News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Just north of the Distillery, for the huge parking lot.
EFzHlfmWoAA5_f3.jpeg
EFzHldmU8AEuS4Q.png
EFzHlbrXUAIphfp.png

Last edited:
Looks like a Nespresso store is going in at the southern entrance on Parliament St.
I thought the Distillery didn’t lease to big brand stores?

Looks like a Nespresso store is going in at the southern entrance on Parliament St.
I thought the Distillery didn’t lease to big brand stores?

That's very disappointing, especially since it's a particularly controversial (evil) one.

I think it’s specifically for the Christmas Market. Previous years have seen that space used for Indigo to set up shop. Although not a store per se, we’ve had a two storey inflatable elf perched over Gristmill lane one year on behalf of Walmart. Christmas Market wholly welcomes the brands.

I think it’s specifically for the Christmas Market. Previous years have seen that space used for Indigo to set up shop. Although not a store per se, we’ve had a two storey inflatable elf perched over Gristmill lane one year on behalf of Walmart. Christmas Market wholly welcomes the brands.
Nespresso is a Market sponsor.

We’re now in week three of Gardiner construction hell, as the cutting and jackhammering goes on 24/7. Residents have been very vocal to all means if city communications, but apart from Councillor Cressy, the city has told us “tough shit”. I seem to recall similar Gardiner rehab towards the west end- maybe Fort York area. Bremner? Does anyone have any insight on whether those neighborhoods got anywhere with the all night noise issues?

On Tuesday, The Spirit of York — a distillery that makes spirits — said they will make a product that will meet the World Health Organization standards and all proceeds from these efforts will be redistributed to Local Food Banks.

“Hand sanitizer has become a scarce commodity throughout the Greater Toronto Area,” the business said in a statement. “Spirit of York, which operates out of the Distillery District in Toronto, is working to combat this shortage by using the alcohol from their facilities to produce an alcohol-based hand sanitizer solution.”

Based in the Distillery District, the hand sanitizer will be offered at the distillery starting March 19, with proceeds going to support community members that have restricted access to food, or for those who are unable to leave their homes.

“As a company, we have always maintained a focus on the spirit of community and giving back,”Gerry Guitor, Founder of Spirit of York said. “Now that we are in our greatest hour of need, we have been working hard to find new ways to give back. Using our facilities to produce hand sanitizer seemed like a perfect way to support the public while also giving back to more vulnerable communities.”

So as of tonight, Balzacs is closing up their Distillery and other locations. I believe the only places functioning at the moment are Mill Street BeerHall/Brew Pub- who are offering take out on Foodora. Cluny, who’s sign promised they’d be on Skip the Dishes soon- Boku and Palgong the bubble tea place who are both on Ritual, and some other services. If you’re local, consider supporting some of these restaurants via take out/delivery.

Arvo Coffee still has coffee beans available for pickup, for anyone interested in excellent coffee that is the polar opposite of Balzacs.

From talks I’ve had with store owners and artists in case goods, this isn’t surprising

I hate to say it but the rent relief provided by the feds is only accessible if the landlord participates and agrees to it. Most landlords see this as an opportunity to evict tenants and cash in on their property. Others likely see this as a way to evict problem tenants.

The stores in the distillery though are overpriced in some cases. The stores fit the neighborhood but would not survive elsewhere.

Back