News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

There is an access point behind the FreshCo at Dundas and Chelsea, north of Bloor. That access point takes you to the tunnel which will ultimately connect directly to the Dundas West subway platform. It's where the kiss and ride is at the moment, but thanks to the construction between the FreshCo and the Crossways, you have to take a very circuitous route to access Dundas West station.

There is an access point behind the FreshCo at Dundas and Chelsea, north of Bloor. That access point takes you to the tunnel which will ultimately connect directly to the Dundas West subway platform. It's where the kiss and ride is at the moment, but thanks to the construction between the FreshCo and the Crossways, you have to take a very circuitous route to access Dundas West station.

According GO's website, at this link, there is no official kiss & ride at Bloor.

Facilities & Services
(
Yes.gif
=Available
No.gif
=Not available)

No.gif
Automatic bank teller machine
Yes.gif
Public washroom
No.gif
Bicycle rack
No.gif
Refreshment kiosk
No.gif
Carpool
No.gif
Reserved parking
Yes.gif
Credit cards accepted
No.gif
Station building
Yes.gif
Debit cards accepted
No.gif
Taxi stand
Yes.gif
Elevators (see status)
Yes.gif
Ticket vending machine
No.gif
Escalators (see status)
No.gif
Waiting room
No.gif
Kiss & Ride passenger drop off
No.gif
Wheelchair accessible bus service
No.gif
Newspaper box
Yes.gif
Wheelchair accessible train service
No.gif
Pay phones​

I'm not sure why that is. The access is through the FreshCo parking lot/the Discount truck rental, so maybe they can't guarantee the access? There's definitely a loop there at the path to the entrance.

Metrolinx/UP/GO seem to be pretending that the Kiss'n'ride doesn't exist. It's not mentioned on the UP website's station info / map either. For a long time (perhaps 1 year), the signage at the entrance from Dundas Street was turned around to hide it, and now it's gone entirely.

Aug 2016 Streetview shows the sign: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6584...CtHIvDxw!2e0!5s20160801T000000!7i13312!8i6656
June 2017 shows the flipped/hidden sign: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6584...1sq31Yig!2e0!5s20170601T000000!7i13312!8i6656

It's kind of annoying because it means that this (I assume very pricey) kiss'n'ride is not as well known as it should be, and pickups/dropoffs (Taxi, Uber, other) end up gumming up Bloor St., Perth Ave., etc.

Metrolinx/UP/GO seem to be pretending that the Kiss'n'ride doesn't exist. It's not mentioned on the UP website's station info / map either. For a long time (perhaps 1 year), the signage at the entrance from Dundas Street was turned around to hide it, and now it's gone entirely.

It's kind of annoying because it means that this (I assume very pricey) kiss'n'ride is not as well known as it should be, and pickups/dropoffs (Taxi, Uber, other) end up gumming up Bloor St., Perth Ave., etc.

Both the Shoppers and Freshco are on one legal title (according to the City of Toronto maps). I assume there is no legal right of way from the stop-light to the kiss and ride. And the owners of the mall want to make sure there is never any so they can build condos.

GO is getting a larger kiss and ride on the property to the south of the existing one when the rental building getting built there right now finishes in a few years.

Tunnel. It's almost the end of summer - so is expropriation complete as was promised by ML? When is it getting built/completed? We want answers, people.

Tunnel. It's almost the end of summer - so is expropriation complete as was promised by ML? When is it getting built/completed? We want answers, people.
This project is not listed on the Metrolinx "Projects" website, I think it is not currently 'active' but will be happy to be proved wrong. Do you have a reference to the ML "promise" of expropriation?

I presume you mean the tunnel through the basement of Crossways from Bloor Station to Dundas West TTC station?

Contractors were on-site for a couple of months, but now you mention it, I haven't seen any progress since. I'll go over and check and update this string later.

[...]
“Our goal is to have control of the property interest by summer 2018. Once the property has been acquired, the design will go through public consultation,” she (Aikins) said, noting the $23 million tab includes the cost of the land, property, design, and construction of the link.

A date for its opening will be set after the expropriation process is completed. [...]
https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...nnected-to-union-pearson-express-station.html

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2017/12/1...ion-overshadows-other-important-transit-news/

Addendum: The 'Hole in the Ground' is http://highstar.ca/construction-projects/dundas-west-towers/

But for Crossways, the construction trailer and hording is still in place, absolutely no sign of activity, but it is directly above the purported area of property where expropriation was indicated, and some sort of concrete work was underway months back.

I'll see what more I can find out and post later.

Last edited:
I presume you mean the tunnel through the basement of Crossways from Bloor Station to Dundas West TTC station?

Contractors were on-site for a couple of months, but now you mention it, I haven't seen any progress since. I'll go over and check and update this string later.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...nnected-to-union-pearson-express-station.html

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2017/12/1...ion-overshadows-other-important-transit-news/
The construction site for the new development to the north is still dead and no one been there for months as of last Sat when I was there.

The construction site for the new development to the north is still dead and no one been there for months as of last Sat when I was there.
That's completely apart from the tunnel further to the south. It will go through the basement lower parking level of Crossways. The building site adjacent to the north, btw, is shut down by MoE orders due to the discovery of 'x' number of buried tanks with polluted petroleum liquid in them. It's difficult getting the exact story as to how many, and how much was leaked. Whether or not the plume migrated onto Crossways' property is a good question, as Crossways also had contractors of their own in within the last year to seal-up the underground chamber cracks from leaking.

Rumour has it that the 'hole in the ground' to the north of Crossways (the development name always escapes me, even though I pass it at least once every day) is there now for two years until soil sampling is clear.

I'm just off now and will pass the area and report if the construction trailer and hoardings are still up at Crossways. They may have been isolating the section of the basement lower parking level required for when the connection is finally made.

Addendum:
"Hole in the Ground" is http://highstar.ca/construction-projects/dundas-west-towers/

As per Crossways, construction trailer and hoarding still there, directly over the area to be/has been expropriated. There's still some question as to who owns the paved area directly to the north of Crossways and south of Highstar development. One connected source tells me it's leased from the City and/or TTC, and the expropriation was for a subterranean section of one of the parking levels that is ostensibly a leasehold property that is outside of the building proper perimeter and over the subway running tunnels.

I'll post more when I can learn more exact details, but for now, after doing concrete work underground, the construction activity appears dormant.

Last edited:
...the two 30 storey monstrosities of the Crossways that have been there since the 70's...
From what I've read, apparently this Crossways complex was built in 1974, and the TTC Dundas West subway station had opened in 1966. Did the subway station platform ever have another entrance closer to the eastern end of the platform, in addition the only present access at the western end? It's always seemed like an unusual arrangement to me, since every other station I'm familiar with has entrances at both ends or in the middle. I don't know what the Dundas West station looked like in the late 1960s and early 1970s, as I didn't start using it until I began working and living in the area in the mid 1980s.

Last edited:
From what I've read, apparently this Crossways complex was built in 1974, and the TTC Dundas West subway station had opened in 1966. Did the subway station platform ever have another entrance closer to the eastern end of the platform, in addition the only present access at the western end? It's always seemed like an unusual arrangement to me, since every other station I'm familiar with has entrances at both ends or in the middle. I don't know what the Dundas West station looked like in the late 1960s and early 1970s, as I didn't start using it until I began working and living in the area in the mid 1980s.

Never did.

See link.

Back