News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Every time I look at those pictures, the song Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows by Lesley Gore pops out in my head.

The fifth picture is obvious. It's a sign annoucing the coming of Cloverdale Mall.

Anna, thanks. I 'll try to get to these locations.

Bayview Village - in its open air incarnation - I only went once or twice as a toddler, and those images don't recall for me. If any UTers know of parents or older folks who might recognize the other mystery pics, please let us know.

If anyone beats me to it - taking pics of the modern locations - my nose won't be out of joint, I promise.

thedeepend - in a way it is kind of a part-time job.:) I post one location daily so that means at least a couple of hours on a weekend. I usually do it at a fast clip so it's like cardio for me.

Don't forget that Bayview Village has pretty much reincarnated itself again in the late 90s/early 2000s. I was born shortly after the mall covered, and I've seen it change over the past 30 years. It's pretty much gone from a local neighbourhood shopping centre to a luxe, predominantly boutique mall. I miss the KMart and the old fruit store (now an A&W restaurant - I never understood how it survived so long with Loblaws right next to it).

This one in the original post didn't come through due to a wayward bracket

brewers.jpg

I can recognize it--Richview Plaza (Eglinton + Wincott)

And I'm having surprising problems with the rest of these, but...

kresge.jpg

loblaws.jpg

Notice how the signage in these Humbertown shots differs (presumably the first is later--backlit plastic)

apt4.jpg

Finch nr Weston Rd?

dominion10.jpg

Cloverdale

unitedcigar.jpg

I *think* this might be Cloverdale, too

steinberg.jpg

Renforth? (Oh, and is the blue car in the middle of the shot the same one in this shot?)
subdivision2.jpg

hunts.jpg

I think Humbertown again, and that's one MILF on the right

Hoo boy CityPlaceN1, that's a lot of work. In the suburbs too. Some are obvious like Humbertown. Most of these are a mystery to me. The archive notes for these pics say they are in Etobicoke but where?

I was joking about this.

This one might be Rexdale Plaza, based on the road sign on the bus stop pole in the last picture

s1464_fl0029_it0007.jpg

s1464_fl0029_it0004.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Many of these pictures were taken in my former stomping grounds of Etobicoke. The strange houses with the mansard roofs I'm familiar with, but for some odd reason I cannot for the life of me remember where they are!

Incredible.. I think what for me is the most apparent, and striking is the complete lack of foliage! Today these are wonderful leafy suburbs... The ones of yesteryear have that Vaughan/Mississauga feel I dread.\

Thanks for that:cool:

Wow! Many of these pictures were taken in my former stomping grounds of Etobicoke. The strange houses with the mansard roofs I'm familiar with, but for some odd reason I cannot for the life of me remember where they are!

Incredible.. I think what for me is the most apparent, and striking is the complete lack of foliage! Today these are wonderful leafy suburbs... The ones of yesteryear have that Vaughan/Mississauga feel I dread.\

Yes it does take time for trees to be planted and for them to grow.

This one might be Rexdale Plaza, based on the road sign on the bus stop pole in the last picture
dominion6.jpg

dominion5.jpg

s1464_fl0029_it0007.jpg

s1464_fl0029_it0004.jpg

If you look at the shadows in the last picture than North would have to be to the left (around lunch hour) or behind (Late afternoon) the pov. It might be Rexdale plaza if the pov is to the south, but then I don't see the giant sears warehouse on the SW corner of the intersection. There does appear to be a traffic sign for the 401 though. If the pov is to the N-NE it could also be Rexdale and 27.

here are a few more odds and sods from that collection:

love those pod shapes!
googie.jpg

not suburbs per se i guess--but a very cool shot!
yongefinch2.jpg

nice shot of the brand new Foresters building
dvp.jpg

i always loved Royal York Gardens...
scarlettrd.jpg

love that Supertest logo!
supertest.jpg

this is rather an odd looking establishment. no idea where it was. could be the Queensway?
hwood2.jpg

a few early Yorkdale shots
yorkdale5.jpg

yorkdale4.jpg

yorkdale3.jpg

yorkdale2.jpg

a few from the opening of Sherway Gardens in 1972. Rock On!
sherway3.jpg

sherway2.jpg

Last edited:

Back