News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Just to clarify: Peak2Peak isn't an aerial tramway; it's a detachable gondola (the technology is called 3S). It runs multiple cabins on the line, just like a smaller conventional gondola. The technology difference is there are two static track ropes that the cars roll along, with a third haul rope in between. It's a hybrid of aerial tramways and conventional, smaller detachable ropeways, but with very large cabins.

(Yeah, I get the Doppelmayr "Worldwide" annual publication book of all their anual projects ;) - which you can read online, too!)

Last edited by a moderator:
More Don Valley Gondola Plans:

•One travelling from Sunnybrook to Holland Bloorview and Toronto Rehab to Sunnybrook Park to Sunnybrook Park station to the Science Centre
•One travelling between Sheppard and Bathurst to York Cemetery
•One travelling above the G. Ross Lord Reservoir

•One travelling from Sunnybrook to Holland Bloorview and Toronto Rehab to Sunnybrook Park to Sunnybrook Park station to the Science Centre

Or how about extending this gondola to Riverdale Park / Farm. From the proposed Playter station it'd probably have to dive under the Viaduct to head south. And I guess the section going to Riverdale would only run while the farm is open. But both Brickworks and Riverdale Farm are great parks with a lot of heritage, whether for Torontonians or those visiting the city. Connecting the two from Broadview would be a good way to bring tourists directly.

The other place that I think would be a good spot for one would be between Aldershot GO and Waterdown. Because of the escarpment, road expansion opportunities are pretty limited, and there's limited parking space at Aldershot itself. By building a gondola station in Waterdown, people could either park there and take the gondola down, or walk/take local transit to it. It would in essence be a satellite station for Aldershot.

If this thing can take bikes it will be a winner...lots of people would love to bike down to the brickworks, but not necessarily back up...

If they can also reconfigure the castle frank ramp to have a separated bike path to the brickworks it would open up the valley much more than the death trap lanes on pottery.

This would also likely allow for more programming to occur at brickworks on weeknights and off-hours as it would be more directly connected.

If this thing can take bikes it will be a winner...lots of people would love to bike down to the brickworks, but not necessarily back up...
There will be bike racks on the Don Valley gondola. From the FAQ:

Will the cable car improve bike access?
Yes. Each cabin will be equipped with bike racks. This will allow passengers with easy and convenient access to and from the Don Valley’s many trails and sites.

Last edited:
Or how about extending this gondola to Riverdale Park / Farm. From the proposed Playter station it'd probably have to dive under the Viaduct to head south. And I guess the section going to Riverdale would only run while the farm is open. But both Brickworks and Riverdale Farm are great parks with a lot of heritage, whether for Torontonians or those visiting the city. Connecting the two from Broadview would be a good way to bring tourists directly.
I don't think Cabbagetowners would appreciate all the increased pedestrian activity. A better idea would be to add a station to Riverdale Park East, either over by the community centre, or closer to Bridgepoint.

How about going further south through E.T. Seton Park and linking up somewhere on Overlea? The southeast corner of Don Mills & Gateway Blvd would be a good spot for a station.

How about going further south through E.T. Seton Park and linking up somewhere on Overlea? The southeast corner of Don Mills & Gateway Blvd would be a good spot for a station.
Isn't there a hydro corridor in the vicinity?

I mean...if this is private money than OK, just can't imagine there's a demand to build dedicated physical infrastructure to get the number of people who want to go to Brickworks. Buy one or two shuttle buses and run them from Castle frank and call it a day?

I mean...if this is private money than OK, just can't imagine there's a demand to build dedicated physical infrastructure to get the number of people who want to go to Brickworks. Buy one or two shuttle buses and run them from Castle frank and call it a day?
I think the intent is that this isn't just practical transit, but "recreational" as well. It would provide a view of the ravine not normally seen, and give a relaxing, leisurely, quiet, and relatively private trip. It's in part a destination all its own.

Did you know modern microcapsule gondolas can be profitable at just a few hundred passengers per day? Over 95 percent empty and still profitable. They even said so at the FAQ on donvalleycablecar.com too! Buses and trains do run empty during midday too, even for high-farebox-recovery TTC and GO. However, gondolas are much cheaper to build and much cheaper to operate.

I think the intent is that this isn't just practical transit, but "recreational" as well. It would provide a view of the ravine not normally seen, and give a relaxing, leisurely, quiet, and relatively private trip. It's in part a destination all its own.
Exactly.

To be successful, it needs to serve both transit and recreational needs, from cyclists to families to wheelchair users (all of which the Don Valley Cable Cad supports). Also, gondola operation cost is lower per passenger than for buses, and accommodates surges far better, with almost no waiting time.

8 person capsules every 10 seconds.

On a slow day, you run the cable slower (less wear, less amortization, more scenic time) and let couples have capsules all to themselves. No problem. On busy days, run to max speed and stuff-up the capsules, 3600 people per hour per direction -- (almost as much traffic as Don Valley Parkway!)

Many gondolas keep moving on just a few kilowatts of electricity total. Once in momentum, it is surprisingly low fuel/power, even less per passenger than a train! Only 100 watt-hours per passenger per kilometre. For the power of lighting one 100 watt bulb for one hour, you have moved a passenger 1km by gondola. That is more efficient than most electric trains too! Cheap operating cost. And very low capex cost per passenger.

I lived in the Riverdale area before I moved to Hamilton, and if it was there, the gondola definitely would have been used several times by me for mundane stuff like getting a bike up out of the valley, and even as an occasional walking shortcut.

Maybe not more than a few times a year, but the convenience is incredible if it's there for use with almost no wait time! (Which compensates for "transfer hassle" partially). It is an unusually transit modal per pricing unit, too.

10 dollars for a round trip is reasonable for Toronto area, that is not much more than TTC fare. In fact, due to the low price of mini capsule cable car technology, I think some routes could break or profit even at TTC fare.

Last edited:

Back