News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

F2uPrgoa8AAnpTB

The Central LRT entrance from the 100 Street ETS terminal was closed so I had to walk further down to Churchill Station to catch the LRT. If I was a tourist who's staying at the Hotel Mac and wanted to take the LRT to the Heritage Festival, I don't think I'd be very impressed. But that is so typical of downtown Edmonton these days.

Did the doors have alternative entrance options with hours of operation and a map?

Did the doors have alternative entrance options with hours of operation and a map?

I didn't see any such thing.
I'm wondering what would have happened if I drove my car to Northlands, apart from paying $15 for parking.
Something to consider next month when the Edmonton Expo is on and there are more tourists.

I didn't see any such thing.
I'm wondering what would have happened if I drove my car to Northlands, apart from paying $15 for parking.
Something to consider next month when the Edmonton Expo is on and there are more tourists.
Depending when you get there. I ended up parking in the Coliseum parking lot and walked to the site.

Provide your feedback on proposed 103A Avenue streetscape and 99 Street pedway designs until August 21

Reference ID:Job No 480555537-002
Description:Cindy Li - To construct exterior alterations (exterior lighting improvements at Commerce Place)
Plan 0022666 Blk 1 Lot F
Applicant:DIALOG
Create Date:2023-08-08T07:25:20Z
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

Your move YEGDT.
---

Calgary Downtown Association

The new basketball court at Century Gardens officially opened yesterday! This court will be another great addition to the downtown community giving kids and adults another place to be active! Come down and try it out. #DowntownCalgary #ExploreDowntownYYC

Apparently the city was going to put up pickleball and basketball courts on the plot of land the YMCA (Bill Rees?) was on at 105 st and 102 Ave (northeast corner), but LRT construction is going to be using that space as a laydown area. Would have been nice - and again further activated 102 Ave.

How can there be so much undeveloped land downtown and no place to put courts like this even temporarily for a few years? How about the Quarters especially with LRT stop there?

Or any other ideas for a location?

Apparently the city was going to put up pickleball and basketball courts on the plot of land the YMCA (Bill Rees?) was on at 105 st and 102 Ave (northeast corner), but LRT construction is going to be using that space as a laydown area. Would have been nice - and again further activated 102 Ave.

How can there be so much undeveloped land downtown and no place to put courts like this even temporarily for a few years? How about the Quarters especially with LRT stop there?

A lot of interim development sites are being used as temporary dog parks and community gardens in Vancouver as well.

Although with courts I would like to see them as a permanent, well done installation for vibrancy purposes. No half ass attempts, make it beautiful like the ones in calgary.

how about the new warehouse district park?

The Centennial Plaza renovations should be finishing up within the next year or so.

how about the new warehouse district park?

Yes there will be a few hoops there in a couple more years so thst will help.

With pickleball, I saw a news story of some malls in the US converting or dedicating space to pickleball courts to good success. I think that idea was posted on this site previously?

Our city centre mall could be a good candidate.

Puneeta McBryan also suggested to city council recdntly that they should consider something like Calgary did with one of their downtown malls - Devonian Gardens. It's got a playground that can obviously be used year round and all sorts of plants/trees etc. Its apparently quite busy. Their city put $37 million into it and manage it now but it was originally a gift. McBryan seemed to indicate to council there was interest from the mall here.

Screenshot_20230811-100759_Samsung Internet.jpg

^They already come downtown to use e-scooters on sidewalks cause mom said don't go on the road.

The Warehouse Park has a multi-use court. Future use of the former Bill Rees YMCA site could be a court. The City is also working on a report to the Council for 'small-scale amenity opportunities Downtown' that may identify other sites.

Last edited:

Back