News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It's not related to that, but far more related to a severe lack of foot traffic vis-a-via pre-COVID and disorder.

So much for ECC's highly vaunted Elevated Food Fare.
I think a reopening of McDs somewhere in ICE District is called for.
I thought it was a poor idea from the start and a waste of time, focus and money by the mall. Rather than fixing the fundamental problems, the previous owners just shuffled things around a lot.

Several escalators and stairs to go up to get there. It is kind of hidden away. I know it has always been hard to fill the third floor, it is a dead zone, but putting the food court there hasn't made it more accessible.

I can only hope the plan for a Food Court in the south west corner of the old Bay space will eventually come to fruition and better sense will eventually prevail.

I thought it was a poor idea from the start and a waste of time, focus and money by the mall. Rather than fixing the fundamental problems, the previous owners just shuffled things around a lot.

Several escalators and stairs to go up to get there. It is kind of hidden away. I know it has always been hard to fill the third floor, it is a dead zone, but putting the food court there hasn't made it more accessible.

I can only hope the plan for a Food Court in the south west corner of the old Bay space will eventually come to fruition and better sense will eventually prevail.

💯
With train now in operation, imagine all those food joints at ground level facing the street. Much more visible, time efficient and profitable.

Looks like the last McDonald's downtown, the one located in the City Center Mall Food Court is officially closed and boarded up as of today.

Add the Commerce Place McDonalds closure as well recently and now there's a pretty big gap downtown...
IMO not a bad thing being cleansed of a low quality, but surprisingly expensive corporate chain. I suspect more than one person put a curse on them after they muscled out the nice Daily Planet in Commerce Place.

I've been kind of quietly boycotting them since they raised their prices quite a bit and I suspect I'm probably not the only one.

That's a surprise as it was always busy when I've gone.
Completely agree. It was easily multiple times busier than any other offering in the ECC food court.

A third floor food court can work, if the mall actually has the stores to attract visitors. Yorkdale Mall has the highest sales per Sqft in Canada and their food court is tucked away on a second level (rest of the mall is on the first level) which takes multiple stairs or two escalators to reach.

Toronto -- ptui, ptui, ptui!!!
Well if it works in Toronto!

Actually, I feel a second level food court would have probably worked relatively well here too. Unfortunately, there is a difference between being tucked away on the second level and even more so on the third level.

It's sad to see especially since Alberta businesses have pushed harder than other provinces for workers to return to the office, yet City Centre Mall isn't reaping the benefits.

Maybe the strategy is to empty the mall out enough for a full redevelopment and hope to start over with a clean slate. Either way it's a pretty grim look...

It's sad to see especially since Alberta businesses have pushed harder than other provinces for workers to return to the office, yet City Centre Mall isn't reaping the benefits.
It is also ironic given both sides of the mouth that City administration is speaking out of. They continue to speak out about having a vibrant downtown and people downtown supporting business while at the same time they are the only level of government that hasn't mandated an X number of days required in the office for their employees, last I know about (unless someone can confirm that has changed?).

Back