News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Beaverton is a gas sometimes, love it.

I see what you're saying @westcoastjos, gentrification isn't all good by a long shot. Another example would be Whyte Ave, and it's only getting worse. I remember the mid 80's to recent & the cost of doing business on the Ave has slowly pushed out many of the locals and their creative appeal. The Quarters has a long way to go for sure but as the area progresses (slow steps) it seems inevitable, yet pros n' cons.

Ha, of course their regional office is in a city that isn't event inside the region lol

But anyway, my fingers are crossed in hopes that they got a central city location!

But anyway, my fingers are crossed in hopes that they got a central city location!
@Platinum107 Apple, other than retail locations, is not typically a City-centre type of company, the Camrose location being a perfect example. They may be moving for recruitment reasons, but I would expect a suburban locale.

@Platinum107 Apple, other than retail locations, is not typically a City-centre type of company, the Camrose location being a perfect example. They may be moving for recruitment reasons, but I would expect a suburban locale.
That was my thinking too. Lots of land on the southside for them to develop an office on.

Dairy Queen coming to Oliver:

Description: To construct interior alterations to a shell CRU ''Dairy Queen''. Tenant fit up, new interior partitions, ceiling, finishes, fixtures, equipment and rooftop equipment.
Permit date: September 22, 2020
Type: Building Permit
Subtype: (03) Interior Alterations
Category: Commercial Final
Class: Restaurants and Bars (540)
Address: 11214 - JASPER AVENUE NW
Neighbourhood: OLIVER
Zoning: DC1
Value: $400,000.00

This is in the little complex with Local and Second Cup.

Anyone know why Calgary seems to have so many more high quality and affordable condos compared to us? Seems to be a lot of 2bdrm units in the 300-400k range in newer buildings. Most of it's nicer than our 400-500k stock here. Super frustrating.
One simple explanation might be the size of the stock. Calgary has a much larger supply of those than Edmonton, with a not so much larger population in the metro area. Also, there's the novelty factor, as our market is just now seeing higher quality in larger quantities and in more prominent areas of the city.

Also the oil recession has hit Calgary much harder than Edmonton especially in the white-collar, head-office segment with several companies actually closing up shop and leaving that City. Even more so than Edmonton the downturn is affecting Calgary (Edmonton has a broader resource base and so can better weather the oil downturn). Hence prices are falling more dramatically in Calgary re housing in particular, now suffering an oversupply situation.

Also the oil recession has hit Calgary much harder than Edmonton especially in the white-collar, head-office segment with several companies actually closing up shop and leaving that City. Even more so than Edmonton the downturn is affecting Calgary (Edmonton has a broader resource base and so can better weather the oil downturn). Hence prices are falling more dramatically in Calgary re housing in particular, now suffering an oversupply situation.

There still seems to be many more new high rise residential projects on the go there, but maybe those are lagging the oil bust (as in, they are too far along to stop development now?).

There still seems to be many more new high rise residential projects on the go there, but maybe those are lagging the oil bust (as in, they are too far along to stop development now?).
Browsing through the Skyrise Calgary forum, that's the impression I get from what they say there. Also, some of them are likely being converted into rentals, as this market doesn't seem to have been so impacted by the oil bust (they can rely on the immigration flux, particularly the international students, to provide some steady income).

Friend of mine that's just been hired to work as an office administrator for the Apple office in Camrose said that they asked him if he was willing to relocate to Edmonton once the pandemic is over.
My bet it that they're going to take advantage of the high vacancy level (around 20%) and dropping prices to move their operation here, and it's not hard to guess why. I know for a fact that a lot of their employees in California resist a lot to move to Camrose, and Edmonton, being a larger city and more connected, in terms of transportation options, is a lot more appealing to people.

Back