News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

It may feel like stagnation in the last few years, but a lot of that relates to the effects on travel of COVID. There was actually a lot of expansion to Edmonton's airport after the airport authority took over things and likewise elsewhere to. A lot of expansion and facility improvements were funded by airport fees.

Regardless of who runs the airport itself, the Feds will remain in control of aviation and regulation of airlines, so privatization would probably not change much regarding government management.
By privatizing the airports I would suspect that airline regulations would also beed to change to support the new model and create regulatory equality for risk of lawsuits.

By privatizing the airports I would suspect that airline regulations would also beed to change to support the new model and create regulatory equality for risk of lawsuits.
Spain is a good example of how the Government retains ownership of all airports but has outsourced to a private corporation the operating of all airports in Spain. This same private operator is using the Spanish model in some airports in Latin America (including Mexico) that prefer retention of airport lands and overarching control but seek to gain efficiencies that a private operator may provide. The Government of Canada has a constitutional responsibility but can certainly outsource airport management to a private operator like AENA or another of the many out there in the global market.

Busy evening at YEG when I got back from Italy yesterday. (Feat. our new flight to Frankfurt 🤩)
IMG_3918.jpegIMG_3919.jpeg

How busy was your flight from Frankfurt?
I'll be on that plane in a couple of weeks.
Can’t speak to that yet unfortunately, as I was actually connecting from Rome via Calgary on WestJet 😅 Hope to try it soon though, once my bank account recovers🤞

With Orlando at 95.1% load factor, I could see WestJet looking into Fort Lauderdale.

Denver on United at 92.2% load factor is also extremely strong, and fares are high on that route. Seems like there's money to be made on serving an additional United hub like Chicago. Houston would also perform well I have no doubt.

Los Angeles is also really strong and despite being one of the higher capacity routes is still evidently jam packed.

Honolulu doing well. I don't know if revenue is as strong on Honolulu - tends to have less expensive fares.

Seattle on WestJet could move up to a 737.

There's room for additional US hub service - New York, Dallas, Chicago.

The numbers paint a picture of a pretty strong market in YEG overall.

Last edited:
With Orlando at 95.1% load factor, I could see WestJet looking into Fort Lauderdale.

Denver on United at 92.2% load factor is also extremely strong, and fares are high on that route. Seems like there's money to be made on serving an additional United hub like Chicago. Houston would also perform well I have no doubt.

Los Angeles is also really strong and despite being one of the higher capacity routes is still evidently jam packed.

Honolulu doing well. I don't know if revenue is as strong on Honolulu - tends to have less expensive fares.

Seattle on WestJet could move up to a 737.

There's room for additional US hub service - New York, Dallas, Chicago.

The numbers paint a picture of a pretty strong market in YEG overall.

I think United would go to Chicago first as it would open up more options in the Eastern United States. WJ should almost be looking at how strong United Denver has been and do a flight to NYC to get the Delta network.

I think United would go to Chicago first as it would open up more options in the Eastern United States. WJ should almost be looking at how strong United Denver has been and do a flight to NYC to get the Delta network.

or another major Delta hub like Salt Lake City which I believe we previously had. Calgary has 2 a day.

Last edited:
Westjet with some nice frequency increases this summer. I think Ottawa and Montreal were already discussed but some good connection opportunities through YEG will continue to be available from YQR, YLW, & YXE in particular.

Westjet with some nice frequency increases this summer. I think Ottawa and Montreal were already discussed but some good connection opportunities through YEG will continue to be available from YQR, YLW, & YXE in particular.

AMAZING - is there a link of the new actual flight times?

Back