer slant. (and only a few select developers, with interests contrary to the greater development in Scarborough)

Last edited:
And Toronto does have elevated subway with sections of Line 2 in the east and the west although it's covered over.
Of course, there's a section that goes from underground to overground and back underground right outside my window (Keele Station) but that's not what One was referring to, he inferred "guideways"....and that isn't going to sell along the present proposed RoW in Scarborough. I find the concept amusing, as some posters try to make the unpalatable jam in sideways.

I'm just gonna come out and say it. We are going to need to begin ignoring NIMBY interests in this city (and country!) at some point if we want to move forward with many of these essential infrastructure projects.

It is ridiculous we are tunneling this when we could build elevated for much cheaper. The fact that elevated on McCowan isn't even being studied is ludicrous.

I'm just gonna come out and say it. We are going to need to begin ignoring NIMBY interests in this city (and country!) at some point if we want to move forward with many of these essential infrastructure projects.

It is ridiculous we are tunneling this when we could build elevated for much cheaper. The fact that elevated on McCowan isn't even being studied is ludicrous.

It's beyond ridiculous

Yea it could be extended to Markham downtown or Buttonville Airport for the same price if it were elevated or trenched or something.

Then we could get really creative

upload_2017-3-22_13-8-23.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-22_13-8-23.png
    upload_2017-3-22_13-8-23.png
    558.8 KB · Views: 264
Funny how the low density suburbs demand underground transit but the tony residents of Rosedale have no problem with an at-grade subway.

Funny how the low density suburbs demand underground transit but the tony residents of Rosedale have no problem with an at-grade subway.

Im not sure its that simple. But I do agree it should be above ground if possible and I doubt Scarborough itself would have any issue with that aside from the RT shutdown

You would think the suburban areas would have more places to at least trench the lines, with the potential to cover over it for it to be out of sight and weatherproof too.

If the politicians presented the argument that way, the only ones left supporting the present proposal to STC would be the vested interests.

The vested interests being, political competitors. Tory is backed into a corner - he has to support the subway or he loses Scarborough's votership. If that votership is up for grabs, DoFo will ride in, promise the same subway, and grab the votes. Or GDB will want them.

I am really getting fed up with politicians, period.

- Paul

Back