News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

i agree. it's a very dangerous combination.

Most of the right on red bans in this area seem to be safety and traffic flow related so the City seems to be putting them in when they deem it necessary.

Queen @ Lansdowne/Jameson = they don't want through-traffic on Lansdowne and Jameson to turn right on a red and block Queen Street traffic that has the green, therefore ban.
Queen @ Dufferin = southbound Dufferin traffic can't see westbound Queen traffic until they are almost into the westbound curb lane, therefore ban.

StIdes just likes to complain about anything that inconveniences him/her because we have a god-given right to drive wherever we please, however we please, whenever we please and anything that slows us down is a direct attack on our freedoms which our Canadian ancestors died for.

as one who is licensed to drive, i like the idea of "no right on red" in high pedestrian/cycle traffic areas because you can simply relax at the red light and not have to stress out because the guy behind you wants you to turn but you can't because there's so many people crossing PLUS you have to keep an eye one the cars. with such a small window of opportunity to turn, screw it. you got times when there's people crossing but there's no cars. some other times when there's cars, there's no people & it seems like for the remaining time, there's both.

but of course, you can ban the "right on red" for certain time periods. doesn't make sense to ban at 3:00am if it's a ghost town at that time & at that particular location.

Last edited:
Not if everyone follows the basic rules of the road.

Drivers.....the ability to turn right on a read is not a "right" it is a convenience that ranks very low (bottom) in the ranking of allowed vehcile/pedestrian movements at a controlled intersection....you can't do it if there are pedistrians crossing or vehcles approaching (including bicycles) in the lane you are entering....and use your signals. If you are sitting at a red light waiting for a chance to turn right do not assume you are sharing the road with a bunch of mind readers....signal your intention to turn allowing cyclists to know that they should not scoot up beside you at the red.

Pedestrians.....watch the little lit up man and do not enter the intersection when the, either, the hand appears or the coutdown begins. If you are a few strides away from a crossing and see the light might change...do not jump into the roadway early to "catch" the light...that car sitting at the light legitimately thinks he has the ok to turn on that red if there are no oncoming vehicles and no pedestrians at the corner, as he turns and accelerates, you have put your safety at risk by saving a few seconds.

Cyclists.......either dismount and become a pedestrian or, in the alternative, acknowledge that you are a vehcile and that lanes of traffic are for one vehicle so don't scoot up beside a car who is stopped at an intersection and try to share a lane with a right turning vehicle when you intend to take your vehicle straight through the intersection.

Agreed 100%

as one who is licensed to drive, i like the idea of "no right on red" in high pedestrian/cycle traffic areas because you can simply relax at the red light and not have to stress out because the guy behind you wants you to turn but you can't because there's so many people crossing PLUS you have to keep an eye one the cars. with such a small window of opportunity to turn, screw it. you got times when there's people crossing but there's no cars. some other times when there's cars, there's no people & it seems like for the remaining time, there's both.

I also agree with this.

In jog-related news, they appear to have put up some forms in the park section facing Queen. Does anyone know what this is for?

I think it'd be great if they eliminated right hand turns on red. Especially in this neighbourhood where there are so many cyclists and pedestrians. If the plan for the jog is to make life better for pedestrians, transit users, cyclists and cars, then getting rid of right hand turns just makes sense.

I think youve never driven in Montreal.

Are you talking about turning from Queensway onto King Street?

No, I'm talking about turning right onto Queensway when youre going south on Roncesvalles.

Most of the right on red bans in this area seem to be safety and traffic flow related so the City seems to be putting them in when they deem it necessary.

StIdes just likes to complain about anything that inconveniences him/her because we have a god-given right to drive wherever we please, however we please, whenever we please and anything that slows us down is a direct attack on our freedoms which our Canadian ancestors died for.

No I complain because of the fact that since other people are idiots, be it drivers, peds or cyclists, I get inconvienced. If everyone followed the rules of the road there would be no need to ban rights on red lights.

Last edited:
I think youve never driven in Montreal.
I learned to drive in Montreal, and I'm quite happy to see right-on-red banned in major cities.

A couple of other big cities similar to to Toronto ban right-on-red ... no reason not to do it here, if it's saves lives. I'm tired of walking on a green light, and being almost hit by cars on a red.

I learned to drive in Montreal, and I'm quite happy to see right-on-red banned in major cities.

A couple of other big cities similar to to Toronto ban right-on-red ... no reason not to do it here, if it's saves lives. I'm tired of walking on a green light, and being almost hit by cars on a red.

The reason not to ban turning on red lights here is because we dont need more of our civil liberties taken away from us to "protect us". If people would just follow the damn rules of the road there would be no problem. Im sick of losing my freedoms because the government decides to protect our slo witted citizens by taking away freedoms. I am not slow witted, I do not want my liberties taken from me. Follow the rules of the road, right turns on reds are totally safe. End of story.

The reason not to ban turning on red lights here is because we dont need more of our civil liberties taken away from us to "protect us". If people would just follow the damn rules of the road there would be no problem. Im sick of losing my freedoms because the government decides to protect our slo witted citizens by taking away freedoms. I am not slow witted, I do not want my liberties taken from me. Follow the rules of the road, right turns on reds are totally safe. End of story.

It's pretty hyperbolic to equate traffic laws with civil liberties. I doubt people in Montreal or New York feel any less free. I'm sure you can afford the extra 10 seconds per day it'll cost you.
Your name isn't Tony Clement is it?

Last edited:
The reason not to ban turning on red lights here is because we dont need more of our civil liberties taken away from us to "protect us". If people would just follow the damn rules of the road there would be no problem.

The rules of the road would include no turns on red... so people following the rules of the road would not turn on red when that rule applied. They took away our right to drive on red to protect us too. If people would just pay attention to avoid other drivers then there would be no need for stoplights and road rules. Speed limits only exists because some morons drive faster than what is safe. That doesn't make speed limits wrong... it makes them right because we live in reality not in the ideal world where laws are unnecessary because everyone is intelligent and thoughtful of others.

The reason not to ban turning on red lights here is because we dont need more of our civil liberties taken away from us to "protect us".
That's just an odd statement. You already have to stop at red lights. Is that taking away your civil liberties?

Getting back on topic with a project status update with photos would be nice. Any takers??

No photos, but when I passed by last night, they had removed all of the temporary supports on the west (Northbound) tunnel and some of them on the east tunnel.

Did drum leave town? He was our resident transit photographer. It has been weeks since his last YouTube video and pictures.

Back