News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It is also ironic given both sides of the mouth that City administration is speaking out of. They continue to speak out about having a vibrant downtown and people downtown supporting business while at the same time they are the only level of government that hasn't mandated an X number of days required in the office for their employees, last I know about (unless someone can confirm that has changed?).
I think they have mandated office days as well. I'm guessing either 2 or 3, similar to the GoA. Last time I was at Edmonton Tower the week before, it was extremely busy

This is from last year too but I don't think they've changed anything yet https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmo...-employees-return-to-work-on-monday-1.6407898

Street facing retail! On the first floor! In front of 102 Ave! With glass windows! Come on LaSalle!

My dream is to one day have either a T&T or some form of specialty Asian food market there. With the amount of people steadily visiting from Millwoods, I have hope (or at least a restaurant or two tbh)

What does it mean for the core? Healthier eating options, remaining more affordable fast food places will probably do better.

We don't need overpriced, poor quality corporate chains. Their departure is actually good for people's physical and financial health.

They are the food equivalent of a pay day loan store. Their departure is actually a good thing.

I go to the food court in Commerce Place regularly (closer for me than City Centre). I seldom went to the McDonalds there and can't say I miss it.

There are a couple locally owned independents there, I feel are quite good and I go to, as well as some of the other places there.

What does it mean for the core? Healthier eating options, remaining more affordable fast food places will probably do better.

We don't need overpriced, poor quality corporate chains. Their departure is actually good for people's physical and financial health.

They are the food equivalent of a pay day loan store. Their departure is actually a good thing.

Sure, but it's highly indicative of other issues when corporate brands start leaving. I don't eat much fast-food anymore, but it is yet another canary in the coal mine.

No. Actually as has already been mentioned a number of times, McDonald's closed its Commerce Place location several years ago. The food court there continues on much the same.

I suspect whatever remains City Centre will not be very affected by this. McDonalds has priced itself out of the more price sensitive locations and I am good with that.

I think a McDonalds makes sense near 109 st/Jasper, or perhaps a few blocks further west on 112 st/Jasper, but that's really it for Downtown/Oliver. Anywhere further west and you're stopping on the toes of the 104 ave Oliver location.

It's quite sad that our CBD cannot support a McDonalds anymore though, or even a Subway, which have been closing throughout the CBD as well. Ditto for Starbucks, though that has more to do with a change in corporate strategy. How much longer until we lose the Tim Hortons in Commerce Place?

Tough times indeed in the core.

Actually there is a Subway in Commerce Place, I think one on Jasper Ave and 100 St, one on 100 Ave and 107 Street, one in the Edmonton Tower and one on 108 St and Jasper, so that's five locations in the core.

So Subway 5, McDonalds 0. Also, I think Tim Hortons has at least three locations in the downtown core as well. Both have outlasted and I would say out competed McDonalds.

However, I agree a street front location some where downtown would be better that a food court for McDonalds, as it could get more traffic and have longer hours. IMO, 109 St would be a good spot.

The McD's on Jasper and 117st closed many years ago now (Serenity condo lot) due to lagging sales and 'disorder'.

No. Actually as has already been mentioned a number of times, McDonald's closed its Commerce Place location several years ago. The food court there continues on much the same.

I suspect whatever remains City Centre will not be very affected by this. McDonalds has priced itself out of the more price sensitive locations and I am good with that.

McDonald's didn't close it, the franchisee did and he happens to own the ECC location too.

Huh? Priced out of what/where?

This is a direct result of a lack of traffic, period, and is indicative of other issues Edmonton and other Downtowns are facing, but disproportionate issues in YEGDT.

McDonald's should open somewhere in ICE District. They could help kick-start the Stantec food court, which is still a ghost town despite lots of people sitting there.
Or if they're still keen on a 24 hr drive-thru, how about the Arlington site?

McDonald's didn't close it, the franchisee did and he happens to own the ECC location too.

Huh? Priced out of what/where?

This is a direct result of a lack of traffic, period, and is indicative of other issues Edmonton and other Downtowns are facing, but disproportionate issues in YEGDT.
Priced out - Subway 5, McDonalds 0, Tim Hortons 3, McDonalds 0.

Yes, downtown foods courts have more limited hours and are less accessible, which is why a street front location downtown might actually work better for their business model.

It doesn't have to have a drive through, which I think they can't get past. None of the Subways or Tim Hortons downtown have drive throughs.

Maybe its a slow news day, but I find the doom and gloom over reaction to this particular closing a bit too much. In case it was missed, there were far more consequential places that closed, people aren't drawn to downtown to go to a McDonalds in a food court, really.

Back