News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Despite the Spadina extention to Vaughan being a "Toronto" Transit Commission extension the funding is coming 1/3 from Queen's Park and 1/3 from the Feds (hopefully tomorrow). It remains to be seen how the last 1/3 will be split between Toronto and York Region. So really when you think about it, its not only a "Toronto" project. The Spadina extension is more about regional connectivity, integration of transit systems and politics.

The current provincial government is committed to public transit and expanding the TTC. I wouldn't make the Spadina extention a whipping boy for Scarborough residents as I'm certain that provincial funding for the Scarborough extention will be a part of the McGuinty governments package of transit improvements for their second term in office (maybe if the economcy remains hot, some money will be set aside in the last budget of this term next spring). The majority of their seats are in Toronto and around the GTA (and Ottawa and Hamilton) - mostly urban regions that are demanding improved public transit. Politically the transit infrastructure announcements have been a significant boost for the current government. The McGuinty government will want to "occupy" that space in the eyes of the public, making it much more difficult for John Tory and the PC Party. Mr. Tory intends to run in Toronto and appear to be Toronto friendly with the hopes of catching a few 416 seats and a large number of 905 seats if the PCs have any hope of gaining power in 2007. Therefore at the end of the day the Spadina extention coming first will make the biggest splash, especially if construction commences prior to October 2007. The Scarborough funding will likely come soon after (Liberal territory, but not as vulnerable as many York Region seats - but Liberal MPPs are definitely feeling the pressure).

Tomorrow's federal budget should be interesting. The Tories have a lot of money to spend and will hopefully take action on the urban infrastructure file. Their focus seems to be on Quebec, but Flaherty certainly knows that if they can make progress on their five priorities, plus make some strategic infrastructure investments to the GTA that there may be a few additional 905 seats within their grasp. Although the lines between 416 and 905 are increasingly becoming blurred as the GTA is starting to vote in a single block, whereas in the past there seemed to be a bigger political split between Toronto and its suburbs.

He is right in saying this part of the city has "played second fiddle" to the rest of Toronto in the realm of public transit.

Like Etobicoke has it any better.

so will a burrowing machine be required for the York Extension or will it be above ground?

Is Toronto going to rent one or buy one (like for the Sheppard line?)

Wouldnt it make sense if they are buying one to use it for the *potential* Scarborough Extension

so will a burrowing machine be required for the York Extension or will it be above ground?

TTC will need to buy a new burrowing machine as they sold the one that was used on the Sheppard line.

Spadina, as well Sheppard and the B-D extension (SRT) will be both bore and cut fill.

Stations for Spadina will be cut fill along with the sections along Sheppard.

Going north of Steele will be mostly cut fill except for the 407 and a few sections that will have to be bore.

The Sheppard line was drilled exclusively with burrowing machines, except for the stations, obviously. Its the first Toronto line to be drilled for its entirety.

Two machines, named "Rock" and "Roll."

Why did they sell it instead of keeping it? I'm sure they make a loss on it when they sell it, right? I guess they didn't know which decade would bear more subway lines.

^
I'm not convinced the drilling machines were sold. In fact, I doubt that the TTC even owned them to begin with.

I'm not convinced the drilling machines were sold. In fact, I doubt that the TTC even owned them to begin with.
August 31, 1998
To: Audit Committee
Subject: Sheppard Subway Project Cost Overruns
The cost overruns reported to the Budget Committee and the Commission of approximately $39 - $44
million are in our view understated. Further, possible budget overruns will likely be as follows:
Bayview Station contract $ 4.0 million
Construction strike 1.7 million
Overtime costs to meet commitment to Cadillac Fairview 1.5 million
Construction cost escalation - estimated 3.0 million
Sale of Boring machines $ 4.2 million
$14.2 million
------------------------------------------------------------------

There was a report calling for the disposal of the TBM and it was approved by TTC within the last 12 months and I have to review my reports for it.

Two machines, named "Rock" and "Roll."

Yeah, these days, Rock & Roll is boring. You didn't have to tell me that

[cue descending wha-wha-wha-whaaaaa]

The current provincial government is committed to public transit and expanding the TTC. I wouldn't make the Spadina extention a whipping boy for Scarborough residents as I'm certain that provincial funding for the Scarborough extention will be a part of the McGuinty governments package of transit improvements for their second term in office (maybe if the economcy remains hot, some money will be set aside in the last budget of this term next spring).

With the studies and discussion going on about what will happen to the SRT happening now the decision to fund the project needs to come soon. The thought that the decision could be made to convert the line to some streetcar or LRT due to funding constraints is quite unpalatable considering funding was found for the Fairview Mall line and the AMC theatre extension.

Forget burrowing machines, people.

What the TTC really needs is a borrowing machine if these projects are ever going to be more than just pipe dreams.

"considering funding was found for the Fairview Mall line"

...which was supposed to come into Scarborough but never made it.

^it hasn't made it yet, but the first phase was always meant to terminate at Don Mills, wasn't it? It'll happen, we just have to be patient.

For some reason I thought the original phase 1 was supposed to terminate at Consumers Business District. Isn't that the 2nd largest busines centre in Toronto?

Well, it was originally planned to go to vic park, but was shortened due to the econmic realities of the time.

Back