News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Looks like a restaurant will be opening in the Omega, presumably in the space vacated by Starbucks:

Permit Type Major Development Permit
Permit Class Class B
Permit Date Mar 13, 2020
Status In Progress
Description of Development To change the use from a Specialty Food Service to a Restaurant (Total 103.2 sq.m of Public Space with 47 seats, including indoor sitting area (58.4 sq.m with 25 seats) and outdoor sitting area (44.8 sq.m with 22 seats) and to construct interior alterations.
Address 101, 10504 - 99 AVENUE NW

Looks like a restaurant will be opening in the Omega, presumably in the space vacated by Starbucks:

Permit Class Class B
Permit Date Mar 13, 2020
Status In Progress
Description of Development To change the use from a Specialty Food Service to a Restaurant (Total 103.2 sq.m of Public Space with 47 seats, including indoor sitting area (58.4 sq.m with 25 seats) and outdoor sitting area (44.8 sq.m with 22 seats) and to construct interior alterations.
Address 101, 10504 - 99 AVENUE NW
Great to see this space activated.

Downtown is finally getting a pet store! a Pet Valu at Canterra Centre. I'm guess from the address and details that it's the former Mongolie Grill.

Permit Class Class A
Permit Date Mar 20, 2020
Status Approved
Description of Development To change the Use from a Restaurant to a General Retail Store with Accessory Personal Service Shop and to construct interior alterations (Pet Valu store with dog grooming services and self-serve dog wash).
Address 10110 - 109 STREET NW

1584982981211.png

New Edmonton City Club
Interesting!! I got a card in the mail today for this new Edmonton City Club. Seems that this is being planned by the group that used to run the old Edmonton Petroleum Club. They want to "debut " this year. They say the location hasn't been finalized yet but that the Club's Board "has identified options within the downtown City Centre area". Anyone else heard of this? I wonder what locations they are considering downtown. Stantec podium? The old Centre Club on 102 St/103 Ave (previously Stantec office space)?

New Edmonton City Club
Interesting!! I got a card in the mail today for this new Edmonton City Club. Seems that this is being planned by the group that used to run the old Edmonton Petroleum Club. They want to "debut " this year. They say the location hasn't been finalized yet but that the Club's Board "has identified options within the downtown City Centre area". Anyone else heard of this? I wonder what locations they are considering downtown. Stantec podium? The old Centre Club on 102 St/103 Ave (previously Stantec office space)?
Yes, I've had some conversations with them and it sounds very promising, though being operational this year is not likely going to happen...

They should really be taking the Canada permanent building on 100st. It's made for that. I also feel the club would bring back nice life to this building. If @Abba or @JN01 either of you know someone part of the organizing committee. It should be mentioned to them. View attachment 237868

If there's one building Downtown that I really, really, really want to see occupied it's this one.

@OverheardatYEG agree. This proposed Edmonton City Club (ECC) would be an ideal tenant for this building. Not sure how much space the ECC Board is looking for but Canada Permanent (CP) might not have enough. If they are looking for a roughly "like for like" (in terms of square footage) replacement for the old Petroleum Club then CP may be too small. I don't know how large the old Petroleum Club was but it had a fair sized footprint and three floors (incl. basement). CP has 12-13,000 sq feet, I think. Primavera's Brighton Block would be cool as well. I think it has about 35,000 sq feet in total. ECC could be neighbours with @archited .

@westcoastjos, just curious as to your reasons why you feel that way about the DT market?
Maybe not the best example. Another would be the grocery store and coffee shop that closed up on 99 St for the Bateman towers that have yet to materialize. It simply means that gentrification isn't all good. There are pros, but there are definite cons. Parts of Brooklyn NY have been impacted by it and I could see the Quarters doing the same down the road. 104 Street has done the same. Real estate is horrendously expensive and it makes it hard for small business owners to make it. The farmers market just packed up for stability I am sure.

The Beaverton is satire for anyone that doesn't know.

Back