News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Interesting.

This mini-empire which combined Healthy Butcher, Mabels and FCM is shrinking two of the three banners noticeably.

I'm not sure when, but they closed Healthy Butcher on Queen West; so that banner is down to just the midtown location.

Their Mabel's banner (Bakery-focused) seems to be doing ok.
Noticed that when Healthy Butcher left Queen West before Christmas, Rowe Farms took the opportunity to open its 7th location in the chain.

I can see FCM shuttering due to the competition in the area and the changing demographics of the grab & go on Bay Street. Farm Boy & Metro at College Park are doing well. The pricepoint at FCM was also a huge detractor, as we went in many times but didn't fit our budget.

Noticed that when Healthy Butcher left Queen West before Christmas, Rowe Farms took the opportunity to open its 7th location in the chain.

I can see FCM shuttering due to the competition in the area and the changing demographics of the grab & go on Bay Street. Farm Boy & Metro at College Park are doing well. The pricepoint at FCM was also a huge detractor, as we went in many times but didn't fit our budget.

I toodled through once. I found the presentation nice; but the value-for-money off. I'm fortunate I can afford to spend a bit extra on food, and I'm happy to do so for extraordinary quality. But when I passed through that's not what I found I found comparable quality at a noticeably higher price point for the most part. There were some value-adds, but not enough.

I toodled through once. I found the presentation nice; but the value-for-money off. I'm fortunate I can afford to spend a bit extra on food, and I'm happy to do so for extraordinary quality. But when I passed through that's not what I found I found comparable quality at a noticeably higher price point for the most part. There were some value-adds, but not enough.
I had the same experience. I work nearby, so I've gone into the store a handful of times, but rarely bought anything due to overpricing. Looks nice though.

Just wanted to add. Despite earlier comments about how much I love the Farm Boy on Dupont because it's never busy, I was there yesterday and noticed a number of signs of trouble. Some of the fruits looked soft, and shockingly, a number of the packaged "fresh" herbs and mushrooms not only looked wilted, but even had visible mold on them. Their in-house made sausage selection was also notably reduced from previous visits.

Unacceptable circumstances for a chain whose entire reputation rests upon offering fresher and higher quality groceries than elsewhere.

Last edited:
Just wanted to add. Despite earlier comments about how much I love the Farm Boy on Dupont because it's never busy, I was there yesterday and noticed a number of signs of trouble. Some of the fruits looked soft, and shockingly, a number of the packaged "fresh" herbs and mushrooms not only looked wilted, but even had visible mold on them. Their in-house made sausage selection was also notably reduced from previous visits.

Unacceptable circumstances for a chain whose entire reputation rests upon offering fresher and highly quality groceries than elsewhere.

Let'em know:

Unacceptable circumstances for a chain whose entire reputation rests upon offering fresher and higher quality groceries than elsewhere.

I used to go to that location for their Boneless Skinless Turkey Breast which makes for a great sandwich. I find it is less expensive than deli meat and healthier but I digress.

It is in a really bad location honestly and I am not sure it will survive, food quality not withstanding. Unless you go south of Dupont the area is primarily industrial and even then the Loblaws is a better value.

The location Downtown and the one over at Kipling and Dundas are so much better. I find the Kipling and Dundas one (just outside Kipling Station) is not busy but it is well stocked.

I used to go to that location for their Boneless Skinless Turkey Breast which makes for a great sandwich. I find it is less expensive than deli meat and healthier but I digress.

It is in a really bad location honestly and I am not sure it will survive, food quality not withstanding. Unless you go south of Dupont the area is primarily industrial and even then the Loblaws is a better value.

The location Downtown and the one over at Kipling and Dundas are so much better. I find the Kipling and Dundas one (just outside Kipling Station) is not busy but it is well stocked.
I've actually read some positive neighbourhood buzz about the Kipling-Dundas location, but I have yet to visit that store.

I've actually read some positive neighbourhood buzz about the Kipling-Dundas location, but I have yet to visit that store.

I work at High Park and go there regularly. It is one of the nicer ones I have been to.

As I said before, the Christie and Dupont location is out of place for the neighbourhood.

I live between the Evans and Dundas location, I find the Dundas near Kipling is much more calm and quiet. The Evans is always packed. Don't give away this secret.

Speaking of Farm Boy, there is one opening on the waterfront at Sugar Wharf, 100 Queens Quay E: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2023/01/23/farm-boy-is-opening-torontos-10-location-next-month.html
It'll be exciting to see a Farm Boy within 500 metres of another Farm Boy;) This leads to thinking that the Loblaws at the corner will be eventually redeveloped.

Retail Insider broke the original story last June, which just shows how long things can take with construction in Toronto.

There was also that unit in Daniels that was advertised to become a fancy Italian place. I wonder what will happen with that space?

It'll be exciting to see a Farm Boy within 500 metres of another Farm Boy;) This leads to thinking that the Loblaws at the corner will be eventually redeveloped.
To be fair, people like me would go to that Farm Boy fairly regularly, but the one at Harbourfront almost never. And I think there are a fair number of people like me living around the new one. 500 metres is a significant addition to your travel time if you're on foot... with a toddler in tow.

It'll be exciting to see a Farm Boy within 500 metres of another Farm Boy;)

A relatively small Farm Boy, with relatively limited selection, but yes, it's close............but......not 500M.......it's 870M

Not an uncommon practice among supermarkets. Saves on trucking costs if you can supply two stores in close proximity.

The distance between Metro at College Park, and Metro at Gould Street is 850M

This leads to thinking that the Loblaws at the corner will be eventually redeveloped

It will. Not remotely in question.

Retail Insider broke the original story last June, which just shows how long things can take with construction in Toronto.

Uhh.....no they did not break the story. I did. Here. LOL

Back