News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What would happen to the Eglinton East LRT if the Eglinton-Scarborough LRT was built?

What was the environment of Kennedy Station when it was extended from Warden Station in 1980? Were there houses in the way to have built an elevated station that continued towards STC?

Would the Eglinton East LRT have more riders than the current SRT?

What would happen to the Eglinton East LRT if the Eglinton-Scarborough LRT was built?
Ideally, Eglinton between Don Mills (well, really Laird now) and Kennedy would be grade separated.

Then it would have two branches, one going up to Malvern via Eglinton East, and the other going to STC via the SRT corridor.

It would have halved frequency on each of the branches, but the important part is that the section between Mt. Dennis and Kennedy would have double frequency, which would be great actually.

Ideally, Eglinton between Don Mills (well, really Laird now) and Kennedy would be grade separated.

Then it would have two branches, one going up to Malvern via Eglinton East, and the other going to STC via the SRT corridor.

It would have halved frequency on each of the branches, but the important part is that the section between Mt. Dennis and Kennedy would have double frequency, which would be great actually.

While I personally would have preferred the subway extension on the RT corridor over this I don't disagree it would have been a very good plan. A close comparison between these two plans would have been interesting

Last edited:

Or you could short-turn every 2nd or 3rd vehicle at Kennedy if it was on the SRT branch. That way you wouldn't overload the Eglinton section, and would still have decent headways on the SRT branch.

Or you could short-turn every 2nd or 3rd vehicle at Kennedy if it was on the SRT branch. That way you wouldn't overload the Eglinton section, and would still have decent headways on the SRT branch.
Yah, it could be played around a bit. Thing is, we really won't know ridership, catchment area and travel patterns on Eglinton (or throughout the entire middle portion of the city) post Crosstown until a few years after construction completion.

Crosstown is planned for 3min 15sec headway for 2031.

But this scheme would require pretty much a doubling of the LRT vehicles from the get-go, so maybe we would be getting 2min 25sec headways in the central portion instead. This would mean 5 minute frequencies on the branches if split service.

And in Gweed's scheme, it would mean 9min30sec frequencies on the two branches, but improved service level throughout the central portion, if I got my math right. (Please double-check)

huh?

Because city council rejected Scarborough-Eglinton crosstown and Scarborough rejected the Transit City plan

Perhaps you should actually know the details of the plan before lecturing?

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tr...orough-subway-plan-eliminates-2-stations.html

https://www.insidetoronto.com/news-...arborough-subway-plan-on-eve-of-crucial-vote/

If the Eglinton East extension is truly what people would accept, then we wouldn't have anyone lobbying for the SSE as we do in here.

People would gladly see it cancelled in favour of the Crosstown East extension, with perhaps some money left for another line.

Unfortunately the continually escalating cost of this one line extension means there's no money for a Crosstown East extension.

Another reason it's such a ridiculous idea.

I agree, so why wouldn't the pro-LRT get along with the Scarborough-Eglinton crosstown while they had the chance?

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...h-subway-extension.27288/page-76#post-1273645

And you accuse me of not being able to read.

For the record, the Scarborough-Malvern LRT, which evolved into the Crosstown East, was canceled by Ford.

False, lack of political will at all level who can't see past the next election is the responsible. The 9th or 10th economy on the planet being broke is the greatest lie told to Canadians

I'd agree with the first part, but not the second. The city isn't broke, but the distribution of taxes leaves little for the city to actually build with.

Subways isn't the problem, it's digging in those areas that is. Paris, London, Chicago, New York and others have subways in similar areas as Scarborough but they have no problem elevating them when digging makes no sense.
There are also massive density differences between Paris, London, NYC and Toronto.

Paris not only has a subway, it has something else...

https://railforthevalley.wordpress.com/tag/paris-lrt/

I don't need to provide a reason. You're not a good reader/listener. I said many time that I was against the 1 stop subway.

You must be addressing a mirror, as there's no reasonable expectation that I should be able to hear you.

This thread is debate on the merits of a Scarborough subway. If you want to be taken seriously I'd think providing actual, factual reasons would make a lot of sense.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...h-subway-extension.27288/page-76#post-1273645

And you accuse me of not being able to read.

For the record, the Scarborough-Malvern LRT, which evolved into the Crosstown East, was canceled by Ford.

You must be addressing a mirror, as there's no reasonable expectation that I should be able to hear you.

This thread is debate on the merits of a Scarborough subway. If you want to be taken seriously I'd think providing actual, factual reasons would make a lot of sense.

Interesting.

Actually Metrolinx had already took the SMLRT off "Next Wave" by the time Miller ended his term. It dropped around the same time they were cutting back the SELRT to Conlins from Meadowvale. Ford didn't have to cancel that one, it was politically dead at the Province already. Although the cancellation of SELRT and SLRT certainly confirmed it wasnt a priority while Ford attempted to provide Scarborough with better integration as a priority

Scarborough-Eglinton Crosstown was cancel under Ford when Stinz led the charge against the project.

f the Eglinton East extension is truly what people would accept, then we wouldn't have anyone lobbying for the SSE as we do in here.
People would gladly see it cancelled in favour of the Crosstown East extension, with perhaps some money left for another line.
Unfortunately the continually escalating cost of this one line extension means there's no money for a Crosstown East extension.
Another reason it's such a ridiculous idea.
I'm fully aware that Tory is full of it. The subway file left the station at the minute the province said it's either subway or subway...lol. And we were still able to mess that up...F'N unbelievable. We lost Lawrence East by meddling in it.

The province made it clear it's subway so I don't know what to tell you. Before they laid down the law, LRT was on the table and accepted, but LRT hardliners wouldn't accept anything but Transit City

Pretty sure McGuinty was responsible for that. I remember Miller being furious about the province gutting Transit City

I'd agree with the first part, but not the second. The city isn't broke, but the distribution of taxes leaves little for the city to actually build with.
My point is that even in the very conservative USA, the federal government is very present in terms of subsidizing transit and funding projects. It's an absolute shame that past Federal Governments got away by completely leaving cities to fend for themselves.

There are also massive density differences between Paris, London, NYC and Toronto.
What about Chicago, Washington DC, or even Miami?

Paris not only has a subway, it has something else...
https://railforthevalley.wordpress.com/tag/paris-lrt/
I'm fully aware they have streetcars

If you want to be taken seriously I'd think providing actual, factual reasons would make a lot of sense.
Start with getting yours straight my friend

For the record, Ford had no chance to cancel the Scarborough-Malvern LRT. It has been "deferred" by the provincial government, prior to Ford getting elected.

What was the environment of Kennedy Station when it was extended from Warden Station in 1980? Were there houses in the way to have built an elevated station that continued towards STC?

Would the Eglinton East LRT have more riders than the current SRT?

The current SRT ridership is constrained by capacity. The demand is greater than the line can carry at rush hours.

While Eglinton East LRT (whether built around 1980 or just a few years ago) would have a robust ridership, it wouldn't surpass the demand towards STC (or, generally towards the north-east if all major interchange stations were located outside STC). There are more residents living north-east of Kennedy than east of Kennedy.

I know that the subway can not be built in the entire rt corridor because of turning radius at midland and ellesmere, and also because of time saving measures. However could it not turn into the hydro corridor just south of lawrence? It could turn back north under mccowan. This route could have stops at lawrence/midland and lawrence/mccowan or just at brimley/lawrence. I believe this route would save a lot of money by saving on tunneling and also still be almost as fast as going under mccowan. I've provided a map. Let me know what you think.

That's an interesting option. There would be a couple of challenges:

a) A new Kennedy station would be needed, as with any plan that sends the subway up the Uxbridge Sub corridor. The existing station can't be used with such a route.

b) Crossing the mainline (Markham GO/RER) tracks would pose some challenge. Assuming the subway runs on the western side of the corridor, it would have to either raise over or duck under the ground level in order to cross, and that's not easy given the gradient limitations.

To be fair, has elevated subways ever been presented to Scarborough to begin with? I think not and people are reasonable and have seen elevated subways around the world already. Except those facing expropriation and having to live near it (like everywhere else in the world), I'm not convinced that the overall population would reject elevated subways.

I remember going to a consultation and asking Byford why the TTC would not even consider elevated LRT or skytrain (not even subways) and he answered that it was visually intrusive and people would find it noisy. Pfff, I think not, I think it's a political directive to the TTC from politicians and/or the TTC itself who just don't want to deal with complaints...aka "lack of leadership".

We all remember that it took a Star article from people not wanting to "maybe" get expropriated for the TTC to change some of their plans for the SSE.

The elevated subway issue has been decided for the people, not by the people.
I remember this story from the Star back in Dec. 2010.
Elevated transit among Metrolinx’s alternatives
Ford didn't say anything against elevated transit.
Citizen's didn't say anything against elevated transit.

But "Soberman thinks community opposition could make elevated LRT a non-starter in Toronto."

I know that the subway can not be built in the entire rt corridor because of turning radius at midland and ellesmere, and also because of time saving measures. However could it not turn into the hydro corridor just south of lawrence? It could turn back north under mccowan. This route could have stops at lawrence/midland and lawrence/mccowan or just at brimley/lawrence. I believe this route would save a lot of money by saving on tunneling and also still be almost as fast as going under mccowan. I've provided a map. Let me know what you think.
I had posted something earlier similar to this.

To avoid reconstructing Kennedy Station - run the subway underground Eglinton, up Midland, to the Hydro Corridor. Since it's shallow at Kennedy, this part would be built cut and cover. This also gets you under the GO tracks, as the subway tail tracks already go under.
It would be elevated past the Brimley-Eglinton intersection and continue elevated over Highland Creek as it curves north onto McCowan.
It would go under McCowan to STC.
Tunneling would be needed to get under Hwy. 401 - a similar tunnel to what was planned for the SELRT to get under 404.
A bit more cut and cover to get up to Sheppard.
Stations at Brimley/Eglinton (optional), back of hospital at Lawrence/McCowan, STC (actually Progress/McCowan & Sheppard/McCowan.

SSE.jpg

Attachments

• SSE.jpg
    SSE.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 150

I would say 1 branch would be Kennedy Station to Eglinton East to Kinston Road to UTSC.
The second branch would be Kennedy Station to STC to Centennial to Malvern.

In the West, either 1 branch from Renforth Gateway to YYZ, and the other from Renforth Gateway to Square 1.
OR, 1 branch from Mt. Dennis to Renforth Gateway to YYZ, and the other from Mt. Dennis to Black Creek to Jane to Steeles West (aka Pioneer Village) Station.

Back