News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I don’t think it’s a waste. But we honestly need to do this to half of downtown. I don’t understand how we still have so many roads seemingly 10 years beyond their life. So many run down curbs and old concrete. So any street being improved feels like a win. But yeah, how so many others look is a shame and others likely should have been prioritized.

103st and 104st need a lot more love.

I don’t think it’s a waste. But we honestly need to do this to half of downtown. I don’t understand how we still have so many roads seemingly 10 years beyond their life. So many run down curbs and old concrete. So any street being improved feels like a win. But yeah, how so many others look is a shame and others likely should have been prioritized.

103st and 104st need a lot more love.

The planning for the 106 St streetscape is done and is awaiting budget for construction I think, as that is one stretch that needs a rebuild as well.

104 St is tough because it did have a complete rebuild, but 25 (or so) years ago whereas other streets have never been rebuilt to a pedestrian-oriented standard.

103 Ave is getting repaved west of 103 street - too bad it wasn't a sidewalk upgrade, trees, road diet etc.

The good news about the civic precinct upgrade was that it was a road project that was fairly quick, didn't disrupt much in the way of traffic or people. Sure would be nice to see some more housing in the parking lot at the west/north end. Would give the few businesses along this street a boost, too.

Warning: some may find this post offensive about usage of the term junkie.

The term "junkie" apparently originated from the 1920's when people who were heroin users would sell scrap metal and other junk to pay for their addiction.

Obviously, lots of stigma attached to mental illness - it's the biggest reason emergency service workers and those in the military, police etc where there are higher levels of PTSD due to the nature of their work try to hide their illness, which is disastrous because like a physical illness, if you don't get treatment it will just get worse (police and health care workers among the highest suicide rates)

Drug addiction is also classified as a mental illness. These drugs change the brain in fundamental ways, disturbing a person’s normal hierarchy of needs and desires, and substituting new priorities connected with procuring and using drugs. The resulting compulsive behaviors override the ability to control impulses despite the consequences.

We don't often call people with illnesses like diabetes, epilepsy or cancer derogatory terms, but those with an addiction and/or mental illness face a different kind of stigma- in some cases, i was told, that stigma and what it does to a person's psychological health, can sometimes be harder to overcome than the actual illness.

Language evolves with time though. We obviously hear less of words like fag or terms related to specific races/ethnicities. Mental illness and addictions is headed that way, too.

Last edited:

So. Back to downtown…

I’d love to hear what people think are our best 5 intersections in the core and why! If you took someone to that intersection (not just street), it would best showcase our city.

Jasper and 104st is pretty solid building wise!

121st and 102 ave is my “almost downtown” vote.(especially once Jamison finishes).

- Jasper/104 Street - buildings, people
- RHW/100a Street - patios, restaurants
- 99 Ave/108 Street - View of the Leg/plaza
- 104/104 - View of Rogers, Neon Sign Museum, contrast old/new
- Jasper/100 St - View of MacDonald, CN Tower, iconic Telus building architecture.

99th street and 103 avenue - you can see the aga, the courthouse, ram, city hall, the fountains, churchill square, the library (for better or worse), lrt, the citadel, the winspear, a host of towers from chancery to century to cn to epcor to stantec to td to telus and the macleod building and the westin…

In addition to the intersections posted above, will add:
103 st/103 Ave - views of the ICE District plaza, Connect Centre (including their businesses), Stantec, JW Marriott, Rogers Place, Bob & Doug statue, Crash Hotel, Ultima, Encore and the eatery strip along 103 St are so awe-inspiring that one can forget about the vacant Bay space and their unfriendly parkade.

Was speaking with a friend tonight who works for a large, well known employer downtown and I was told that when their lease is up in exactly one year they will be leaving downtown and are taking up office space on the south side due to safety reasons.

All employees at the firm were surveyed about staying downtown versus locating elsewhere and it was more than clearly communicated by all employees that due to safety reason they did not want to be downtown and management listened. Also noteworthy that this same firm has employees in downtown Calgary and the sentiment in Calgary was not nearly as strongly felt by employees there as it was in Edmonton and those Calgary employees will be staying downtown for the foreseeable future.

Enough of this crap in our city.

Last edited:
Former Edmonton Catholic School Board building

Reference ID:Job No 476719006-002
Description:To Change the Use from a Public Education Service to a Health Service
Plan NB Blk 5 Lots 31-32
Applicant:ENVISION MIND CARE
Create Date:2023-06-28T14:22:59Z
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN
Class of Permit:Class B

In addition to the intersections posted above, will add:
103 st/103 Ave - views of the ICE District plaza, Connect Centre (including their businesses), Stantec, JW Marriott, Rogers Place, Bob & Doug statue, Crash Hotel, Ultima, Encore and the eatery strip along 103 St are so awe-inspiring that one can forget about the vacant Bay space and their unfriendly parkade.
I go by there often and its true, the west side of 103 St is vibrant, excellent and basically what you would want in a downtown.

The east side with the vacant old Bay space is like a black hole that sucks the life out of the area to the east. I hope it is redeveloped soon, it is a good size space that has a number of possibilities.

Back