News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

O'day-min is larger than Downtown, includes many other areas notably Kingsway employment area, NAIT etc.
Gotcha. That makes sense. I guess the Alex/NAIT/Kingsway are all big employers.

Always hard to know what to call our downtown. Kalen used it to discuss new suburbs and transportation, suggesting few people work downtown and therefore new suburbs aren’t a problem for commuting. But if 10% is downtown proper, and adding in kingsway/NAIT/UofA got us to 30%+, then her framing feels a bit misleading. Not a huge difference between UofA kingsway and our CBD if you’re driving from chapelle…

Show of hands: who here works a job downtown?

I currently do not

Downtown worker here as well from the 41% public administration statistic, but I'm not doing a hybrid schedule to pump up those Valley Line ridership numbers lol

Downtown worker here as well from the 41% public administration statistic, but I'm not doing a hybrid schedule to pump up those Valley Line ridership numbers lol
I was just going to say also: for those working in dt, who is actually in the private sector?

Only jobs I worked downtown were public sector. Every private sector job I've had were all based out of suburban offices.

I was just going to say also: for those working in dt, who is actually in the private sector?

Only jobs I worked downtown were public sector. Every private sector job I've had were all based out of suburban offices.
A few of my other friends are in the same boat. The only people who I know work for the private sector in DT all are at the banks, Stantec and some law firms. I'm obviously not counting crown corps as private too lol (AimCo, ATB)

Well not all my jobs are downtown, but I will work at Roger's Place and at the convention center. I also have and will potentially work at the Citadel and the Winspear too.

One of the biggest problems for our core is that most stuff you can find downtown you can also find throughout the city. When the arena moved downtown that brought people into the core that never used to come. Same thing to a lesser degree is the RAM. I think if one or two more unique (only one in the city) businesses, or venue, or attraction can come to the core, that is what will help our downtown grow.

I worked DT for 35 years. Most in the private sector (TSE listed utility company) 8 in the public sector. Retired now.

I'm a public sector worker, but this is also why I constantly bring up the need for downtown to start attracting more private corporations to set up shop there. An increasingly diverse workforce and an increase in various businesses will have a positive spin-off effect that downtown desperately needs. Unfortunately this is not a priority or even a concern for the folks over at city council these days.

I've been living and working in downtown for 3 decades now. I've been working from home since COVID but I still venture out 3 or 4 times a week to workout at the gym, grab lunch or explore around.

I'm a public sector worker, but this is also why I constantly bring up the need for downtown to start attracting more private corporations to set up shop there. An increasingly diverse workforce and an increase in various businesses will have a positive spin-off effect that downtown desperately needs. Unfortunately this is not a priority or even a concern for the folks over at city council these days.
Have worked downtown for years, in the private sector. The city does not seem that interested in attracting more private corporations, which is a shame because if some effort was made it could probably help quite a bit.

Have worked downtown for years, in the private sector. The city does not seem that interested in attracting more private corporations, which is a shame because if some effort was made it could probably help quite a bit.
Yup and I wish it was something media outlets (or just people in general) picked up on and would start grilling the city about.

Back