News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What is your prefere alignment for a new E/W subway through Downtown

• Total voters
I can't imagine anybody doing that because that's not the point, we're not trying to get people to do that. The point is to get people coming from the GO to transfer onto the DRL, not get people coming on the DRL to transfer to GO. Should be obvious, since GO is the one struggling with capacity and the DRL is projected to have room to spare based on Metrolinx figures.
Agreed ... others have said though that there doesn't need to be a DRL/GO transfer station, because GO users can transfer at Main.

I'm happy to accept those conclusions (so numerous, so small, guaranteed cheaper, better network) if you have true engineering, transportation planning, and transport economic analysis behind those views and can cite the references.

Otherwise we're back at my point, which is this analysis has not been done, and to accept of reject the Y.E.S. hypothesis is currently based on hearsay.

WTJ

Not really hearsay. I work in the preparation of construction drawings. I know a few things about structures, and why some things are obscenely complicated for what you're proposing. It's extremely difficult, which means it's extremely expensive, especially while ensuring public safety without closing any parts of the system while construction is taking place. I could go into some of these at length.

We know that the network will not be any better because the network isn't being expanded, an existing line is only being given more capacity, so the network doesn't change. The DRL is a new addition to the network that improves network coverage. That's an undeniable fact.

The best strategy is to keep people that don't need to use Yonge off of Yonge. The key problem is that there is no sufficiently-attractive alternative to Yonge, not Yonge's capacity in and of itself.

I would expect that if they ever built a YES (which is not going to happen in my lifetime) - it would go over to Bay.

FYI, Queen is in the lead

Funny that, yet when Front was in the lead it didn't matter quite so much didn't it?

FYI, replacing the SRT with subway is in the lead, building Eglinton as subway rather than LRT is in the lead, and finishing Sheppard to STC is in the lead in polls I have previously conducted here on UT. Feel free to look them up.

Does anybody know how much money the TTC earns from some of the retail they have in the system? Most stations have a news stand, but Eglinton is the only one I can think of with bona fide retail. Building stations with miniature shopping areas could be a decent way of raising all needed money.

Does anybody know how much money the TTC earns from some of the retail they have in the system? Most stations have a news stand, but Eglinton is the only one I can think of with bona fide retail. Building stations with miniature shopping areas could be a decent way of raising all needed money.

LOL....please no. That engineer I once spoke to used that justification for the large stations. The majority of riders do not want to pass by a cinnabon, a newstand, a hairdresser, and two flights of stairs to get to their subway. All we need is a flight of stairs and an elevator. If I want a coffee I'll get one from home or buy one before I use the TTC

I dunno, I have used the pizza place in there quite a few times. Coming home late at night the bus only runs every 20 minutes or something, and its nice to be able to sit down on something that wasn't designed to prevent homeless people from sleeping. My only real complaint about TTC shopping is that the choices are so damn awful. If TTC stations had Tim Horton's or Teashop 168s? Hot damn would I be happy. If they threw in some grocery stores I would never have to leave the subway :).

In any case, that's why I asked. Those shops at Eglinton have been since at least the bus terminal renovation, which suggests pretty low turnover. The TTC study of the "Madrid Miracle" concluded that part of their lower cost of subway construction came about by developing subway stations in conjunction with commercial and residential space.

FYI, Queen is in the lead

Funny that, yet when Front was in the lead it didn't matter quite so much didn't it?

FYI, replacing the SRT with subway is in the lead, building Eglinton as subway rather than LRT is in the lead, and finishing Sheppard to STC is in the lead in polls I have previously conducted here on UT. Feel free to look them up.

It's a little suspect that the amount of votes have been creeping up slowly day by day if I may say. I think it's time to close the poll, and reveal who voted for what.

That Pizza place closes early. But I did enjoy the odd slice on the weekends after the gym. Anyways, it was built there for the TTC employees more then anything.

Riders are riders, and shoppers are shoppers, in my view. But the TTC loves this, and the new stations by York U apparantly will be all artsy fartsy walkway.

It's a little suspect that the amount of votes have been creeping up slowly day by day if I may say. I think it's time to close the poll, and reveal who voted for what.

You alreayd can tell by clicking on the poll. It reveals who voted which way.

LOL....please no. That engineer I once spoke to used that justification for the large stations. The majority of riders do not want to pass by a cinnabon, a newstand, a hairdresser, and two flights of stairs to get to their subway. All we need is a flight of stairs and an elevator. If I want a coffee I'll get one from home or buy one before I use the TTC

I would love to have a large market above the tracks at Union :rolleyes:

Maybe an original food court.

Or anything that would save me from having to go out of my way to get stuff.... oops, of course Union is the only one I use (walk through sometime during the day) - since I walk home :rolleyes:

You alreayd can tell by clicking on the poll. It reveals who voted which way.

I'd be curious to see how many people with 1 or fewer posts voted. Not that I'm a conspiracy theorist or anything.

But maybe everyone's vote should be proportional to their post count. Not very democratic I know :)

If they're going west, couldn't they just hop on at Dundas West? Also, there is no reason that an additional GO stop couldn't be built in the east either.

I'd be curious to see how many people with 1 or fewer posts voted. Not that I'm a conspiracy theorist or anything.

But maybe everyone's vote should be proportional to their post count. Not very democratic I know :)

Well, there were a few (single digits) on Queen, but not a huge number. Of course a moderator could look at the IP addresses and see if they are on the same IP address (if the poster was not smart enough to use an anonymizer). Maybe restricting it to one vote per user or ip address :p

And of course banning all those that have the same IP address as one of those suspected voters :eek:

Back