News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I can't believe people are actually hand wringing over McDonald's closing. it's fast food and there are literally hundreds of other options downtown and various new eating places opening up regularly.

Again, I suspect the fascination is with how that McDonalds in ECC was easily multiple times busier than any other offering in that food court. However, it being the same franchisee as CP location and how that was handled kind of makes me think the owner was just running out the leases and getting out of the business.

If I remember right that McDonald's was open intermittently anyways, I'm personally not going to miss it. The fat man in me would rather have A&W in that food court anyway.

I can't believe people are actually hand wringing over McDonald's closing. it's fast food and there are literally hundreds of other options downtown and various new eating places opening up regularly.

It's somewhat hYlarious, yes, but also indicative of a much large issue*.

*not transfats or processed foods.

Subway 5, McDonalds 0, Tim Hortons 3, McDonalds 0.

And 2 Starbucks (Matrix Hotel and Commerce Place), or 4 if you count the MacEwan and Save On Foods ones as well. That said, I'd love to see a Starbucks Reserve on ICE district.

I agree with @IanO that the loss of the McDonald's per she is not the issue, but it's a symptom of a larger problem. Still, I would like to have more street facing options for all of these, especially if they could be open late and on weekends. As much as I don't necessarily eat there frequently, it wouldn't hurt to have an A&W, McDonalds and Wendy's that we're open until late and on weekends, downtown.

There is a Wendys/Tim Hortons location at 104 Ave and 110 Street.
I'm wondering if Burger King will ever return to downtown. I miss the Burger King near Jasper Ave/109 St.

A ground floor unit in City Centre facing 102 Ave with both street facing and internal entrances would seem like the perfect place for a fast food franchise now that the LRT is open.
Whether it's a Mcdonald's, A&W, Timmies or whatever, there's a ton of business you'd pick up from commuters right there; "I just wanna grab something quick" on their way to wherever. But barely anyone is going to make that same impulse decision if they have to climb all the way up to the third floor.
It's critical it has an outdoor entrance though so they're not beholden to the mall's schedule.

Timmy's facing 102 Avenue at 102 Street would make a lot of sense. HOWEVER, until disorder around there is addressed it's unlikely to happen. Commerce Place Timmy's is relocating internally for that reason.

So disorder is still a significant problem there obviously. Disappointing that there's been no improvement.

Timmy's facing 102 Avenue at 102 Street would make a lot of sense. HOWEVER, until disorder around there is addressed it's unlikely to happen. Commerce Place Timmy's is relocating internally for that reason.
Are they taking over the McDonald's space?

And 2 Starbucks (Matrix Hotel and Commerce Place), or 4 if you count the MacEwan and Save On Foods ones as well. That said, I'd love to see a Starbucks Reserve on ICE district.

I agree with @IanO that the loss of the McDonald's per she is not the issue, but it's a symptom of a larger problem. Still, I would like to have more street facing options for all of these, especially if they could be open late and on weekends. As much as I don't necessarily eat there frequently, it wouldn't hurt to have an A&W, McDonalds and Wendy's that we're open until late and on weekends, downtown.
The larger problems happened several years ago or more. If it took one tenant in a food court closing, (where by the way over half a dozen are still remaining) to catch their attention or for the m to wake up they are really slow.

What is missed in all the wailing here is there is actually a reasonably good selection of fast food places downtown, at least for those of us who are willing to entertain other choices than McDonalds.

I am downtown every day and go to eat at various such places for lunch often. There are stores that closed downtown I miss, but I really don't feel this one is some sort of great blow.

A ground floor unit in City Centre facing 102 Ave with both street facing and internal entrances would seem like the perfect place for a fast food franchise now that the LRT is open.
Whether it's a Mcdonald's, A&W, Timmies or whatever, there's a ton of business you'd pick up from commuters right there; "I just wanna grab something quick" on their way to wherever. But barely anyone is going to make that same impulse decision if they have to climb all the way up to the third floor.
It's critical it has an outdoor entrance though so they're not beholden to the mall's schedule.
Exactly! Not sure if it is against the law or just frowned on in Edmonton, but there are malls elsewhere that have this sort of configuration. It can work.

Back