News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Finally! From what I saw walking around Greenwin Square, through the paper covered windows... it looks like a pretty nice store. Seems like there are a bit more frills at this location!
I stopped by today...it's definitely the nicest No Frills I've ever been to.

Wow, that's saying a lot. Front/Sherbourne is closer for me but I'll probably head up to check out the new one. And of course time will tell -- new is easy to make a good impression; hopefully management and staff are committed to keeping it up.

Wow, that's saying a lot. Front/Sherbourne is closer for me but I'll probably head up to check out the new one. And of course time will tell -- new is easy to make a good impression; hopefully management and staff are committed to keeping it up.

Yea, I also ventured out to Front/Sherbourne before but this one definitely seems nicer. Hopefully they actually maintain it. The old location at Sherbourne and Isabella was so gross!

Your Independent Market, which I have only seen in Eastern and Central/Northeastern Ontario, is a full-line store, equivalent to Loblaws, Zehrs, or Fortinos, the difference being that it's franchised. (Valu-Mart, Freshmart, No Frills are different formats). Except for Kensington Market, Freshmart is a rural store, equivalent to Sobey's Foodland, Valu-Mart is the same idea, except it is found only in Ontario (and mostly Anglophone Pontiac County, Quebec) and is a mix of small stores in urban areas and small town locations.

Loblaws has way too many brands. It did not take long for Metro to re-brand A&P, Dominion and The Barn stores, nor did it take long for Sobey's to re-brand Food City and larger IGA stores.

Last edited:
It's Your Independent Grocer, not Market. Some of the various banners are historical and came under Loblaws through acquisitions like Fortinos.

Your Independent Grocer has its origins when ailing Steinberg's franchised its Ontario stores (mostly in Ottawa). When Steinberg's later got bought out by Metro-Richelieu and disappeared in Quebec, Loblaws stepped in and the Ontario franchised stores were re-bannered as Your Independent Grocer. It's a mouthful of a name, has an acronym of dubious marketing value ("YIG"), and should have been retired and replaced years ago.

Just a quick iPhone photo update. The first three are of the new No Frills at Greenwin Square and the fourth is taken from the window along Shaw Street of the interior of the soon to open grocery store at King and Shaw.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 898
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 978
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 843
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 693
That new No Thrills is pretty awful--unless your idea of grocery shopping is bargain basement junk food--processed, canned, frozen etc or big name brands. I wasted my time there looking for basics like lactose free skim milk in bags, dairy-free bread etc. The No Frills in Bloor West Village is better thanks to its more-demanding clientele.

It's pretty common for grocery stores to reflect the local market. That doesn't make them awful. It just means that it isn't the store for you if you can't get your lactose-free skim milk in bags. If the local market is not demanding dairy-free bread, they are unlikely to carry it. Did you let someone at the store know that you'd buy those products if they carried them? Given the store just opened, I suspect the range of products it carries will be tweaked as management adjusts to local consumer tastes. (Is this store a relocation?)

I'm also not sure that I'd make broad generalizations about people in different areas. I personally am not in a position to know whether the denizens of one neighbourhood are more demanding than in another, but most people vote with their dollars, and the local store will reflect the tastes of the area.

The ceiling looks dark in that No Frills - - if they painted it white, the place would look a lot brighter.

WRT the selection at No Frills - well, the name says it all - that implies limited selection.

Back