News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Maybe one day in the distant future when Toronto learns what a real regional rail system is, that parkette will be the entrance to an important railway station.

Hipster, hopefully so, but I think that will have to come after the electrification of this line. In the meantime we will at least have a congestion-causing roadblock removed. Looks good!

Sadly, that little concrete and stone parkette looks like a skateboarder's dream.

Why sadly? I've never skateboarded in my life, not being athletically inclined, but why is skateboarding less socially acceptable than, say, basketball?

The kids who skateboard and bike on the concrete course in Alexandra Park look like they are having fun. Ditto for the ones in Markham that I see when I take the GO bus to Stoffville.

I think the most important thing is that someone finds pleasure in the parkette.

Maybe one day in the distant future when Toronto learns what a real regional rail system is, that parkette will be the entrance to an important railway station.

there used to be one there (rail station) a long time ago.

duffjoga.jpg

For comparison with the original:

s0376_fl0002_it0013.jpg

^ i don't remember a jackson's livery being there 12 years ago? ;)

p.s, what's the deal with those sharpened top poles?

*edit*

i think those poles with the sharpened tops are where you tie your horse.

Last edited:
So glad to finally see this coming through to completion. I wonder how this part of Giambrone's ward voted. 40 years of fighting and promises and some rookie councillor comes in and gets it done. Pretty amazing legacy if you ask me.

Why sadly? I've never skateboarded in my life, not being athletically inclined, but why is skateboarding less socially acceptable than, say, basketball?

The kids who skateboard and bike on the concrete course in Alexandra Park look like they are having fun. Ditto for the ones in Markham that I see when I take the GO bus to Stoffville.

I think the most important thing is that someone finds pleasure in the parkette.

I know what you're saying, but skateboarding and basketball are two different things from a 'parkette perspective'. It's not about it being 'accepted' in society. There's no reason to do anything other than play basketball on a basketball court. I used to skateboard and I've absolutely no problem at all with parks geared towards skateboarding. A big reason those parks exist though, is to keep 'boarders away from spaces such as this, which I assume the city (and the community) is hoping will be used by people who want to sit, read or converse. Once the skateboarders roll in and claim it as their own, there's less desire to do so.

When I moved into my newly built house, the driveway was not paved until over a year later. This was to allow the base to settle, else cracks and depressions would appear as the ground settles.

The Dufferin underpass base is a completely new road. Same reason for the road surface as for driveways why it is taking so long. They are allowing the ground base to settle to prevent future potholes.

Except you're driveway wasnt pressed with hall million dollar steam rollers. You don't need for the ground to settle when you have steam rollers.

Except you're driveway wasnt pressed with hall million dollar steam rollers. You don't need for the ground to settle when you have steam rollers.

Actually, when new developments of anykind (residential, commercial, etc.) are developed, they bulldoze, compact, and vibrate the land flat before construction starts. They also repeat it several times after the underground sewers and pipes are laid. That is why trees and gardens have such a hard time growing in new developments, because the ground is so compacted. However, for roads it still needs to be compacted even more, maybe not as much as driveways, but still needs time for the ground to settle more.

Actually, when new developments of anykind (residential, commercial, etc.) are developed, they bulldoze, compact, and vibrate the land flat before construction starts. They also repeat it several times after the underground sewers and pipes are laid. That is why trees and gardens have such a hard time growing in new developments, because the ground is so compacted. However, for roads it still needs to be compacted even more, maybe not as much as driveways, but still needs time for the ground to settle more.

there is a difference between compacting that goes on on one's property vs. a public road. the weight of the machines and the type of compacting (vibrating) on a public roadway could cause damage if it were done right next to the walls of a house. you would very likely cause mortar joints and walls to crack and you could literally cave in the walls your basement. some of compacting vibrating machines used on roads are monsters compared to the ones they use on personal driveways.

Even on new roads if there isn't a concrete base being laid it is more common than not to lay a first layer of asphalt and leave the finishing layer which is level with the curbs, sewer grates, and manholes until many months afterwards.

Back