News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I don't know why it is not linking correctly at the moment - it's usually not a problem. I have added a direct hyperlink to my previous post, and deleted the posts regarding the imaging problems.

The old brown brick DUCA building, behind the new one (an urban tumour that is as gross as was rendered), is boarded and hoarded up...demolition appears imminent.

The old brown brick DUCA building, behind the new one (an urban tumour that is as gross as was rendered), is boarded and hoarded up...demolition appears imminent.

Yep! the only thing it has going for it is that fact that there are 2 retail spots (if they ever get leased)

Call me crazy but I liked the old Duca office building. Maybe not in it's location but nevertheless ...

April 30 2009

Demolition trucks where on site today. Looks like they will start on friday, taking down the old building.

May 3 2009

Carter.jpg

Attachments

• Carter.jpg
    Carter.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 330
I personally adore this twin complex .... Triomphe @ Northtown ... I really like that spire like pinnacle, it makes quite a statement on Yonge Street IMO :)

They finally started excavating the old Duca site behind the new Duca building...construction on the 17 storey seniors' residence has begun.

They're having almost comical problems with water and mud. Construction equipment has been literally spinning its wheels for a month, trying to deal with the sludgey muck that's completely caked everything inside the hoarding. I don't know if it's a pump problem or they hit a pipe or some kind of groundwater or a lack of manpower or whatever else, but excavation is going nowhere fast. The St. George Anglican Church project a block north on Yonge began excavation about a week before but is already almsot finished pouring the parking garage level.

Isn't it around here where that creekbed whose emerald-necklace runs SE of here would run?

I'm not sure if the creek actually runs underneath this specific site, but it might be the source of groundwater if groundwater is the problem. When I say excavation, I mean they literally just drilled the parking lot asphalt up and went down no more than five feet on one part of the site before it turned to mud as if they removed the skin off a bowl of pudding. They haven't really excavated anything. If the groundwater was that close to the surface, stiletto heels in the neighbourhood would sprout geysers like mini Jed Clampetts. Four condos and a hotel are on the way on the block immediately south of this seniors' home, though, so they might have problems with water, too. But I suspect it may not be a creek because the Duca office building, jsut feet to the east, didn't have this mud problem.

The necklace also runs NW.

it has been raining incessantly in for quite a while now, which I'm sure contributes greatly to the problem. If the soil they're digging through has a lot of clay in it, the water will not drain through.

I meant to say removing the parking lot asphalt was *not* like taking the skin off a bowl of pudding...the mud appeared when it rained a few days after they started digging around and never dried out or was never pumped out, and the water/mud has gotten worse every week since then for unknown reasons, even during sunny periods of little rain (it's been mud for like 2 months now).

If I were you I'd run out and get a potter's wheel and a kiln: looks like all the raw materials you could hope for are across the street waiting to be turned into earthenware. Do they allow kilns on balconies?

Back