News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Looking forward to seeing Newtonbrook Pottery showing up on the Antiques Roadshow in 100 years.

Meanwhile... got a camera ScarberianK? Can we have a look at this site?

No camera. If I did, I'd have taken photos of this and a hundred other projects across that forgotten majority of the city called North of Eglinton. Solaris and a few other people seem to make the rounds, though. Is mud that interesting? Not a very impressive hole compared to, say, the MLSE hole with that truck bridge. Many suburban projects are beastly and don't have the kind of friendly context that the many beastly downtown projects at least get, so perhaps it's for the best that we see them sparingly.

Looking forward to seeing Newtonbrook Pottery showing up on the Antiques Roadshow in 100 years.

I was wondering if they could make bricks out of the clay for Duca. We'd see the results of that labour more overtly. It's also an appropriate topic for North York Centre given that its eponymous subway station has those memorable ceramic murals depicting a rural North York in the mid-19th century.

Behind the Duca office building, they just put up a crane that looks to be about 200ft in the air. Its really tall and stands out from far away.

Its for a retirement home, about 15 storeys. Apparently it will be full of old people. Personally the Duca building could be raised and rebuilt with some real height instead of 2 or 3 storeys...

Density

One complex one maximum density permission........

One podium for the entire development for Duca and the Retirement Tower

Oh yeah, ever heard of a 600 feet deep ground source heat pump (to explain the "mud" issue)?

Last edited:
Mod you can re name this to Canterbury Place now
Feb 23
5475065516_8af80d0d2f_b.jpg

5475064182_e86d503a8f_b.jpg

5475061384_bb6144c937_b.jpg

5475060150_66db66cb67_b.jpg

5475056928_e673999ea6_b.jpg

February 15 2011 update

Previous photo that I forgot about ... the 17 storeys retirement tower being built behind the Duca offices is named 'Canterbury Place':

IMG_5248.jpg

IMG_5249.jpg

IMG_5250.jpg

Here's a report:
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2007/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-6433.pdf

Low-rise DUCA offices on Yonge (not sure about retail yet) with a 17 storey seniors' home at the back - John Anderson's was demolished a few days ago and when the new part's done, construction will begin to turn the site of the old DUCA into the seniors' home...supposedly DUCA will stay open the entire time. It flew under the radar because it's not a condo, I guess. I'd also take pictures but I don't have a camera.

I'm kind of surprised that the Yonge frontage will only be 2-3 storeys, but it's certainly better than a parking lot.

This isn't an office building, it's the retirement home. This whole development is utterly sad, including the office building.

This isn't an office building, it's the retirement home. This whole development is utterly sad, including the office building.

I have seen a lot of complaints about this building on previous posts.

What would you have preferred to see?

Was joy riding down the NYCC Yonge strip last night, haven't driven along there in years. The sight of the built-up highrise streetwall and amount of cranes/construction sites reaally impressed me.

I have seen a lot of complaints about this building on previous posts.

What would you have preferred to see?

More offices silly for NYCC ... what else :)

It was more of a complaint regarding the DUCA building ti self fronting Yonge which seems like a wasted opportunity not the retirement homes behind.

Back