News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

One firm that is always under the radar is Silent Aire. I remember working with them back in 1994. Now they are in the US and Europe. They were bought by Johnston Controls back in 2021 but are still a huge presence here.
And yet they are not as well used locally.
https://www.silent-aire.com/facilities/

I only brought this up as I was talking with some Trane Reps.

A few pieces of miscellaneous news:

'Action 3: Increase efficiency and improve business processes for industrial development.'

I don't see anything about making Edmonton a more competitive tax environment and to work on keeping tax increases under control, accountability with spending and a more cost-competitive environment overall.

---
Industrial Investment Action Plan creates roadmap for long-term economic success
July 9, 2024

The City has launched its new Industrial Investment Action Plan (IIAP), a roadmap for attracting investment into our city, growing and diversifying our economy and increasing our industrial tax base.

“Our city is growing at an unprecedented rate, and we’re working hard to support that growth by building an economy that is sustainable and resilient,” said Ian Gallagher, Director of Regional Development. “The IIAP will not only solidify Edmonton as a great place to invest, but it will drive innovation and economic initiatives that make our entire region more prosperous.”

The IIAP brings together past and current industrial investment attraction work and ensures a balance of the current challenges with future opportunities. Industrial investment and growth are essential to the city’s long-term fiscal sustainability, helping create the conditions for a healthy, urban and resilient economy.

The IIAP aims to meet its goal of expanding our industrial areas through nine distinct actions:
Action 1: Market and promote the industrial advantages of Edmonton.
Action 2: Establish and maintain an industrial infrastructure prioritization tool.
Action 3: Increase efficiency and improve business processes for industrial development.
Action 4: Develop a guiding framework for flexibility in the City’s design standards.
Action 5: Work with Indigenous communities, organizations and businesses to identify barriers and advance Indigenous industrial economic development in Edmonton.
Action 6: Remove barriers for ethnocultural and all equity deserving communities for participating in Edmotnon’s industrial development.
Action 7: Continue to collaborate with regional partners, Indigenous communities and investment groups, and regional economic development agencies on economic development activities.
Action 8: Identify and tailor programs and incentives for target sectors that will provide a strong return to the City’s tax base and advance strategic objectives.
Action 9: Monitor progress and results of the Industrial Investment Action Plan.

The first Industrial Investment Action Plan was developed in 2016, and the refreshed plan helps address changes in the global energy market, environment and climate considerations as well as the strategic goals of the City laid out in The City Plan and the Economic Action Plan.

The IIAP will be the cornerstone of a strategic approach to industrial growth where people with great ideas stay and succeed, businesses see Edmonton as a great place to invest and our economy is responsive to climate change. Administration will return to Council in the first quarter of 2025 with an implementation plan which will outline the roll out of the IIAP.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/industrialinvestmentplan

Media contact:
Courtney Bettin
Communications Advisor
Urban Planning and Economy
780-288-5922

'Action 3: Increase efficiency and improve business processes for industrial development.'

I don't see anything about making Edmonton a more competitive tax environment and to work on keeping tax increases under control, accountability with spending and a more cost-competitive environment overall.

---
Industrial Investment Action Plan creates roadmap for long-term economic success
July 9, 2024

The City has launched its new Industrial Investment Action Plan (IIAP), a roadmap for attracting investment into our city, growing and diversifying our economy and increasing our industrial tax base.

“Our city is growing at an unprecedented rate, and we’re working hard to support that growth by building an economy that is sustainable and resilient,” said Ian Gallagher, Director of Regional Development. “The IIAP will not only solidify Edmonton as a great place to invest, but it will drive innovation and economic initiatives that make our entire region more prosperous.”

The IIAP brings together past and current industrial investment attraction work and ensures a balance of the current challenges with future opportunities. Industrial investment and growth are essential to the city’s long-term fiscal sustainability, helping create the conditions for a healthy, urban and resilient economy.

The IIAP aims to meet its goal of expanding our industrial areas through nine distinct actions:
Action 1: Market and promote the industrial advantages of Edmonton.
Action 2: Establish and maintain an industrial infrastructure prioritization tool.
Action 3: Increase efficiency and improve business processes for industrial development.
Action 4: Develop a guiding framework for flexibility in the City’s design standards.
Action 5: Work with Indigenous communities, organizations and businesses to identify barriers and advance Indigenous industrial economic development in Edmonton.
Action 6: Remove barriers for ethnocultural and all equity deserving communities for participating in Edmotnon’s industrial development.
Action 7: Continue to collaborate with regional partners, Indigenous communities and investment groups, and regional economic development agencies on economic development activities.
Action 8: Identify and tailor programs and incentives for target sectors that will provide a strong return to the City’s tax base and advance strategic objectives.
Action 9: Monitor progress and results of the Industrial Investment Action Plan.

The first Industrial Investment Action Plan was developed in 2016, and the refreshed plan helps address changes in the global energy market, environment and climate considerations as well as the strategic goals of the City laid out in The City Plan and the Economic Action Plan.

The IIAP will be the cornerstone of a strategic approach to industrial growth where people with great ideas stay and succeed, businesses see Edmonton as a great place to invest and our economy is responsive to climate change. Administration will return to Council in the first quarter of 2025 with an implementation plan which will outline the roll out of the IIAP.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/industrialinvestmentplan

Media contact:
Courtney Bettin
Communications Advisor
Urban Planning and Economy
780-288-5922
A couple of thoughts:

1. Pretty weak looking plan - if your first action is to market and promote the advantages of Edmonton.....then what have you been doing all this time???? And more specifically, how do you intend to do that? I know for a fact the Calgary Economic Development group has an army of business development folks who are relentlessly cold calling, attending prospective investors sites, combined with a strong marketing campaign.
2. Now I am confused, so the City of Edmonton is pushing this plan. So then what exactly is the purpose of Edmonton Global? Are there now two entities that are going to be doing the same thing?

NAIOP Edmonton

Edmonton's share of the region's non-residential assessment dropped from 72% in 2008 to 60% in 2022.

And that’s putting pressure on the remaining tax-payers.

Residential taxes are up, and industrial taxes are now more than 2.5x higher in Edmonton than in the region.

We're only winning 1/3 of new industrial businesses inside the city limits, and that could cause major problems for the future of our city’s finances.

That's why NAIOP pushed for, and collaborated with the city on, the creation of a new Industrial Action Plan.

Learn more at https://lnkd.in/grRUFXtj

A couple of thoughts:

1. Pretty weak looking plan - if your first action is to market and promote the advantages of Edmonton.....then what have you been doing all this time???? And more specifically, how do you intend to do that? I know for a fact the Calgary Economic Development group has an army of business development folks who are relentlessly cold calling, attending prospective investors sites, combined with a strong marketing campaign.
2. Now I am confused, so the City of Edmonton is pushing this plan. So then what exactly is the purpose of Edmonton Global? Are there now two entities that are going to be doing the same thing?
The more I think about it, the more I realize how useless Edmonton Global really is. How the hell is it possible that one strategy is to market and promote the advantages of Edmonton? It doesn't take a highly specialized expert to realize that's what you need to do to try attracting business to the city.

The more I think about it, the more I realize how useless Edmonton Global really is. How the hell is it possible that one strategy is to market and promote the advantages of Edmonton? It doesn't take a highly specialized expert to realize that's what you need to do to try attracting business to the city.
I have been quite outspoken on this and other forums about Edmonton Global's performance, or lack there of. You can count on one hand the number of companies that have publicly announced investment or relocation to Edmonton due to efforts from Edmonton Global since its inception in 2017, and zero of those investments or relocations have been to downtown Edmonton.

I have been quite outspoken on this and other forums about Edmonton Global's performance, or lack there of. You can count on one hand the number of companies that have publicly announced investment or relocation to Edmonton due to efforts from Edmonton Global since its inception in 2017, and zero of those investments or relocations have been to downtown Edmonton.
I really wish there could be some momentum in calling out Edmonton Global (and even city hall) as to what the hell is it that they've been doing the past few years. I truly do not understand how is it that attracting business here is not a top priority and rarely spoken about in the media.
Part of the important work that needs to be done is retaining the businesses we have. This is a unfortunate bit of news.

Wow, another big blow to downtown.

I know the Oilers playoff run gave downtown a much needed shot in the arm but this success isn't sustainable and we cannot count on unpredictable events to carry momentum forward.

Back