News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Give Whyte wider sidewalks (with more space for patios), a good road diet (a little less street parking wouldn't hurt) and maybe some public art and it'll be even better than this!
Isn't that what the new Whyte Ave plan includes? (I hope)

Isn't that what the new Whyte Ave plan includes? (I hope)
Kind of... I found it to be a little underwhelming and half-baked. They're too afraid of making any serious commitment to no longer having Whyte as a bit of a stroad. Keeping median lanes for left turns, too much parking and vehicle lanes too wide. They could add a good 3 feet on each side of the sidewalks and make it a true 40km/h zone to make it safer and likely less noisy by making narrower lanes alone, and even more by taking out the turning lanes (as some have pointed out, vehicular noise is a common complaint).

Kind of... I found it to be a little underwhelming and half-baked. They're too afraid of making any serious commitment to no longer having Whyte as a bit of a stroad. Keeping median lanes for left turns, too much parking and vehicle lanes too wide. They could add a good 3 feet on each side of the sidewalks and make it a true 40km/h zone to make it safer and likely less noisy by making narrower lanes alone, and even more by taking out the turning lanes (as some have pointed out, vehicular noise is a common complaint).
I haven't taken a deep dive look into the plan but when I did awhile back I recall being quite underwhelmed too. I'll take a look into it and see what we're really getting here.

Confirmed today this is a new operations location for Downtown EPS, peace officers, transit, fire etc (Three Bananas). They will also be operating out of location in Central LRT station.

Major Development Permit
In Progress
To change the use from a Specialty Food Service to a Protective and Emergency Service that is Accessory to a Public Park (EPS and Edmonton Peace Officer beat station at Churchill Square)
9918 - 102 AVENUE NW

I don't think you're reading what I'm saying. In aggregate, Winnipeg and Hamilton offer better urban-focused spaces. It's largely because they're older and have more pre-war urbanism that's intact. Old Strathcona, if you'll refer back to my posts, is something I continually bring up as something that sticks out as an urban highlight for Edmonton. Winnipeg's Osborne and Corydon or Hamilton's Dundas (I actually haven't referenced James St in this thread), the closest analogues to Whyte, don't compare favourably. But the thing with Edmonton is there's Whyte and then there's everything else. Not that everything else is a write-off, but my point is that compared to similarly sized cities (Calgary, Ottawa) as well as smaller cities (Winnipeg, Hamilton), there's a lot left to be desired. Winnipeg's "Whyte Ave equivalent" may not hold up against it, but it has the Exchange, Wolseley, Old St Boniface, the West End, West Broadway, in addition to the Osborne-Corydon area, along with many less vibrant areas with incredible urbanism that you simply don't find here.
100% this

Winnipeg and Edmonton are a lot more alike than either would like to admit, including the crime issues.
One of the things I really liked about Winnipeg in particular the times I visited there, was it seemed like a much less pretentious place than the corporate head office cities.

It does feel fairly comfortable and familiar to Edmontonians. Having said that, it is also true about the downside - both cities are a destination particularly for people from the more northern areas of their respective provinces, people who have faced and still face discrimination, exploitation and poverty.

So yes there are all the social issues that go with that, including more crime, than you get in our more gilded corporate style gated community downtowns where mainly the rich live or work.

20230621_162515.jpg

Back