News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Timmy's facing 102 Avenue at 102 Street would make a lot of sense. HOWEVER, until disorder around there is addressed it's unlikely to happen. Commerce Place Timmy's is relocating internally for that reason.

I never went into the Tim Hortons at Commerce Place since it's always resembled scenes from the Mad Max movies.
ECC already has 2 Tim Hortons locations so I doubt they need a 3rd location.

Most of these businesses wont entertain a location that doesn't allow for drive through.
Most of these businesses won't entertain a location that doesn't allow for drive through in Edmonton

Here, fixed it.

You'll see plenty of them in other cities, even Calgary, which is not that much different from Edmonton in the grand scheme of things.

I love this city, and I'm very invested in its success, and in a better urban experience here, but I gotta say I ABSOLUTELY HATE that we're probably the biggest example of Drive Thru culture out of all major cities in Canada.
And that's on a personal level (I absolutely loathe using drive thrus myself, except for things like getting drinks for a road trip) and from an urban experience point of view.

Most of these businesses won't entertain a location that doesn't allow for drive through in Edmonton

Here, fixed it.

You'll see plenty of them in other cities, even Calgary, which is not that much different from Edmonton in the grand scheme of things.

I love this city, and I'm very invested in its success, and in a better urban experience here, but I gotta say I ABSOLUTELY HATE that we're probably the biggest example of Drive Thru culture out of all major cities in Canada.
And that's on a personal level (I absolutely loathe using drive thrus myself, except for things like getting drinks for a road trip) and from an urban experience point of view.
No not “IN EDMONTON” pretty much anywhere.

Startbucks stated focus from its International headquarters is that of a focus on dive through locations.

Please don’t “FIX” my post. Feel free to write your own.

You are not going to get an ok for a franchise, such as McDonalds, with out 24 hour/extended access, easily accessible cargo delivery and drive through. Please dont make the conditions of New York the norm across North America, its simply not the case.

Startbucks stated focus from its International headquarters is that of a focus on dive through locations.
And yet, they have 6 locations in DT Calgary, and about 20 in Vancouver, all while closing ours, to the point in which we only really have one street facing store DT (which is fairly busy, btw), and none on Whyte.

Calgary also has two McDonald's and 6 A&Ws (half of which are street facing, none of which has a drive thru). We have a total of ZERO of either, DT, and only the one A&W on Whyte and one McDonald's on 109st/85ave.

No one here is applying NYC conditions to anything, but Edmonton does seem to get the short end of the stick, amongst major Canadian cities, regarding stores from fast food franchises in our more urban neighborhoods.

In the case of Calgary, in Particular, a bunch of the ones they have are focused on smaller stores directly around transit, which could very well work. We actually have some proof of concept for it being successful in Edmonton: the Tim Hortons at Corona is always packed, and the Subway by Central is always fairly busy, as well.

i
I dunno if you've bothered venturing into downtown, but the Wendys/Tims on 104 Ave has 2 drive-thrus, and the Burger King near Jasper/109 St had a drive-thru (it's now a Popeyes).
Yes, which is exactly what I was saying.

Big chain fast food
wants a drive through

And yet, they have 6 locations in DT Calgary, and about 20 in Vancouver, all while closing ours, to the point in which we only really have one street facing store DT (which is fairly busy, btw), and none on Whyte.

Calgary also has two McDonald's and 6 A&Ws (half of which are street facing, none of which has a drive thru). We have a total of ZERO of either, DT, and only the one A&W on Whyte and one McDonald's on 109st/85ave.

No one here is applying NYC conditions to anything, but Edmonton does seem to get the short end of the stick, amongst major Canadian cities, regarding stores from fast food franchises in our more urban neighborhoods.

In the case of Calgary, in Particular, a bunch of the ones they have are focused on smaller stores directly around transit, which could very well work. We actually have some proof of concept for it being successful in Edmonton: the Tim Hortons at Corona is always packed, and the Subway by Central is always fairly busy, as well.
Extended hours and drive through. How many of those are new franchises? How many were opened in the last 2 years?

Out of the entire book of franchise locations do you highlight the norm or the exception?

You dont have to like where a publicly traded company states they are going to throw their attention and resources, but that doesnt mean one can pretend like they didn't say it.

Extended hours and drive through. How many of those are new franchises? How many were opened in the last 2 years?
2 of the Calgary Starbucks and 1 of the A&Ws and at least 4 of the Vancouver ones were opened in the last 2 years.

In the same period (maybe a little longer) starbucks closed 3 DT/Oliver locations, McDonald's closed 2.

I never said that other cities don't get the focus on drive thru, but it is WORSE in Edmonton, because it seems like car-centrism is far worse here than other major Canadian cities. Is it that hard to understand this logic?

How did the DT Calgary Starbucks locations survive the cut yet the two busiest Edmonton urban locations, 109/Jasper and Whyte were both shuttered? Unless I'm completely missing something, I can't imagine they were losing money—they were both consistently very busy. I hope they decide to open the one in Ice District.

And edit to this: I believe part of the answer is Edmonton is consistently treated as a second-rate city, despite a population similar in size to Calgary and Ottawa—everyone from both fed. and prov. levels of gov't., to corporations, to developers. Leave a giant pit in the middle of downtown? Who cares, it's Edmonton. A little provincial funding for our major city-changing arena project? Nahhh, but here's a couple hundred million Calgary—love you! Business is great at our DT Edmonton location, but it doesn't have a drive-thru. Well, neither do our our Calgary and Otta..CLOSE IT.

Last edited:
How did the DT Calgary Starbucks locations survive the cut yet the two busiest Edmonton urban locations, 109/Jasper and Whyte were both shuttered? Unless I'm completely missing something, I can't imagine they were losing money—they were both consistently very busy. I hope they decide to open the one in Ice District.

And edit to this: I believe part of the answer is Edmonton is consistently treated as a second-rate city, despite a population similar in size to Calgary and Ottawa—everyone from both fed. and prov. levels of gov't., to corporations, to developers. Leave a giant pit in the middle of downtown? Who cares, it's Edmonton. A little provincial funding for our major city-changing arena project? Nahhh, but here's a couple hundred million Calgary—love you! Business is great at our DT Edmonton location, but it doesn't have a drive-thru. Well, neither do our our Calgary and Otta..CLOSE IT.
You are being too sensitive. If the edmonton locations were the top grossing ones in the city, they would be open.

Why have those Calgary locals survived? who knows. Franchise stores? Lease hasn't renewed? Agreements in place with corporate landlords who dont operate in Edmonton? Could be any number of things.. could be RPS pulling out so many police resources from downtown and it became a safety concern…. we dont know. We could try wring starbucks corporate and asking, whoever the ceo stating they were going to focus on food and drive through may be the key. I believe that CEO was also removed last year, so who knows what you will see moving forward.

There are a lot of reasons. Corporation's don’t bring up specific business criteria for Edmonton.

When I lived downtown I went anywhere BUT starbucks.

Not to get too far into this… Starbuck’s focus is not the local market, is going through strikes and is trying to “elevate” the brand.

I am not going to view Edmonton through the lenses of a corporation that is struggling due to poor decision making.

Back