News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

What exactly is the benefit (political/partisan or otherwise) of sneakily setting up a task force for Edmonton behind the Mayor and most of City Council's back, on purpose? It's just mind boggling the immaturity of this provincial government,

Cartmell said he wasn't asked to join until the day before the announcement. Why do it that way unless the intent is to keep City Council is the dark for as long as possible? Why not involve the Mayor in any way, shape or form in an effort that will clearly take substantial coordination from both levels of government?

Indeed

It's sad to think that the province thinks that Edmonton is not capable of providing input on this committee.

This goes FAR beyond this committee and speaks to current relationship between Edmonton and the province.

Certainly a political move (statement).

Partisan politics need to be put aside for this kinda thing and focus on the outcomes, not the votes or composition.
Tell that to the UCP, they're only doing this now because there's an election coming up and they want to try and get as many votes in Edmonton South West (Madu's riding) as possible. If they weren't being partisan, the GOA would've been dealing with addictions and homelessness from 2019 when they were first elected.

This 'task force' is a sham.

Unfortunate there is politics happening between the mayor, council and province, as this task force is exactly what our city needs and what City Council has been asking for for months. The province hasn't been at the table until now, City Council has had to try to solve these problems alone. It's unfortunate the focus the last day has been on the squabble between the two levels of government. I'm hopeful something concrete will come out of this. Everyone needs to drop their egos and just get the work done, Edmonton's future depends on it.

Curious if it was 'sneakily', for I am hearing this was in the works for weeks/months...
I've been told the mayor knew for weeks, but due to politics province not chose the task force members they did. It's a snub to the mayor maybe, what's important is we now have this task force and the province at the table, with dollars. Years of lobbying. I'm trying not to be cynical and hope that real, concrete things come out of this.

I was in the Churchill pedway a couple of days ago, and I saw the peace officers and police deal with a situation related to homelessness. Nothing serious, but I’m guessing 211 was also called.

It's been interesting spending the holidays out in the burbs listening to friends, family and YEGDT workers over the last week.

1. Unanimous - I don't want to or go Downtown anymore (that was tough to hear)
2. It's unsafe (but when pressed
3. No shopping anymore
4. I don't have friends asking me to meet there these days
5. Other options provide SW 'fine dining' now

Last edited:

Back