News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Hearing that all of the extra beat cops (or beat cops in general) have been removed from Downtown and are back on their 'regular' deployment strategy?
So if I’m reading the tea leaves correct: the proposed solution so far is replace additional EPS beat cops downtown with Sheriffs? Huh

The news this past week has been especially disappointing. To learn that the seniors drop-in is closing largely in part due to increased security costs, vandalism, and aggression towards seniors and staff is sickening.

From what I've been told, the approach below is what they will be doing with these new officers.

"He strongly suggests EPS officers and sheriffs use the method of "hot-spot policing" instead, citing studies he said found that officers simply being visible for 15 minutes a day can reduce crime in that space by 30 to 80 per cent.

"Just go, be in a place for 15 minutes. Be aware, be happy, say hello, be aware, be noticeable. No action imperative. [Officers] don’t need to get into people’s pockets, don’t need to arrest people on warrants, don’t need to write tickets," Jones said."

Last edited:
From what I've been told, the approach below is what they will be doing with these new officers.

"He strongly suggests EPS officers and sheriffs use the method of "hot-spot policing" instead, citing studies he said found that officers simply being visible for 15 minutes a day can reduce crime in that space by 30 to 80 per cent.

"Just go, be in a place for 15 minutes. Be aware, be happy, say hello, be aware, be noticeable. No action imperative. [Officers] don’t need to get into people’s pockets, don’t need to arrest people on warrants, don’t need to write tickets," Jones said."

I mean, when I was in New York, just seeing police on most of the intersection corners close to Times Square made me feel safer for sure.

It definitely is a deterrent but this needs to be a permanent thing, not a one or two month experiment for Edmonton.

Nothing new in that, but good to see even more attention to it.

Downtown was literally left to fend for itself for 3+ years with very few giving a shit about it; it was appalling.

Thankfully DECL, the EDBA, the DRC and a few others kept pushing.

Shattered glass all over the sidewalk outside the Healey Ford building this morning. One of the windows not boarded up. Embarrassing to all of the downtown community to see this building in such poor condition and subject to continued vandalism.

7F878A7E-92C4-4905-8762-DDEA3FC2CED4.jpeg

Last edited:
Surprised there hasn't been any more fires recently there ^

Back