News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.2K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

My guess is it is admin office space mostly but worth someone asking Gather & Co. or Boyle Street to clarify.

F74BBC0C-92DA-4779-89B1-013D877E045C.png

Took a screenshot from the Journal article which had slightly more details. It seems like most of the programming and services are moving to Bissell. The Mercer will seem to host 30-40 people a day max.

….mercer? I am confused by this. With oilers games picking back up, do we want to draw more traffic south into the main bar/restaurant areas? Or am I misunderstanding what a community space is? I wouldn’t have my wife walk by boyle street alone, so do I need to be concerned about her going to Baiju now?

“These spaces are designed for individuals actively working toward stability,” he said of the culture programming being offered by Indigenous elders and knowledge keepers at the Mercer building.

“It’s very different — what we’re definitely saying is we’re not moving that building to Mercer,” Tanti said while gesturing to the Boyle Street Community Services building

The City is moving forward to remove some of the information kiosks for a bit of a spruce up of the streetscaping, as actual Streetscaping 102-109 Street is years away yet.

Reference ID:Job No 485061306-002
Description:To construct exterior alterations to a mixed-use Multi-unit Housing building (remove the off-site information kiosk and fill it with matching pavers).
Plan NB Blk 2 Lots 79-81
Applicant:DUALITA ARCHITECTURE
Create Date:2023-09-19T11:30:22Z
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN
Class of Permit:Class A

Not sure which one this is:

Reference ID:Job No 485356649-002
Description:To Demolish an existing Bus Shelter
Plan 2321876 Blk A Lot 1
Applicant:APOLLO INTERIORS INC.
Create Date:2023-09-21T08:14:30Z

Was/Is a bus shelter but all the windows are smashed out.

Reference ID:Job No 484853149-002
Description:To demolish a We are removing a semi enclosed seating area in front of Epcor Tower. This small structure is on Private property not City owned property.
Plan 2321876 Blk A Lot 1
Create Date:2023-09-18T08:05:49Z

The City is moving forward to remove some of the information kiosks for a bit of a spruce up of the streetscaping, as actual Streetscaping 102-109 Street is years away yet.

Reference ID:Job No 485061306-002
Description:To construct exterior alterations to a mixed-use Multi-unit Housing building (remove the off-site information kiosk and fill it with matching pavers).
Plan NB Blk 2 Lots 79-81
Applicant:DUALITA ARCHITECTURE
Create Date:2023-09-19T11:30:22Z
Class of Permit:Class A

Is that in reference to these below? Because if so, I was just wondering that last week when the City was going to get rid of these, they're sure weathered and in poor shape.

Does anyone have any insight as to the original idea behind these? What's inside of them or was supposed to be inside?

Kiosk.PNG

Was/Is a bus shelter but all the windows are smashed out.

Reference ID:Job No 484853149-002
Description:To demolish a We are removing a semi enclosed seating area in front of Epcor Tower. This small structure is on Private property not City owned property.
Plan 2321876 Blk A Lot 1
Create Date:2023-09-18T08:05:49Z
losing that one is a shame - architecturally in it’s use of form and material (polished and water blasted vertical and cantilevered granite) for a simple bus stop it was quite lovely.

i’m assuming that maintenance and vandalism finally became simply too overwhelming to continue. it’s too bad that type of behaviour made the stop less attractive/usable for those whom the shelter was constructed for. even replacing the original glass with plexiglass didn’t slow it down. :(
IMG_8250.jpeg

Last edited:
Is that in reference to these below? Because if so, I was just wondering that last week when the City was going to get rid of these, they're sure weathered and in poor shape.

Does anyone have any insight as to the original idea behind these? What's inside of them or was supposed to be inside?

View attachment 509878

They used to have telephone booths and intersection electronics. Maybe folklore, but I had heard at one time that bathrooms were contemplated.

Very 'Metro' Parisian and they will be missed... especially given the metal stand-ups with corrugated plastic to staple to now. Seriously, WTF folks.

Yes, they were quite nice and did serve some purpose initially - the main ones seem to be for telephone booths and for a place to put up posters and flyers.

Well, telephone booths are fairly obsolete now and the structures are showing their age, so it is probably time for them to go, but I hope they are replaced by something a bit elegant and not too bare bones.

^ says they're just removing them and putting paving stones back in.

Back