Lol, it would be really Edmonton if they invited media to simply unveil a parking lot with a small park attached.
For some reason, that brings to mind the unveiling ceremony for Wayne Gretzky Drive. The tarp got partially caught on the sign as Gretzky himself and others looked on...
Good times, Edmonton. Keep being awkward ?

Maybe there will be a children's choir and fireworks for Phase 2?

If its a media event, 3 possibilities come to mind... 1. an event whereby Edmontonians are made promises about the future -- a kind of rerun of past proposals, bringing them to the forefront as reminders ?, 2. an event whereby #1 is reiterated with the addition of some interim plans -- parking plus a park ?, or 3. the unveiling of a new tower structure and podium connection to existing towers -- the iconic structure that was once promised for this site, hopefully with a little more -- no, a lot more -- imagination than that which went into "tower B" ????‍♀️?‍♀️⭐????. Katz and crew have a real opportunity to enhance the public domain with some out-of-the-box thinking here -- some of the elements from the Galleria proposal, for example.
I like your optimism. Make it 300m while we're at it.

Attachments

• 1581019281488.png
    1581019281488.png
    119.7 KB · Views: 195
Can't believe this property has been in the process of obtaining permits for demolition since April 2016 - the start of this discussion thread - if not earlier.

Development of the ICE District has really slowed since Stantec and the JW broke ground. Katz Group is now saying that construction of the Block BG podium will start later this year, whereas we heard during the official announcement last March that it would be open for business Fall 2020. Of course, the economy has a lot to do with that.

@Nosirrah As much as I love vanity projects (i.e., stacking two buildings on top of each other to boost the height like Stantec and JW both did), they do come with a price.

Not saying building out over up would necessarily be better, just pointing out the tradeoff.

@Daveography there should be cost advantages in terms of stacking (reduction in common areas -- better floorplate efficiencies) plus more advantages for tenants in terms of in-building services and shared amenities. These never used to be considered before the advent of mixed use structures -- now they are the new mode.

Back