News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'm sorry, it's really late so it's not immediately obvious to me why the DRL would have any effect on the Dufferin bus, so please explain.

I imagine because he's thinking of the people who take Dufferin to the Bloor Line - something which I have done regularly. I would suspect there would be drop-off of those trips, but the subway would bring more people to the area, encourage people to ride Dufferin south, and attract more people to live around there that I don't think it would have much of a negative effect.

Unless, of course, Fresh Start thinks the DRL would run along the rail corridor, effectively replacing the Dufferin bus in some respects. Then yes, it would probably have a negative effect. But a DRL route along the rail corridor is by no means the obvious choice.

Does anyone know if they are going to resurface Dufferin St. between Queen W and Dundas W? That's gotta be the worst pavement in the whole city. I refuse to drive my car on that street because it's so hard on it. Lansdowne is a much smoother road (other then between dundas and college, that part is just as brutal as dufferin)

Somehow, I'd think it'd be perverse if a resurfacing (nay, a total reconstruction, even) wasn't part of the package; basically, one justifies the other, even if it's carried out successively rather than concurrently...

I just hate to think of the self-damage speed demons might inflict once "motivated" by the no-jog Dufferin clear-of-way.

I'm sorry, it's really late so it's not immediately obvious to me why the DRL would have any effect on the Dufferin bus, so please explain.

The ridership would not drop but the distribution would be different with some who were headed north during peak choosing to head south and vice-versa. The number of origins and destinations on the route should actually increase because better service should lead to increased ridership, although some ridership drop would be expected around the DRL station since those in walking distance might never take the route. If the line was on Queen then some that would have used Bloor would use Queen creating a better distribution than the current bottleneck at Bloor.

The others have basically given you the reasons. The ridership of the 29 bus southwards caters primarily to two catchment areas: Dufferin Mall/Rua Acores and Parkdale. It's typical on most days to have half a busload heading south from Bloor exit the bus before Dundas. That inference tells me that all those folk leftover would handedly switch over to using a DRL if it translates to significantly time savings when trying to get to/from Parkdale. The theory works whether the DRL uses a rail corridor alignment or Queen-Parkside. The Queen route perhaps would be even more beneficial because it could allow for two local stations in the Queen-Dufferin area, a few blocks west and east of the CNR respectively. But the CNR route would allow for a second station at King and Atlantic, a short walk east of Dufferin and north of Exhibition GO - either way meaning less dependency on the bus route overall for access.

Oh and remember that out of 43,000 daily users, probably only one-third head south of Bloor on #29, it's the latter 8 kilometres of the route that constitutes most of the patronage. Divide that further by those that travel south of Dundas only and the necessity for a streetcar route along Dufferin is made less significant.

Somehow, I'd think it'd be perverse if a resurfacing (nay, a total reconstruction, even) wasn't part of the package; basically, one justifies the other, even if it's carried out successively rather than concurrently...

I just hate to think of the self-damage speed demons might inflict once "motivated" by the no-jog Dufferin clear-of-way.

Yea theyll be in for a rude awakening once north of Peel Ave. on Dufferin ;)

Does anyone know if they are going to resurface Dufferin St. between Queen W and Dundas W? That's gotta be the worst pavement in the whole city. I refuse to drive my car on that street because it's so hard on it. Lansdowne is a much smoother road (other then between dundas and college, that part is just as brutal as dufferin)

A friend of mine who lives on Dufferin has filed complaints about that paving mess, largely because as the buses sail over the crevasses, they thump, shaking the houses.

A friend of mine who lives on Dufferin has filed complaints about that paving mess, largely because as the buses sail over the crevasses, they thump, shaking the houses.

It's easily the worst paved stretch of a major street in Toronto that I can think of, off the top of my head.

It's hard to believe Creditview between Britannia and Bristol is currently being resurfaced when it really wasn't in that bad shape, and certainly nowhere near Dufferin's state. I guess federal dollars are good for something.

It's easily the worst paved stretch of a major street in Toronto that I can think of, off the top of my head.

It's on par with Parliament, south of Gerrard. But Parliament is being redone this summer/fall so Dufferin will soon stand alone!

It's hard to believe Creditview between Britannia and Bristol is currently being resurfaced when it really wasn't in that bad shape, and certainly nowhere near Dufferin's state. I guess federal dollars are good for something.
If it's as bad as described, then resurfacing won't do much, and the road must be reconstructed, which would cost ... what, 5 time or 10 times more? The idea is to resurface them before they get to this state, to extend the lifespan of the road.

If you've got a limited budget then you might as well spend the money on resurfacing the roads that don't yet need reconstruction, than reconstructing the ones that have failed ... and wait for some infrastructure funding for the big reconstruction jobs.

Besides ... there's no point reconstructing until they've finished the grade separation, and everyone has decided what to do with Dufferin ... looks like TTC staff have been asked to comment (again) on adding tracks from Queen to College.

`
duffy.jpg

From the Globe:
Toronto art star’s mosaics will grace Dufferin underpass

Luis Jacob’s wide and varied career has made him a success internationally – now’s he’s making his mark in his hometown

Katie Hewitt
From Saturday's Globe and Mail
Published on Friday, Jul. 16, 2010 7:35PM EDT
Local artist Luis Jacob has exhibited all over the world – but he’s still waiting for Toronto to fully take him in.

Mr. Jacob, a South American-born, Scarborough-bred artist, took his work to the Guggenheim in New York City. Legions of starving artists would trade their tinned food for an exhibit there. And Mr. Jacob, part of the group exhibit, Haunted, at the Guggenheim until September, got wall space with the likes of Andy Warhol, Cindy Sherman and Robert Rauschenberg – contemporary art icons.

But in his hometown Toronto, he’s still something of an underground figure. For over 15 years, the 39-year-old has been involved in the city’s art scene: everything from curating queer arts shows to playing with indie band The Hidden Cameras, to co-founding a free, community-run school. His work has exhibited internationally and at the AGO. But as prolific as he is, his artistic reputation hasn’t yet solidified. He says he’s still waiting for people to “connect the dots,” to link all his various projects to the one driving force behind them.

Soon, Mr. Jacob will have another chance to make his mark – his work has been chosen to line the interior walls of the underpass at Dufferin and Queen Streets. The city held a public art contest to revamp the space, set to be completed by summer 2011, and Mr. Jacob won by a unanimous vote of the selection committee.

Mr. Jacob was born in Lima, Peru, but immigrated to Toronto with his family in 1981 at the age of 10, so it was here, he says, that he “really came of age as an artist” (the “Dufferin jog” is in his old Parkdale neighbourhood). He was part of the city’s “explosion of artists’ collectives” in the 1990s, and, among other initiatives, was part of Truck Stop 12, art displayed in a van that toured Toronto. Mr. Jacob became curator-in-residence at the University of Toronto’s Blackwood Gallery in Mississauga while he studied philosophy there, before graduating in 1996.

But something got lost in translation. “It’s something that happens to all artists,” says Mr. Jacob of his sporadic presence on Toronto’s art scene, “some people know your newer work and some people know your older work, or you’re known for different work in different places. In Europe, I’m best known for my Albums.” These mixed-media montages, which he displays on laminate without frames, are images made from magazines and found photographs. “But I haven’t had an Album in Toronto in seven or eight years.” Currently, Mr. Jacob’s Albums are in Copenhagen, New York and Montreal.

His roster of international exhibits also includes Korea and The Netherlands, and one of only two Canadian invitations for Documenta (12), one of the most notable modern and contemporary art exhibits (the first featured Picasso and Kandinsky), held every five years in Kassel, Germany.

Now Mr. Jacob is straddling two projects: breaking out on the international art scene, and waiting on construction glitches that have already delayed his installation in Toronto – the works are worlds apart. The Dufferin jog, an unsightly railway underpass filled with graffiti, is hardly the Guggenheim.

Location was something Mr. Jacob considered carefully before submitting his entry to the City of Toronto’s public-art competition. The artwork had to resonate with pedestrians up close, and at a distance in moving vehicles, and the medium had to be durable enough to endure the weather.

Mr. Jacob chose mosaics for this reason, and because “they’ve traditionally been used to ornament public space,” he says.

His artistic selection was bold, with tie-dye patterns and bright colours, meant to instantly evoke an association, like “sunbursts,” but also meant to linger with the viewer, and leave them with a sense of otherworldliness. He hopes the work, titled The Hall of Community’s Spirits, will evoke a living presence.

“You start to subscribe the picture with a consciousness. What does it take for a work of art to be alive?” Mr. Jacob wonders.

He wants the abstract work to create a haunted feeling, “almost an un-human quality of uncanny, like it’s looking at you,” he says of the “eyes” that appear in every colour-burst patterned panel.

Mr. Jacob says he “wanted to create a sense of presence within the underpass.”

And hopefully, a stronger presence in his city.

Back