News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

30, 40 years ago, malls and mall retail were seen as a refuge from the untold dangers of city streets, random gunfire and all.

Today, city streets are seen as a refuge from the untold dangers of malls and mall retail, random gunfire and all.

30, 40 years ago, malls and mall retail were seen as a refuge from the untold dangers of city streets, random gunfire and all.

Today, city streets are seen as a refuge from the untold dangers of malls and mall retail, random gunfire and all.

True. Let's build a wall around the downtown core to protect the people with money and keep the thugs out. Good idea.

Sure the shootings are spreading out. And yes transit is making a difference. But that's not a reason to not build transit. -ts not a reason to push the ghetto even more so in the corner. The typical boy who ends up in a gang in jane and finch comes from a rough home. He or she probably doesn't have much money and is likely not doing well in school. The other side of the media tells ppl that they have to get rich. All our shows circle around celebrities and the rich and famous. A house with a car is not success anymore. Today its private jets and owning your own business. Maybe people from stable back grounds get that the image media presents is pure fantasy but for people in poor areas they feel like what's the point. Even if they are smart do they have the money for uni. No one in their family has been to uni can they really be the first. So the boys who enter gangs adopt the "get rich or die trying" moto. This is the only way to get rich so I'm going to try. If I die, big deal my life sucks anyway.

This is completely different then someone like myself whose entire family has gone to uni. Whose parents were able to help me with a down payment for my first condo.

I think you only belong to a small portion of people living in Toronto. Most get OSAP to study and end up in debt or they work their ass off to earn money. Not everyone has parents to pay for down payment as well on a condo/house either. The issue is probably domestic because the people they hang around has the most influences. If they learn from their parents they aren't going anywhere, they won't. You can try to encourage and educate them at school, but if there's domestic issues, it won't help much. Poor immigrants work hard to build up. But because their family background is to work hard. So will their children (hopefully). It would take a third or forth generation to get where you are at. If their parents are gangsters, chances are they will follow suit. I don't think it has anything to do with lifestyle advertisements.

I think you only belong to a small portion of people living in Toronto. Most get OSAP to study and end up in debt or they work their ass off to earn money. Not everyone has parents to pay for down payment as well on a condo/house either. The issue is probably domestic because the people they hang around has the most influences. If they learn from their parents they aren't going anywhere, they won't. You can try to encourage and educate them at school, but if there's domestic issues, it won't help much. Poor immigrants work hard to build up. But because their family background is to work hard. So will their children (hopefully). It would take a third or forth generation to get where you are at. If their parents are gangsters, chances are they will follow suit. I don't think it has anything to do with lifestyle advertisements.

Sure everything you said I agree with as well. I'm just saying if you are brought up in a shitty environment then you are likely to believe "this is it" when in fact you can make something out of your self. Environment is a massive factor.

Toronto is absolutely safe, but it has an escalating gun problem.
Not sure the basis for that, given that gun deaths have been dropping for years. Sure, there's guns out there ... it's a continuing problem, but I don't see that it's an escalating problem. Of course the police will say otherwise ... it's how they get funding.

Even Blair (for what he's worth) has stated that Toronto has a gun problem.
William Blair is a pathological liar, who has been caught in so many lies, that's it's a miracle he hasn't been fired yet. Remember that "cache" of G20 weapons he falsified back in June 2010? Even he backed down when people started coming forward and identified some of the "weapons" that he had lied to the media about.

Now I still can't figure out where the shooting happened. Was it the north or south food court?
From the photos, it was that big, new, food court in the north (under Sears).

I'm having problems picturing the "south food court". Isn't it gone? Or is it just really small.

I'm having problems picturing the "south food court". Isn't it gone? Or is it just really small.

There's no south food court anymore. It got closed down and the area is being renovated. I don't know if they're going to bring the south food court back or not.

This story has made international news. I watched it on CNN yesterday at a bar and my friend in Norway said it was the top news story there :( Real black eye on the city of Toronto.

Saw both William Blair and Rob Ford talking about the shooting last night on TV. For unscripted commentary, Blair was a lot more authoritative and with more meaning. Ford was lost and grasping for words.

This story has made international news. I watched it on CNN yesterday at a bar and my friend in Norway said it was the top news story there :( Real black eye on the city of Toronto.

Meh, it wasn't a massacre or anything where > 10 people were killed. I actually see it more telling that it's big news when someone is shot in Toronto.

There's no south food court anymore. It got closed down and the area is being renovated. I don't know if they're going to bring the south food court back or not.

There's a relatively small area with chairs and tables for people to have a quick bite, outside the boarded up Queen food court.

Not really surprising considering mall shootings in the US also make their way into our, and international, news.

Still a sad story regardless.

Saw both William Blair and Rob Ford talking about the shooting last night on TV. For unscripted commentary, Blair was a lot more authoritative and with more meaning. Ford was lost and grasping for words.

Ummm...perhaps Blair is used to these scrums when a major incident happens? Perhaps Ford gets very shaken up when he hears youth being shot (especially when he has kids and coaches youth in football).

Last edited:
Blair definitely did the better sound bite. Rob was totally out of his element and didn't know what to say - probably because no one scripted anything for him. It was rather embarrassing and painful to listen to him

Back